Are Yoke and Grip Numbers Related?

PDA

ZBill
November 6, 2006, 08:24 PM
I have a J-frame Model 37 that dates to 1981 thanks to a member of the forum. The 5-digit number stamped inside the yoke bears no resemblance to the stamped 6-digit serial number. My question is whether this is normal? Should they match, or at least be the last 5 of 6 digits?

Thank you, Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Yoke and Grip Numbers Related?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
November 6, 2006, 08:44 PM
No. The odd numbers are "fitting numbers" used to keep parts together before the gun is completed and serialized. No relation at all.

deadin
November 6, 2006, 08:47 PM
No relation. The serial on a 1981 Smith is on the butt. The number in the yoke is an assembly number that was used to keep the fitted parts together. (frame, yoke, sideplate). Starting around 1957 the model number was also stamped in the yoke cutout.

Dean

ZBill
November 6, 2006, 09:28 PM
I never can get enough info on my toys, Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "Are Yoke and Grip Numbers Related?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!