Ignorant gunshops

PDA

Kobun
May 19, 2003, 04:35 PM
I had guy call today.
A few months ago he bought a new rifle. So far he has spent close to $3750 in order to get it to work.
But he can't get a good group from it.

After talking to him, I found out that the other store AND the importer had recomended a certain rate of twist.
Obviously, that is what the importer had in stock... :banghead:

So, now, I will have to get this guy a new barrel, with a faster twist, that is more suited to the kind of shooting he does.

If he had been 3 months later with his purchase, I would have sold him the exact same rifle, but a model suited for his needs, for $2360

It is better to ask someone who actually knows what they are selling, even if it means paying a little more.
In this case, he would have payed a lot less...

If you enjoyed reading about "Ignorant gunshops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CZ-75
May 19, 2003, 04:54 PM
Sleazeball know-nothings infest gunshops even in Norway?

Who'd a thunk it? ;)

Guess this isn't a US phenomenon after all.

Kobun
May 19, 2003, 05:00 PM
Well, ours has a policy that we can get you most everything you want, but we do not know everything about everything.

If there is something I do not know, I tell the customer, and I then try to find out.

Everyone can't know everything.
If you meet someone that seems too sure of them selves, they usually don't know what they are talking about.

Standing Wolf
May 19, 2003, 05:01 PM
Why doesn't he load ammunition to work with the rate of twist he has?

Kobun
May 19, 2003, 05:13 PM
Why doesn't he load ammunition to work with the rate of twist he has?
Because with light bullets in .223, he probably won't reach the nessesary power factor (IPSC) with the 14.5" barrel.
And, having a barrel that works with 55 and heavier bullets is better for both shoting at longer ranges, aswell as it is easier to reach the PF with heavy bullets.

Croyance
May 19, 2003, 05:23 PM
If he did not have the necessary knowledge, he would have had difficulty knowing if the original gun shop knew what they were saying, or if they were conning him.

Art Eatman
May 19, 2003, 05:28 PM
I believe it was an old Will Rogers saying, it's not what folks don't know that is the problem. The problem is what they know that's not so. Most guys aren't conning anybody; they just don't know what they don't know.

But, it can indeed be costly...

Art

Steve Smith
May 19, 2003, 06:24 PM
I agree with Art. They are just ignorant and it costs the consumer. Thank God for the internet!

blades67
May 19, 2003, 06:36 PM
Is it a bolt-action or a self-loader?

Kharn
May 19, 2003, 06:59 PM
Blades67: Kobum mentioned a 14.5" barrel in .223 for IPSC, I'd assume its an AR15/M16-type rifle with a 1:12 instead of 1:7 or 1:9 barrel.

Kharn

blades67
May 19, 2003, 07:07 PM
I agree that may be the case, but when he's talking about $2360 for one I ask for more information. A semi-auto AR-15 goes for about $800 dollars around here, and a new upper would address the heavy bullet problem, even if it's a full-auto he's using, and it shouldn't run him $2K+ for a replacement upper.

Kharn
May 19, 2003, 07:14 PM
He's in Norway, and I bet a Knights or Les Baer-level rifle runs that much.

Kharn

Kobun
May 19, 2003, 08:54 PM
The rifle in question is a SG 551.
It has a 1:10 barrel.
It should be able to handle the 55gr bullets fine, but the guy says he has problems with all the different ammo he has tried.
Of course I won't know if it is the shooter, the barrel or the ammo before I get my hands on the gun and actually test it myself.

However.
For the shooting he will be doing, he should have been sold the flattop, picatinny rail model, not the diopter sighted model, and then a $500 scope mount...
The 1:7 barrel is also better suited for heavier bullets, that is better suited to reach a PF of 160.

As for a AR-15 costing $800... Forget it.
AR's are hard to come by (because the US doesn't export that many), and they are popular.
A used AR with match barrel, freefloated handguard etc. will usually sell for between $1750 to $2200.

Too bad the US Gov. is so restrictive on exports to allied countries.

blades67
May 19, 2003, 08:58 PM
Trade ya a flat-top AR-15 for that SG551!:D

To bad the atf would never allow it.:cuss: JBTs!:barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ignorant gunshops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!