My Surefire dilemma

PDA

Cromlech
November 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
I am not sure what Surefire torch I should get, I have narrowed it down to a few choices, but I'm still undecided.

The primary use will, of course, be for general illumination purposes. This may be in the form of a handy torch for going on walks and bike rides, for scouting about with for fun, and in case of power cuts.

Also, I would like something that can be used like a Kubotan, just in case, and not break. I want it to be compact, and comfortable to wear on a belt.

The ones that have interested me so far are as follows:

E2D Defender: http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/570/Surefire_E2D_Executive_Defender_Torch_Flashlight

L4 Lumamax: http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/616/Surefire_L4_LumaMax_Flashlight_Torch

L5 Lumamax: http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/617/Surefire_L5_LumaMax_Flashlight_Torch

A2 Aviator: http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/451/SureFire_A2_Aviator_Flashlight_Torch

I have noticed that the Surefires cost a fair bit more here in the U.K than they do in the U.S.A, but I am willing to pay the price for a quality product. Indeed, the price difference between the models I have listed is not my primary concern, anything that doesn't go to the evil 200 mark is cool with me. What I want to know, is what is a good choice, considering my requirements.

I am not a LEO, or in the military, or the emergency services, nor any other professional job that requires a high quality light. :o This is purely something that I want, rather than need, but I want one, nonetheless. :D

Thanks in advance. :neener:

P.S I am open to suggestions that are not Surefire lights, so long as they have the THR stamp of approval. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "My Surefire dilemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VWTim
November 5, 2006, 09:13 PM
Honestly any of those lights should suit your needs just fine. For me I find the E2D just a little "too much" It also tends to be hand and snag and tear your clothes if you don't pouch carry it. The L4 is a great flood light and will be my next surefire purchase. The A2's are great with dual LED/incan, and I don't have much experience with the L5.
One nice thing about the L4's is they can be ran on a single Li Ion 17670 rechargable cell at full brightness for almost an hour.

Cromlech
November 5, 2006, 09:23 PM
Cheers mate, nice to know that about the Defender, not much use if I can't get it off the belt! :what:

The A2 has the added benefit of LED's for map reading and the like, which is also a plus, and I would probably get one with red LED's.

Ahhh, decisions, decisions! :cool:

walw
November 5, 2006, 09:51 PM
If your just going to use it for walks not sure I would go with a lithium battery light. The batteries don't last very long when compared to say a mag light taking standard D or C Cells. I have an issued Z2 Combatlight, I'm lucky if I get 2 hours of use before the batteries are gone. Hopefully the LED ones conserve batteries better. Hope this helps. Walt

Abby
November 5, 2006, 10:02 PM
I have a white/white A2 I bought by mistake when I was overseas (please don't ask how it's possible to spend $150 on a flashlight by mistake). It's a GREAT piece of gear.

I love the two different settings - I almost never need the really really bright beam anymore (although it IS fun for identifying critters in the dark after you've picked up the eyeshine with the lesser beam).

The LED lasts...a really long time. Even after your batteries are run way down and the xenon bulb won't fire, the LEDs work. I've never run it down to the point where they're out - I change batteries a LOT.

Anyway, love my A2. I don't carry it everywhere, but I carry it around a lot. The only drawback is that it IS expensive. I'm not nuts about spending that much money on something as easy to lose and a pocket-size flashlight is.

Cromlech
November 5, 2006, 10:12 PM
If your just going to use it for walks not sure I would go with a lithium battery light. It will be for anything and everything that I happen to be doing, at any given time.

I don't see how lithium batteries last less than D cell ones, seeing as lithium ones are more efficient and powerful.

Or am I mistaken? :confused:

I already have a 2 D cell maglite, in black, but it's a little bit too bulky to carry around everywhere, and it certainly won't be something I'd want to put on my belt.

ZeSpectre
November 5, 2006, 10:15 PM
I'm fond of the surefire L2 myself. It's a little longer but having the low setting for long runtimes and the high setting for a "wall o' light" is nice.

Someplace else to find more information is the candlepower forums (http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?).

Cromlech
November 5, 2006, 10:27 PM
Cheers, ZeSpectre!

I found a post on there from someone that had an L2 with the E2D strike bezel put on it, which sounds like an interesting option. I don't know where to buy that bezel seperately, though.

Cromlech
November 6, 2006, 07:11 AM
On a related note, I have found a couple of cheaper retailers for Surefires than the one that I posted links to.

http://www.kmnw.co.uk/surefire_flashlights_and_torches.htm

http://www.red-onetactical.co.uk/products.aspx?cid=64

The torches, and batteries are significantly cheaper. For example, I can save almost 25 on the A2 at the Red1One website.

:D

Matt-man
November 8, 2006, 03:47 AM
For a general-purpose light, I highly recommend one with at least dual-level capability. You don't always need 60+ lumens; trying to read a map with an E2e is tough on the eyes. In addition the low-beam gives you long runtimes. I have an A2 and I love it - most of the time I just use it on low and a set of batteries seems to last forever. Also, the incandescent half is fully regulated so it runs at full brightness until the batteries can't provide enough juice anymore. It's the only regulated incandescent that Surefire makes. I think an L2 would be a great choice too. One drawback to these lights, however, is that they're longer than something like an E2 or L4 due to the extra electronics in the body and the longer tailswitch. On the other hand, an A2 is still shorter than a AA Mini-mag.

You might also consider an E1L or E2L - they give you moderate light levels and longer runtimes. Also, a 9P with a KL3 head should run for several hours, and the KL3 throws a good amount of light. That setup is a little on the large side though.

If your just going to use it for walks not sure I would go with a lithium battery light. The batteries don't last very long when compared to say a mag light taking standard D or C Cells.

Batteries don't last long in Surefires because those lights produce so much more light than a Mag. Short runtime can be a drawback though, which is why I think a general-purpose light should have dual levels so you don't have to drain the batteries when you don't need to.

Cromlech
November 8, 2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad to hear such praise for the A2, as that is what I ordered in the end! :D

Cheers guys.

Cromlech
November 11, 2006, 01:04 PM
I received the little beauty today, which was nice. :D

It is a solid little thing, and the illumination it puts out is very impressive for it's size (MUCH more so than my 2D maglite).

I am wearing it out tonight, to get used to it. It sits in my pocket quite nicely, with the clip holding it in place. Sweet. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "My Surefire dilemma" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!