WTK: Winchester 30-30 Price check

PDA

LightningLink
May 19, 2003, 11:46 AM
Local gunshop has a used Winchester Model 94 in 30-30.

Serial number is in the 4 million range. Does NOT have the "cross-bolt" safety. Any idea where this puts it date-wise?

Exterior is in excellent condition. Receiver is a sort of "case hardened" type finish with the rest being blued. In fact, it looks so good that I tend to think it has been refinished, although professionally done. Wood is likewise excellent (smooth type, not checkered).

Front sight is an orange fiber-optic type with a Lyman peep sight mounted at the rear (rear leaf sight removed with a stub in place). I don't know if the Lyman is original to the rifle, but it uses the original side mount holes they had before they switched to top mount holes in front of the ejection port. I have to say, the one thing that really attracts me to this rifle is the sight picture is awesome. The front sight looks almost like a red-dot and was very easy to acquire a good sight picture.

Now, the bad: the bore is very bright and shiny with very strong rifling. Looks almost perfect except that there is some pitting. Not the kind you normally see that runs all the way down the rifling, but instead spots here and there towards the muzzle. Also, the crown has a kind-of rough finish as if someone shot corrosive ammo at some time. Would it be a big deal to have it re-crowned just for aesthetic reasons? (assuming it shoots good).

The tag price is $219 and they will go as low as $205. Is this a decent price for a used Win 94? The biggest gamble of course is the bore. I've had much worse looking bores shot very accurate (more than I'm capable of).

Thanks for any input.
:confused: LL :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "WTK: Winchester 30-30 Price check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kaylee
May 19, 2003, 12:07 PM
sounds about run of the mill for out here. (lewiston area of idaho)

-K

kumma
May 19, 2003, 12:15 PM
i dont see how you can go wrong. 200 bucks seems reasonable from what i've seen. if i were looking for another 94 i might buy it, dont know about the fiber optic sight though. even if it doenst shoot to good you can hang up over the fire place based on the looks of it.

GooseGestapo
May 19, 2003, 12:20 PM
Price is a bit high. A local pawn shop has two for 149.00 with sling and side mounted "economy" 4x scope and sling w/swivels, condition about what you described. Another at 129.00 plain with swivels and sling. Prices are negotiable down about 5-10% too. Consider that the sight set up is 75.00. So, if you can talk him down another 15.00-20.00 your there. But if not, and you really want the rifle, its just 20.00. You'll blow that on something else if you don't by the gun!

Newt
May 19, 2003, 02:34 PM
I don't know if this helps you any or not, but I bought mine new about 2 and a half years ago and I gave almost exactly 250.00 for mine. It was on sale though. It is a newer model with the additional safety. Just my 2 cents.

Newt

six 4 sure
May 19, 2003, 06:03 PM
Seems about the right price to me.

Six

LightningLink
May 19, 2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Factoring in the Lyman 66A which runs $55-60 new, it kinda puts the rifle more around $150. I'm assuming the replacement front sight adds a little value too, but probably not much. Again, if it wasn't for the slight pitting in the bore and the rough crown, I would have it home already. I think at the "adjusted" price though, it's worth a gamble.

I'll stop by there tomorrow on the way home and pick it up if it's still there. I'll post pictures if I do get it.

Thanks again.
:cool: LL :cool:

LightningLink
May 20, 2003, 06:31 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought it. Serial number is #46080xx. Does this put it somewhere around late 70's, early 80's?

Here's a picture. I'm lousy with the digital camera so you have to take my word that it looks nicer than the photo shows.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=285256

:D LL :D

WhoKnowsWho
May 20, 2003, 07:02 PM
Heck, I would have paid that much for it!

Been waiting to find a lever action under $250 that is that nice...

If you enjoyed reading about "WTK: Winchester 30-30 Price check" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!