Question on S&W 66

PDA

RM
November 4, 2006, 09:32 PM
I recently bought a used S&W Model 66-2. The gun seems to be in excellent condition, but I have a question about it's function. When I slowly pull the trigger, I hear one click, but not a a second click. I think this second click indicates that the cylinder is locked in place. In "Trigger Job," Jerry Miculek states you should hear this second click. Is this a problem? I have not shot the gun yet to test it's function. Thank you for any replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W 66" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
baker
November 5, 2006, 10:08 AM
2nd click is really quiet on my 65, but present. At faster speeds, the cylinder rotates and locks in place faster, and the click is louder.

my 66 clicks a little louder, but neither is as loud or predictable as my 640. The 66 and 65 are older, P&R guns.

Majic
November 5, 2006, 10:56 AM
Try rotating the cylinder slightly. The revolver may be slightly out of time, but don't worry as a vast majority of them are that way. Before the hammer falls it will be pushed up into the lock position.

bakert
November 6, 2006, 09:18 AM
Both clicks are present but very quiet in my 66-2. Of course after 50++ years of shooting (with no ear protection in the early years) and 35 yrs as a pipefitter in a noisy rubber and chemical factory I can't hear myself--- ,well y'all know what I mean.:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on S&W 66" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!