7.62x54r

PDA

belton-deer-hunter
November 6, 2006, 02:20 PM
well i took my polish nagant out this week end and was very shocked. i was hiting a steel target at 100 yards, and i even had a friend nail a soda can and the same distance. even his rem. 700 took a couple shots to do the same thing i was using 203 grain brown bear soft point ammo i was told that it was a little heavy? any thoughts on better size i am trying to keep out of corrosive ammo so millsurp is out. and while we are on the subject i used my cheap little to remington 597 to hold a cz at 100 yards out past that they kicked my butt. but it was fun.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54r" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
November 6, 2006, 02:22 PM
Too heavy for what?

kfranz
November 6, 2006, 02:26 PM
any thoughts on better size i am trying to keep out of corrosive ammo so millsurp is out.

To each his own, but it seems that you are actively attempting to stay away from the very ammo that this rifle was designed for, while asking for "better" ammo for it.

grimjaw
November 6, 2006, 03:22 PM
i was using 203 grain brown bear soft point ammo i was told that it was a little heavy?

Maybe they meant that the recoil would be greater using something other than light ball in one of the carbines. I think the M44s with bayonet attached are heavy enough to absorb any negligible amount of increase. You should be fine using that ammo.

You can find bulk "deals" on Brown Bear 185gr FMJ for less than what you paid for the 203gr JSP. It's lead core, although the jacket material is magnetic and somee ranges may refuse to allow you to use it. Brown Bear shoots very well out of most of my Mosins.

I'm not surprised that you were easily hitting the gong. The Polish M44s were the finest of the type, and many were put together and then immediately put in storage or hardly used.

jm

George S.
November 6, 2006, 11:15 PM
I would not worry about using milsurp ammo for shooting in any Mosin. The corrosive salts in the primer is the issue and you can easily wash that away with water or something like Windex with Ammonia immediately after shooting.

Simply spray the chamber and bore and wipe with a couple of dry patches. Remove the bolt and spray the bolt face and wipe it down.

Once you get home, clean the rifle as usual.

Millions of Russian peasant soldiers did the same thing to clean their rifles as their lives depended on them. We probably are still shooting some of those same rifles they took into combat.

Most of the milsurp ammo is 147 grain and is accurate enough for steel plates, gongs or targets. Polish and Czech ammo is plentiful and cheap.

Hoppy590
November 6, 2006, 11:33 PM
the privi partisan ammo. commie price, non corrosive

rangerruck
November 7, 2006, 12:05 AM
wolf makes a 147 or 150, a 185, and a 205 bimetal. they all work pretty good, and out to 100 yds, you wont have a huge dif of point of impact from the 150 to the 185.

If you enjoyed reading about "7.62x54r" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!