Gun Show find, today...

PDA

MM
November 4, 2006, 05:50 PM
It's a NIB (unfired, faint ring) 15-8, 4", nickle, oh, and it's also a Performance Center!
SatCong

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Show find, today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
November 4, 2006, 08:56 PM
Very, very nice find indeed~!:cool: Enjoy~!:D

DB
November 4, 2006, 10:04 PM
I've got one of those... They are very nice revolvers. It was a special run done for Lew Horton Distributor a few years ago. I bought one in 2002. I believe they were made in 2001 or early 2002. Right after buying mine I wrote Lew Horton an e-mail asking how many were made. They answered back that only about 150 nickel 15-8s in that series were produced. I paid about $500 NIB for mine at a gun show. A guy on Gunbroker was selling one in 2004 with a starting bid of $550. In August of this year, another guy on GunsAmerica was advertising a pair of them (I think they may have had sequential serial #s) for $1679. Apparently there is a special series of serial numbers S&W assigned to these models. Mine is "NSC00XX". Out of curiosity, do you mind me asking how much you paid for yours SatKong?

SSN Vet
November 4, 2006, 10:20 PM
very, very nice!

congratualations

MachIVshooter
November 5, 2006, 01:06 AM
very pretty. S&W seems to be one of the best in the industry when it comes to tasteful nickel and wood guns.

MM
November 5, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks, all, y'all OBVIOUSLY have very discerning taste! DB, he had it marked at $629.00 but he and I have done biz several times (he deals only in high quality older weaps), mostly smith. It was down to a flawless model 57 albet, no box, and the combat masterpiece. We talked it over, considering either one purchased would be a non-shooter--collectibility driving my decision, him saying the big bore popularity may just be a fad but any performance center/Lew Horton gun would always have appeal. The fact the box ("Heritage Series") and papers--including a cool Performance Center pricing table circa 2000-- were there, sealed the choice.
All said and done, $583.00, OTD. Besides, the model 57 has been in the case for a year, so maybe next time...
SatCong
P.S. either 1500 or 2000 were originally made, according to my dealer.

tallpaul
November 5, 2006, 05:55 PM
hmm who to believe.. lets see...

Lew Horten himself who had them made or a "gun dealer" at a gun show... Now thats a tough decision :neener:

MM
November 5, 2006, 09:46 PM
Obviously, I would prefer to believe the lower number quote. However, I have found this "dealer" to be a wealth of accurate knowledge, who's info is factual and reputable.
SatCong

jaysouth
November 5, 2006, 09:56 PM
that was dirty, I would have paid his asking price. When I went by his table, he told me about you getting there first.

I saw several colts at the show, but I figured that if you had passed them up, they were probably overpriced.

On a good day when satkong has a pocket full of folding, there are no colts left after about 9:30.

Yes, I trust this guy, he is a walking Smith and Supica.

Bullet Bob
November 5, 2006, 10:00 PM
Your dealer's memory has added an "0". The first number was correct for the 4" nickel ones. There were about 200 of the case-hardened ones, and I can't remember the number right off of the "Ed McGivern" 6" models with the non-ribbed barrels. I'm still on the hunt for one of those. Of course the Heritage series also had 17's, 24's, 25's, 1917's, and 29's. The total number of any one model was fairly low.

http://fototime.com/5CF79B3BDC7B4C7/standard.jpg

XavierBreath
November 5, 2006, 10:04 PM
"Ed McGivern" 6" models with the non-ribbed barrels
Like this one? I got mine from CDNN a coupla years back.

http://www.bayourovers.com/smithandwessonmodel15-9ooooo76532.jpg

MM
November 5, 2006, 10:44 PM
Jay,
Considering the amount of "folding'" I have (happily) spent with Ken, I think he was, wisely, only insuring my continued custom. In any case, he seldom budges much off his posted price, cause he knows he has a great product with few or any competitors, at any price, and unlike web purchases you get to know the merch before any deal is made. I always have a good feeling when dealing with him and look forward to the opportunity to do so again.
Sorry 'bout snaking your score, I actually spent a coupla hours musing on the purchase, had you gotten there first, I would have been sorely dissappointed.
Guns are not my only investment, but they are sure a lot more intriquing than any Roth IRA!
BTW, he said he will make the Smyrna show in Dec....
Considering his prices, well, he has to make a living and Ken's retail is usually a very fair quote. Some of the other dealers in the building are so high on current models, I would hate to have to do biz with them on any piece that is considered "co(o)lectible".
SatCong

P.S. Here's a previous purchase from Ken--LNIB 629 (endurance) 3" unfluted, not many of these, perhaps 3000, made, according to Ken.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Show find, today..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!