m1 carbine trouble shooting

PDA

kir_kenix
November 6, 2006, 07:19 PM
first off, its nice too be back, as i havnt been able to get on for quite a while. i missed all the caliber "discussions" *caugh*arguments*caugh* lol. anyway, today i went out and bought a really pretty m1 carbine and i am having all kinds of trouble with it. i took it home, broke her down and cleaned and oiled her up. then i went and tried (keyword TRIED) to get some shooting in before dark. first problem: magazine (both of them) fit poorly into the mag well. i have a 15 and 30 shot that look fine and lock into place, but they seem really loose. i didnt think this would be a problem as ive fired different m1 carbines that worked just fine that had similar magazine fittings. It will just not feed more then one or two rounds before it will either jam (first problem) or fail to fire (second problem) or both. i want to buy a few more magazines off the net to see if that will solve problem #1, but i am more concerned w/ problem #2. all i can get is a weak sounding "click" when i pull the trigger once every 5 to 6 shots. i cant seem to figure that out either. its like the bolt isnt slammed to the rear hard enough to cock it, but the hammer does click when i pull the trigger. well any help would be greatly appreciated. i dont want this to end up being a wall hanger, i just love shooting these little carbines too much for that.

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 carbine trouble shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lone_Gunman
November 6, 2006, 07:45 PM
Have you disassembled the bolt and cleaned all the small parts and firing pin channel?

I bet its gunked up.

Be aware, the M1 Carbine bolt is a bitch to put back together without the bolt tool.

dfariswheel
November 6, 2006, 08:04 PM
With rifles like the M1 Carbine, either it cocks or it doesn't.
There's no "in between", so if you pull the trigger and hear a "click" that's the hammer dropping.

As above, check the bolt.
Either it's fouled and the firing pin is sticking, or the pin is actually broken.
Buy a bolt tool to disassemble it. While it can be done without the tool, you'll be REAL sorry you did.

Another check it to fire the Carbine and between each shot, take a look at the bolt to be sure it's fully closed and locked.
If it isn't, the firing pin safety interlock will prevent the hammer from driving the firing pin forward with full force.

As for the failures to feed, this is usually either an ammo, magazine, or magazine catch problem.

Firehand
November 6, 2006, 08:39 PM
Weak sounding 'click' may indicate a bad hammer spring, something to check

USSR
November 6, 2006, 10:07 PM
kir_kenix,

Before disassembling your bolt, try spraying it liberally with brake cleaner. My carbine was acting like yours, and after I sprayed the bolt, it works fine.

Don

Ian Sean
November 6, 2006, 10:24 PM
Worst case you need new springs...Wolf Gunsprings sells an entire kit wit ha ll springs. Got my Carbine running smooth.

http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html

They even sell magazine springs, got a fussy 30 rounder to work good with a new spring.

kir_kenix
November 6, 2006, 10:52 PM
ive broken her down and sprayed the hell out of the bolt w/ break free. i cant get it to have the "weak" click on trigger pull anymore, so maybe that is it. i ordered some new magazines and ill try those out before i buy the spring kit, but that might not be a bad investment anyways as this is a 50 year old rifle. i hope to have this all cleared up in a few days so i can get to shooting off some of the 12000+ rounds my old man has sitting around:evil: ...lol. anyway, thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Eightball
November 6, 2006, 11:03 PM
i can get to shooting off some of the 12000+ rounds my old man has sitting aroundYour dad looking to adopt, by chance? I'm housetrained :neener:

Good luck with all that. See how many of the 12K you can get through the same hole :D

Abby
November 6, 2006, 11:54 PM
No no no!

I think kir_kenix NEEDS to disassemble the bolt without the tool! And then put it back together! If he was a REAL carbine lover, he'd do it without a vice!

As for USEFUL input...Numrich sells all the little bits individually. This is useful, especially for ordering extra little tiny springs and an extra ejector when you take the bolt apart without the tool and it ends up...somewhere.

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "m1 carbine trouble shooting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!