Question on Hawken style rifle

PDA

boogalou
November 5, 2006, 10:35 AM
I was at a antique shop with my wife the other day and seen a nice replica Hawken rifle under glass. The lady there didn't know anything about it and the person selling the rifle wasn't available, so I couldn't get a closer look at it.

It had a browned barrel, with standard sights, at least 32" long, and at least 1" across the flats, with double tenons and a pewter or silver nosecap. The lock was percussion with some light engraving, and had a clean-out screw on the breechplug?, not the traditional hawken type. The rest of the furniture was brass.

At first I thought it was a Browning or lyman because of the double tenons but I don't think the breechplug was right. I don't know of any other commercial maker who used double tenons with a browned barrel, anyone have any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Hawken style rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plink
November 5, 2006, 06:08 PM
There are a number of Hawkens on the market now. It could be a Pedersoli Tryon or Rocky Mountain Hawken as both have double tenons. There are also a number of custom builders making them also.

Jamie C.
November 5, 2006, 06:53 PM
Had an old Hawken identical to that... Browned instead of blued, double tenon, pewter end cap, set triggers, brass front sight.

Never did know who made it, since there were no maker's marks anywhere on the gun.

It was .50 cal, btw.

J.C.

Joe Gunns
November 10, 2006, 06:11 PM
Not sure but IIRC it might be a Conncticut Valley Arms (CVA)offering from the 1970's. I dont remember who made them for that company.

boogalou
November 10, 2006, 08:15 PM
Joe - I did some looking on the internet and it was a CVA mountain rifle from that they made in the 1970's. I found a closeup of the lockplate and it had the same engraving as the one in the antique shop. I understand the quality of CVA rifles were better back then but didn't find any info on who made them at the time.

arcticap
November 11, 2006, 03:45 AM
Some of the early CVA's were built with U.S. made Douglas barrels.
I recently bought an old Dixie model rifle without any identifying marks on it that I've been reliably told is a Douglas barrel.
It should be marked "Spain" if it was a later imported CVA Mountain Rifle.

You can see the oversized drum and clean out screw in one of the pictures of my rifle:
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=231608

gunny1022
November 11, 2006, 06:17 AM
Traded for a beautiful Tennessee Mountain Rifle long ago with a striped maple stock. Sold it to pay some bills. Someone said Dixie sold them. Looking to find another. Anyone know who sells them now?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on Hawken style rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!