.308 155gr. SMK's??

PDA

cheaptrick
November 6, 2006, 08:02 PM
Anybody shooting these??

Looking for load data, please.

Thank you...

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 155gr. SMK's??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P0832177
November 6, 2006, 10:54 PM
Do what most of us do, consult the Sierra Manual! :banghead:

30Cal
November 6, 2006, 11:33 PM
They work well with Varget. I get good results with 4895 as well.

Ty

Deanimator
November 7, 2006, 11:01 AM
See below. If the your highpower question can't be answered there, it wasnt' worth asking in the first place. Best shooters not just in the US, but in the world. A friend of mine posts there. A few years ago, he was 12th F-Class shooter in the world.

Fullbore-L - Hipower Rifle Competition
To subscribe address a letter to: listman@winshop.com.au
Leave the subject blank, include only the following message:
Subscribe Fullbore

cheaptrick
November 7, 2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Agreed, VARGET seems to be a good powder to start with.

The Sierra manual suggestion is a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned.
I have always received better data online than I did with the manuals. Glad it works for you though.
Sorry to upset you so much.....

Got what I needed.

P0832177
November 7, 2006, 02:12 PM
Hey CT,

You have to have manuals to consult to realize that in the 308 data is dependent on case you are using? And, other things! Being to cheap to have the manuals reflects upon your ability as a reloader. Then again learning to use the search function, which is great advice for you! But, more importantly what is safe in someone else's gun may not be in yours. Practice safe reloading practices! Learn to work up the load using your components, and do not be a snide and about getting solid advice.

cheaptrick
November 7, 2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the solid advise.
Hope I didn't disrupt the flow.

The Manuals have never given me a good load yet.

Not my first rodeo here either, friend.

Basically was kicking around the idea to load some 155gr. rounds after having great success with the 168gr. SMK's and wanted some imput.

Good shooting!
PS:
Will use the search function in the future. (wink)

cheaptrick
November 14, 2006, 07:09 PM
Guys, I appreciate everyones replies and I did in fact have a great time at the range with the 155's.
Looks like it's going to be a winner with my 12 twist barrel.

However, Mr. P0832177 brought up the fact that I really should consult the Manual during load development.

My response of "it's a waste of time" was a very poor choice of words for me to use.
MANY folks look at what's posted here.
Some with more reloading experience than me, and some with less.
I never want to give a new reloader the idea that's it's OK to disregard proper procedure.

SOP should ALWAYS be to consult the manual first.
It's never "a waste of time".

Just because Reloader Ricky uses some whiz bang new load, it should always be bounced off of sound reloading data, like the manual(s).

I stand corrected....Thanks Mr. P for calling me out.
Your 110% correct, Sir.

Good shooting to you all!!

Zak Smith
November 15, 2006, 03:47 AM
If you like the 155's, but want to shoot long range, consider the 155 Lapua Scenar. It has a BC considerably higher than the 155 SMK Palma. I have shot 4k+ of these, many of those to 1000 yards.

cheaptrick
November 15, 2006, 05:24 AM
Roger that, Zak.

USSR
November 15, 2006, 08:25 AM
Like Zak said, go with the 155gr Scenars. On Snipers Hide, several guys have done extensive load development with this bullet. IMR4895 seems to be THE powder.

Don

Zak Smith
November 15, 2006, 12:15 PM
IMR4895 works well, but a lot of guys around here (including myself) are using Varget.

When I switched from the 155 SMK to the 155 Lapua, I had to decrease my Varget charge 0.5 - 1.0gr because the Lapua is a much longer bullet (and maintain the same velocity). Just something to be aware of.

-z

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 155gr. SMK's??" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!