Locking/deletion of appropriate threads

PDA

MachIVshooter
November 6, 2006, 09:19 PM
The Strategies and Tactics forum is the place on THR where we discuss conflict, both armed and unarmed, training for conflict to include discussion of training techniques and methods and reviews of classes and instructors. It's also appropriate to discuss the legality of situations in which one might defend him or herself and others. Discussion on how to protect your property from unwanted intrusion are also on topic.

Often a member posts a scenario that he or she wishes to discuss. Scenarios are a good way to learn things. It's not part of the mission of the forum to discuss outlandish and totally unrealistic scenarios. Threads that are based on end of the world scenarios will be closed or deleted. There are plenty of forums that people interested in that sort of thing can go to.

In a recent thread, I addressed home invasion in what I had hoped to be an eye-opening manner. See here. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=232376)

Some memebers read carefully and interpreted correctly, some didn't. Fine. The point is that the thread was On-topic, appropriate and civil-right up until Jeff berated the content and made mocking comments bordering on:

Personal Attacks

Personal attacks on another member will not be tolerated.

See:
MachIVshooter,
You're a slacker if you think having a gun on you at all times means being prepared. You don't have a clue my friend. Wearing a gun or having it under your pillow or never out of arms reach won't save your life. Someone who knows what they are doing will sneak in and kill you in your sleep and then all your chest beating about being prepared because you have a gun will be for naught.

You aren't really prepared unless the entire family lives and breathes preparedness. Who stands watch through the night at your house? No one? Then how can you be prepared? Dogs you say? Dogs can be defeated. Alarms? Alarms are mechanical devices, they fail and can be defeated. No my friend, you aren't prepared unless you live like you're on the front lines. Who stands guard outside the bathroom when you're uh, indisposed? No one? Well then my friend, your probably a dead man. Should we put "No one covered him while he was sitting on the toilet." on your tombstone?

Do you come in at night and stack your magazines and straighten the pins on your grenades? Ever burn a light at night? Sleep in your body armor and K-pot or is that stuff just handy? What about the other people in your family? Can you really trust them. What if your little brother ogles a girl walking down the street while he's supposed to be covering you because you're sitting on the toilet? What if someone from outside your family tried to date your sister? Where would her loyalties lie. What if the suitor was just using her to get to you? When are they installing the x-ray machine at the end of your driveway so that you can make sure the delivery truck really isn't a car bomb?

The point of this little diatribe is that one has to adjust their security level to the threat. The way many of you post here, I think that you are either making fun of things or having some kind of macho contest to see who can be the most tactical.

It was then locked.

I have pretty thick skin and simply would have ignored this if it was just another member, but having a moderator post such mocking comments and then lock the thread so that they cannot be refuted is definitely not in line with what I have come to expect and love about The High Road.

If threads are going to be locked simply becasue a moderator doesn't agree with a members opinions, lifestyle or idea-even though the thread/post are on topic and not offensive-then please remove my membership here.

Nick

If you enjoyed reading about "Locking/deletion of appropriate threads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nitrogen
November 6, 2006, 09:42 PM
Stranely enough, most of the mods here seem to be the fairest of the posters here.

I tend to be a provocative poster, and I'm always pleasantly suprised that the mods tend to be some of the more reasonable ones.

I'd suggest that you take problems like this up privately with the moderators first before posting (Assuming you havnt' done so already)

I've found most of them to be quite reasonable.

MachIVshooter
November 6, 2006, 09:44 PM
I'd suggest that you take problems like this up privately with the moderators first before posting (Assuming you havnt' done so already)

I did. Haven't heard back yet.

real_name
November 6, 2006, 09:50 PM
FWIW when I read what Jeff had added to that thread I thought he was being humorous.
It was closed because it was closed, it happens.
Not the end of the world.
Chewing gum will help if you're tense.

dragongoddess
November 6, 2006, 10:04 PM
Funny if what is posted was the reason for deleting then someone made a mistake. All I see is an attack on a prevalent attitude that exists here.
People frankly don't want to be challenged and the reply apparently rubbed someone else the wrong way leading to it being locked.

Guess there is no place for those that disagree.

BullfrogKen
November 6, 2006, 10:54 PM
MachIVshooter said: Quote:
I did. Haven't heard back yet.

I'd have given it some time before you made it public. This just got locked a few hours ago.

Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't get locked down sooner. You know Jeff has made it clear that he won't tolerate chest-beating and fantasy threads in S & T.

Jeff White
November 6, 2006, 10:55 PM
As I stated in my PM to you, your thread was locked with those comments directed towards the general direction the Strategies and Tactics forum has been taken. There were three threads that were closed and I could have chosen any one of them. I took yours and used some sarcasm to make my point about the direction of the posts in Strategies and Tactics.

THR was founded with the idea that it was to be like no other firearms forum on the net. As the membership has grown the level of discourse has dropped off.

That will change. Strategies and Tactics will be the place where serious people discuss serious subjects civilly. If anyone isn't up to that, then they should find another online hangout.

My friend Erick who moderates over at TFL has a policy that a locked or deleted thread is a warning, the next time, the offender is banned. I'm not ready to go there yet, but it may come to that.

Self defense is an adult subject. It's not something that we should take lightly. We also should look at what we post there as a way to teach and mentor others who might surf in and lurk but never post. I don't think the argument that one can be in condition yellow or orange 100% of the time was very productive.

I also don't think the total reliance on a firearm and the insinuation that you were somehow less of a man if you didn't (which was the way many people read it) was a very efective way to make a point.

It would have been much more effective to say, These are the measures I take to make certain I can go from condition white (yes, everyone has to spend some time in condition white to survive) to whatever condition I need to in time to defend myself and my loved ones. Then to make your point the way you did with the use of the graphic. Think twice and post once. I almost closed the thread last night when I arrived back from Texas and thought the better of it. I was not in the right mood to post after a 15 hour drive.

The Strategies and Tactics forum will be what it once was. You can be part of the solution or you can find another place to spend your time. It's that simple.

Jeff

MachIVshooter
November 6, 2006, 11:26 PM
Often a member posts a scenario that he or she wishes to discuss. Scenarios are a good way to learn things

This was the purpose of the thread.

Strategies and Tactics will be the place where serious people discuss serious subjects civilly.

I'm a serious person and there aren't too many subjects that are more serious than surviving a violent attack.

Self defense is an adult subject. It's not something that we should take lightly.

This is the reason I emphasized with big red letters and a graphic; My objective was to jolt people. As can be interpreted in my second post in that thread, you take these matters very seriously when it hits so close to home.

I have always done my best to follow forum rules and, as far as I can tell, that thread violated none of them. Perhaps we should amend the S&T rules to include "No jolting other posters and net surfers from the sedate environment of cyberspace with provocative or alarming posts"

RealGun
November 7, 2006, 10:03 AM
Not sure about the context, but I thought Jeff's comments were a pretty good read. I take it that the keyboard ninja stuff bothers him greatly when having knowledge of real world self defense.

Correia
November 7, 2006, 12:40 PM
Well Mach, whether it was your thread or not, I wouldn't take it personal. Jeff is on a mission to make S&T all that it can be. He has a vision for it, just like Oleg does for THR in general.

So there are probably going to be some hurt feelings over the next few weeks. That's just how it has to be.

If you enjoyed reading about "Locking/deletion of appropriate threads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!