anyone else think that...

PDA

MJRW
May 19, 2003, 01:51 PM
Some people often mistake feet for yards? I've shot with a couple of people who thought they were shooting at 30 yards when in fact they were shooting at 30 feet. Anyone else think this is pretty common?

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone else think that..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coronach
May 19, 2003, 02:38 PM
yup

Archie
May 19, 2003, 03:21 PM
Guns and Ammo had an article about "When Is a Yard a Yard?" or some such title, written by Jeff Cooper, as I recall.

The premise and discussion of the article was much as MJRW observes.... it varies.

I cannot remember the whole article, but it was written with tongue in cheek and rather amusing. Nothwithstanding the fact that there are folks who are "measurement impaired".

I suppose the same thing can apply to fishermen in terms of inches and pounds... or would be opera singers and high "C".

Baba Louie
May 19, 2003, 03:29 PM
I always think back to the old high school football days. I know what 5 yards, 10 yards, 50 or a 100 yds etc. looks like and presume that all gun and football loving Americans do too. Guess I'd be wrong eh?

I design houses and other buildings as a living and know that only those in the construction fields have a good grasp on how large a room or space is by describing it in feet/inches. Very rarely do clients understand just how big something is in real life when using terms (language) only. Once you "walk off" a space, they begin to get the picture.

The ones that get me are the hunters who can't relate just how far an animal (deer or duck usually) is based on its size, height...

Weird I tell ya.

Adios

B27
May 19, 2003, 03:34 PM
I carry one of those 50 yard contractors tape measures on a reel with me to the pistol pits so when I am zeroing a pistol or shooting groups off the bench at 25 yards I know it is in fact 25 yards.
But I've gotten pretty good at pacing it off too, and usually come within just a couple feet of right on.
Our rifle range is marked.
You can lie to yourself, but everybody else knows the truth.:D

10-Ring
May 19, 2003, 04:03 PM
Oh YEAH! :scrutiny: Went shooting w/ a guy from work & one of his neighbors. The neighbor was surprised I was shooting 75 yards. hmmm??? It's only a 25 yrd range??? Straightened out his 25' vs. 25 yard issues soon after :rolleyes:

T.Stahl
May 19, 2003, 04:49 PM
Ah, just another reason to "go metric"! :D

J Miller
May 19, 2003, 04:56 PM
Ah, just another reason to "go metric"! NOT!

People who can't tell the difference between a foot and a yard, won't be any better off trying to tell the difference between 100 centimeters and a meter.

I have a fair ability to determine distances, at least out to 100 yards. After that, forget it.
And actually at 100 yards, I'd rather measure it to be sure.

Just being picky I guess. :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
May 19, 2003, 04:59 PM
People who can't fell feet from yards shouldn't brag and boast about distances.

I found as a Boy Scout that if I lengthened my pace slightly, each step was a yard on level ground. The skill has come in handy at odd moments all these years.

StLGlocker
May 19, 2003, 05:23 PM
I do notice that a lot of people overestimate distance. A guy at my local indoor range last week spent quite a bit of time firing his handgun at a target run all the way to the end of the lane. One of the range employees walked by and he asked "What's the distance on this, 75 yards?"

He had a very small " oh " in his voice when the guy replied "25". Burst his bubble I guess. :evil:

Art Eatman
May 19, 2003, 05:24 PM
A guy showed up at my uncle's, claiming to have missed a deer at 300 yards and wanting my uncle to re-sight the rifle. He got truly huffy in disbelieving the 100-yard range was only 100 yards. That's how far off the deer was! The rifle turned out to be the desired 2" high at 100...

I've found it not too difficult to guesstimate two or three football fields. After that, it's a bit of a problem, and I start going by apparent size. I'm really glad the Lord invented laser range-finders! :)

Art

JohnK
May 19, 2003, 05:39 PM
You mean all those people (who aren't Bob Munden) claiming to shoot 3" 100 yard groups, standing, unsupported, using an iron sight revolver are only shooting at 100 feet? :D

My illusions are shattered. :evil:

Yes, I know there are people who can shoot like that, but not as many can as there are who think they can.

blades67
May 19, 2003, 07:23 PM
I see that every time I go to the range.:rolleyes:

TechBrute
May 19, 2003, 08:40 PM
Two words: Laser Rangefinder.:D

JohnKSa
May 19, 2003, 08:54 PM
People who can't tell the difference between a foot and a yard, won't be any better off trying to tell the difference between 100 centimeters and a meter.
Ok, I admit it! I can't tell the difference between 100 cm and a meter. Now my secret's out... :(

4v50 Gary
May 19, 2003, 11:58 PM
You mean there's a difference? ;)

T.Stahl
May 20, 2003, 04:55 PM

But why are so many of them employed by the NASA? :what:

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone else think that..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!