Universal Ferret (m-1).256 win mag

PDA

baranjhn
November 6, 2006, 02:46 PM
I just picked up a Universal Ferret at a local gun show. It is in very good shape with a unknown maker 1.5-4x32 scope on it. Anyone have any experience with one?

I got it in part of a pretty good trade, and haven't decided if I'll keep yet. I'll have to get some dies and brass and load some ammo before I decide though.

Thanks

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Universal Ferret (m-1).256 win mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arborman
November 6, 2006, 05:33 PM
I have no experience with the rifle but I know aaaallll about that 256 win mag! I bought a Marlin model 62 chamber for 256 WM about a year or so ago. No big outfits make ammo for it. A few small handloading companies do. It runs about $40-$60 a box depending on who's selling. I lucked out and found some online from a guy who knew a guy who met a guy who once owned one and had a few boxes. I still paid $25 a box for 4 boxes. That was enough of that. Fortunately it is very easy to make from 357 magnum brass. You'll hear from some how it's a 4 step process to make it into 256 brass and I found that to be true when using winchester brass. However if you have some once fired remington brass...just lube it up really well and slowly run it up into and out of the 256 sizer die till it magically transforms into 256 WM brass. Takes me about 5 short strokings to get it right. Lotsa lube though. The win brass cracked and/or crushed/split but the remington stuff conformed just fine. I tried heating some up too but the winnie brass would only be formed if first ran through a 30 mauser die I stumbled onto a magic load in my rifle using an 85gr Speer hotcore bullet and Lil' Gun powder. My rifle shoots honest 1/2" groups @ 100 with thast setup. Amazing.
As far as what it's good for? Well, it would really be a primo varmint/predator cartridge at under 200yds. Great for coyote control with minimal pelt damage. Target shooting of course. Kind of a pain to make to shoot as "plinking" ammo though. I would shoot a deer/hog with it inside 100yds. I've shot more that my share of game with the 22mag inside 100 and the 256 is much more potent than that cartrg.
If you need any help in reloading, gimme a shout,
arborman123@tampabay.rr.com don't know when I'll check this thread again,
Lee

TonyRumore
November 6, 2006, 06:28 PM
I had one for several years. The thing functioned fine. However the magazine is pretty short so if you reload, you can only use the 60gr Hornady flat point. Everything else I tried was too long to fit in the magazine. At the time I had a Ruger Hawkeye and a Contender to go with it.

Tony

baranjhn
November 6, 2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the info. If I decide to keep it, I'll try those 60gr flat-points.

Here's a pic for anyone who has never seen one.

If you enjoyed reading about "Universal Ferret (m-1).256 win mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!