General Patton's TWO Letters/M1 Garand

PDA

eclancy
November 6, 2006, 11:34 AM
Gentlemen,
General Patton wrote TWO (2) Statements about the M1 Garand Rifle. The standard one was from Third Army Hq. This second one for Springfield Armory when he was there at the close of WW2. I just thought that you might fine them of Interest. Some of my files have been post before and some have not been posted.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/eclancy/12645a.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/eclancy/secpat.jpg

Warning, before you go to my sites lower your volume as the opening page contains a sound file which has a loading and firing of the M1 Garand. So if you're at work or home it may be wise to check your volume control.

If you need a better copy just email me.
garandm1rifle@rcn.com

Gentlemen you know what to do. Push just a little more TIA. Gentlemen your doing for me a GREAT JOB.

Thanks again
Clancy

Looking for Sponsors
NRA Life Endowment
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Instructor
FSS 90% / BW X Speed Div by 1000 = PF
THA 63

If you enjoyed reading about "General Patton's TWO Letters/M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
lionking
November 6, 2006, 03:01 PM
interesting to read,thanks for all the Garand info you send.

He really seemed confident as he should have.Im not sure I would agree with him about the tanks being superior over others though.

High Planes Drifter
November 6, 2006, 08:25 PM
Gotta agree with lionking on the tank thing. On the History Channel, it was said by WWII vets that they used to call Shermans "Steel Coffins" because of thier likeliness to get whacked by a Panzer. Tough time to be a tanker,not like today with the Abrams. Anyway, this is a Garand topic, and Patton was right on back in his day about that one!

SSN Vet
November 6, 2006, 10:33 PM
was hands down the most advanced tank in WWII.

but the krouts couldn't make enough of them to do much good.

The German 88 mm was to the American 75 mm as what....
30-06 is to 30-30 :rolleyes:

Wes Janson
November 6, 2006, 11:45 PM
What exactly does that second one say?

CypherNinja
November 7, 2006, 12:07 AM
"I consider the M-1 the greatest weapon ever made."

Spiggy
November 7, 2006, 12:08 AM
"I consider the M-1 the greatest weapon ever made" -GS Patton

Darn, beat me to it!

Roadwild17
November 7, 2006, 12:11 AM
Vet, the panther were way to heavy, but the T-34 is the best tank of all time, surrly you are confused :neener: Anyway you look at it, American tankers were a little short changed at that time.

kungfuhippie
November 7, 2006, 12:20 AM
What exactly does that second one say?

"I consider the M-1 the greatest weapon ever made

-G.S. Patton"

Want to go to the Patton Museum here in So-cal. My best friend says it's awesome, haven't been out that way lately.

Wish I had the greatest weapon ever made (at least in january of 1945) For a personal weapon I think the M-1 only loses to the modern stuff for being abit outdated. Woops! Well, flame away.

Just remember the M-1 Garand is about 10 rifles above the AR-15 on my list of guns I want. In fact it's #1 on the list, just don't have the money for one yet.

I think our troops would be using the M-1 still if it was still the best.

Eightball
November 7, 2006, 02:41 AM
I think our troops would be using the M-1 still if it was still the best.An updated m14 would be just that, and indeed they are using them in some quantity.

the T-34 is the best tank of all timeI dunno man, the Tigre was pretty nuts. Or the Kingtigre. Panther's pretty far up there too, since they could maul T34s pretty bad; too bad there were an unholy amount of T34s against shrinking numbers of German stuff. But I think the Panzer III was a classic design anyway, so I'm just kinda weird like that :p

LAK
November 7, 2006, 05:06 AM
General Von Senger noted that the german Tiger's were somewhat of a problem; it required two Tigers to recover a disabled Tiger (Hitler demanded that none be abandoned), they were slow and had a tendency to slide on icey slopes etc.

------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

TexasRifleman
November 7, 2006, 08:58 AM
He really seemed confident as he should have.Im not sure I would agree with him about the tanks being superior over others though.

Patton was nothing if not a motivator.

You tell the troops regularly enough that they are invincible they will fight like they are.

In that, he was correct about our tanks and our men.

MechAg94
November 7, 2006, 09:25 AM
Also, I don't think Patton ever intended for his Shermans to go head to head against German tanks. I think he would have considered that bad tactics though I am sure that wasn't always possible. I know he mentioned one of his Shermans that took out 4 German tanks before getting knocked out itself. Just outmaneuvered them.

I agree that Patton was a great motivator and he would never say anything that might damage the morale of his troops. This is a guy who had a policy to drive only to the front but always fly back to his headquarters. He didn't want his troops to see him moving away from the front.

I realize the German tanks had better armor and a better gun, but I always hate watching those stupid shows on the Military Channel. They always show the Shermans getting ambushed. Well, you don't need tanks to do that.

BigG
November 7, 2006, 10:25 AM
If you think Patton was a great motivator, reading his war memoirs WAR AS I KNEW IT (http://www.epinions.com/content_196368436868) will make you certain. :)

eclancy
November 8, 2006, 11:38 AM
Gentlemen,
Gen. Patton had to cover all bases with the letter. However, he started off with the M1 Garand Rifle. He couldn't leave out other military equipment. There were TWO types of German Tigers. One was the Tiger and then they built the King Tiger. Only got a little over 1200 built. There was a story that 1 King Tiger took out 20 British Sherman's in 30 min.'s It took 200 hits as it moved along and finally we got it.
Thanks again
Clancy

If you enjoyed reading about "General Patton's TWO Letters/M1 Garand" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!