scope

PDA

aligator
November 5, 2006, 02:14 PM
Back in 1966, living in Montana, I bought a Remingyon 700 BDL 30-06. It had a Lyman 3X scope. Wearing glasses I could never learn to use the scope. My question is, Is ther a scope style better for some one with glasses or do I just need to practice.

If you enjoyed reading about "scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hoghunting
November 5, 2006, 03:41 PM
I also wear glasses and don't have any problems with rifle or pistol scopes. Scopes have changed since 1966, so try looking through them now. The problem could have been that the lense needed to be adjusted to your eye. Go to a sporting goods store in your area and look through the scopes.

cheaptrick
November 5, 2006, 06:15 PM
What type of hunting/shooting are you planning on doing?
Budget??

Optics have gotten MUCH better since '66, to say the least.

Shawnee
November 5, 2006, 06:25 PM
Hi Aligator...

Your 1966 experiences could have been because the scope was not mounted correctly - back far enough to provide you with comfortable eye-relief, to be specific. That happened a lot back then and does so to a lesser extent today too.
Not all scopes fit all rifles well, so there is much more to choosing and mounting a scope than twirling the screwdriver.
One of the best, but most "unsung", advantages of using one of the "short-action" calibers (.22/250, .243, 7mm/08, .308 etc.) is they allow receivers to be slightly shorter which in turn enables much more lattitude in mounting a scope.

Give 'em another chance! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!