SKS Quality

PDA

MarkDido
May 19, 2003, 01:56 PM
First, I would like to say that I appreciate everyone who posts on this board.

I'm new to long guns, and I read THR every day after work. I have yet to read post by anyone that even vaguely approaches a flame, or comes across as having an attitude. I appreciate all the time and information y'all take to help us newbies. Thanks!

My spousal unit (God love her) has accepted my new fascination with long guns, especially C & R stuff.

After reading probably a thousand posts on this board, I 've decided that my next 2 guns will be one of the SKS type, and one of the bolt-action Mauzer type.

I probably (notice I said probably) won't be collecting more than one of each type (Lack of space, funds and a high-maintenance 5 year old grand-daughter that we're raising)

So, in terms of quality and durability, which SKS and Mauzer would you recommend for someone who will only have one of each?

I'm leaning towards the Yugo because I have read so much about them here, but I'm still waffling about which type mauzer (MN, but made by whom)

Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Quality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dorrin79
May 19, 2003, 03:25 PM
Yugo guns, in my experience, are awesome.

I have a Yugo SKS with about 700 rounds through it. Never missed a beat, and pretty darn accurate out to 100 yds. (haven't shot it past that range yet) I paid $180 for it with cleaning kit, sling, etc. Condition was 100% on the metal, 95% or so on the wood (there are some stains, possibly from the cosmoline?, on the stock)

I also have a Yugo M48 in 8mm mauser, which is based on the 98K Mauser design. It's extremely accurate and well-made, although it has ferocious recoil. I paid $150 for mine in 95% or so condition (a few scratches on the finish, but a very nice stock)

In short, you can't go wrong with a Yugo milsurp.

Peter Gun
May 19, 2003, 07:02 PM
SKS's seem to vary quite a bit even within the co of origin. I was fortunate enough to find a shop that had seven of them all different types. I got to compare them all head to head. The only general conclusion I could draw is that russian guns are more expensive ($300 or more) and have better triggers and that the chinese ones generally look the roughest (machining marks, irregular stocks). Ironically, my friend offered me his for trade right after. So i ended up w/ a chinese sks w/ pseudo folding stock, 10 and 30 rnd mags, mint barrel, and a worse (creepy and rough) trigger than any I've ever pulled. :) Havent shot it yet, but in reality it only cost me @$70 in motorcycle parts. Maybe I''l get a new trigger group for it.

cool45auto
May 19, 2003, 08:42 PM
When I bought my Romanian SKS I didn't know a thing about any of them. I just liked the way the one I got looked. I hear a lot of good things about the Yugos and the Norincos, though.

standingbear
May 19, 2003, 09:08 PM
i believe there is a sale on genuine german 98ks right now(not 98s stamped with crest).last weekend i saw them going for round 300 and they looked very good cond.i would have bought one except that steel buttplate has to be painful in 8mm. i like the russian made sks.have had a chineese made one but thought the overall quality of steel,barrel chroming and machining better on the russian made guns.

DMK
May 19, 2003, 09:34 PM
I've got one or two of each available except for a Russian. The Yugo M59/66 is the best made as far as quality of work and machining. It's also the best value for the dollar. Chinese and Albanians are the worst quality. Romanians look like they used to be well made, but it's very hard to find one in nice condition anymore. Russians can be built well too, but priced high.

A lot of guys get hung up on the fact that the Yugos don't have chrome barrels, but neither do most guns out there. The only thing chrome does for you is make it easier to be lazy with cleaning it.

Get a Yugo best condition you can afford. Unissued condition shouldn't be too hard to find.

Feanaro
May 19, 2003, 09:50 PM
I can't say much about either gun but I thought you might be interested in this. If you can't find a Mauser near you, Impactguns has an M48A(MauSer type rifle though not made by Mauser) for $155. http://www.impactguns.com/store/mauser_yugo_m48A_exc.html

Fatelvis
May 19, 2003, 11:05 PM
Everyone gets down on the Chinese made SKSs, but I have one, and it shoots great! Accurate and reliable. If you see one in good shape, cheap, dont pass it up because it might have a few machining marks or something on it. It is a great rifle!

vmi93
May 20, 2003, 08:22 AM
Just about all of the as-issued military surplus rifles on the market now are extremely rugged and reliable. I own a Chinese SKS and a Yugo M59/66 (SKS) and both are very accurate and amazingly reliable.

Any of the surplus mausers would be a good bet. The M48's are accurate and cheap. Even the cheapo Turk Mausers are very accurate and reliable.

Your post also mentions MN, I assume that you mean Mosin-Nagant?

While not a Mauser (name refers to the specific type of bolt-action), these are also very nice rifles. THe Finnish rebuilt M39's are the most accurate of the breed, but yu can expect good "combat accuracy" out of any of the Mosin-Nagants.

firestar
May 21, 2003, 03:35 AM
I have to agree that Yugo guns seem to be great. Out of all my C&R guns, my two favorite ones are my Yugo SKS and my Yugo M48A. I paid $149 shipped for the new unissued SKS via Aim Surplus and $69 + Shipping for a nice M48A with non-matching bolt from CDNN.

benEzra
May 22, 2003, 11:50 AM
The fit and finish on my wife's Russian SKS is as good as that of my Ruger mini-14. However, Russian SKS's are now pricey since the supply dried up some time ago. (We got hers for $99--I wish I had bought two, I could trade one for an AK now.)

CWL
May 22, 2003, 02:48 PM
All SKS' are reliable since they are meant to be a battle weapon rather than a collector's firearm. Price doesn't mean anything since an SKS probably cost about $10 to produce.

Chinese SKS's tend to rust on the outside for some reason. Probably quality of metal and stamping methods.

Eastern Euro SKS' seem to have better finish & wood.

They all shoot about the same though.

Captain Scarlet
May 22, 2003, 09:50 PM
Chinese made SKS, arsenal 26 has the best machining and
fitting.

Russia makes the best european mfg. SKS

:cool:

itgoesboom
May 23, 2003, 09:26 PM
I purchased my Chinese back around Christmas, and i have been very pleased with it so far.

I had been looking at different SKSs for about a year or so, since i couldn't afford an AR or FAL, and most of them seemed to be very "loose". They would rattle, the gase tube cover would wiggle and often the bolts felt sloppy. I found this on many different types of SKSs, russian, romanian, yugo and chinese.

There were ofcourse good samples that i found, but more often then not, i would find the abused rifles.

I finally found one that seemed to be put together right, had a good bore, didn't shake rattle and roll, and i bought it.

So i wouldn't really worry much about the version you get, just make sure you get one that hasn't been abused too much.

I.G.B.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS Quality" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!