Mosin Nagant 91/30 Question

PDA

dispatch55126
November 5, 2006, 07:39 PM
How do you remove the center bolt on the MN 91/30 first picture. I'm planning on refurbishing the stock due to the laquer coming off in several areas and dents/dings in the wood second picture.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant 91/30 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
B yond
November 5, 2006, 07:42 PM
That's a stock recoil bolt and nut assembly. Instructions for removing it are here: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinDisassembly.htm

Cosmoline
November 5, 2006, 07:49 PM
Keep in mind, most Soviet 91/30's have notoriously tricky crossbolts. They are sometimes all but impossible to remove without scratching them. If it's stubborn apply some break free to the threaded end. Use brass punches to knock out the main piece.

dispatch55126
November 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
If I do scratch, damage or otherwise due something stupid, how hard is it to find a cross bolt or (hope not) lower stock?

Cosmoline
November 5, 2006, 08:01 PM
It's an easy part to replace, but you may have a hard time fitting it. Also, keep in mind that if your refinishing involves building layers of tru oil or similar polymer finish on the wood, you will end up with a hole too small for the piece! That's one reason I prefer BLO.

Zeke Menuar
November 6, 2006, 12:47 AM
I've refinished four of my Mosins. Tape off the crossbolt and leave it in. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

ZM

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant 91/30 Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!