Best .22 magnum ammo for plinking/hunting/general use?

PDA

epijunkie67
November 7, 2006, 01:27 AM
What's your opinion on the best all around ammo in .22 mag? I've got a Marlin lever action and a Heritage revolver, both in that caliber and they are a blast to shoot but lately I've been considering narrowing my ammo selection down a bit. As it is I tend to shoot a little of everything depending on what I've got on the shelf but I think I'll get better consistancy if I reduce it to a single selection of ammo.

So right now I've got FMJ, HP, and Ballistic tipped stuff on the shelf and I'm wondering what the best over all ammo to use would be. I mostly just range plink but what about light hunting? What's good to use on bigger critters that won't damage a smaller rabbit too much?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/epijunkie67/Guns/22magammo.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/epijunkie67/Guns/22magammotips.jpg

And beyond which kind of bullet is best I'm wondering about specific brands.

And finally, while looking through the sportsmans guide I see this;
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=302006
Armscor 22 mag ammo, 40 gr JHP, $118/1000 rounds. This stuff any good?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 magnum ammo for plinking/hunting/general use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jackal
November 7, 2006, 01:47 AM
Avoid the Armscor, it has very thin brass and is unreliable. My Marlin 25MN shoots best with standard Winchester SuperX gray box from Wal-Mart.

rangerruck
November 7, 2006, 03:36 AM
id find something in cci that you like, especially if you find the plus v's that are fmj's or covered hollowpoints. they are a 30 or 33 grn bullet really moving out. Also the winny black boxes and the remmy premiers are also of the 33 grn variety. now for the opposite end , I think that winny dynapoints and one other brand, maybe cci, makes a 50 or 55 grner. would carry a lot of smack to the target.

LAK
November 7, 2006, 06:14 AM
I would stick with FMJ. Hollowpoints will stomp some small game and vermin, and the larger of these with ideal side profiles perhaps, but in the circumstances you may want penetration hollowpoints are going to be a liability.

The bottom line is perhaps what load your gun shoots most accurately at practical ranges. But if a FMJ shoots only slightly less accurately than the best hollowpoint I would still stick with the FMJ.

---------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

db_tanker
November 7, 2006, 07:26 AM
The Winchester Dynapoint shoots pretty good out of my Marlin 925M, but the standard CCI stuff really seems to shine as far as plinking goes.

Haven't hunted with it yet so I can't say on that end.

D

bhk
November 7, 2006, 09:11 AM
I have narrowed my selection to two rounds. My standby has always been the WW Super-X 40 hollow points. These have true jacketed bullets and have always proved extremely accurate and quite deadly. My other round is not a magnum at all, but CCI WRF hollow point loads. These give me noise levels and killing power that is only slightly more that long rifle loads and are perfect for small, edible game.

Onmilo
November 7, 2006, 10:05 AM
Since the Winchester Plant isn't producing much of anything in .22 rimfire stuff right now and it is getting harder and harder to obtain from the distributers my recommendation would be the Federal or CCI hollowpoints.
CCI .22 Magnum will be the pricier of the two but it would be my choice and is only seconds to the Winchester .22 Magnum hollowpoint when Winchester is available.

AgentOrange
July 15, 2009, 05:04 PM
remington (ANY FLAVOR) is the WORST 22 WRM ammo you can get, period.

winchester supreme ( black box) and CCI TNT and gamepoints are the best, in that order

salvo
July 15, 2009, 07:32 PM
I have three .22 Mags and they all shoot the Winchester Super-X 40 gr. the best, it can be found in hollow point and solid. The Dynapoint is pretty good also, I have tried quite a few brands but Winchester is all I buy any more.

Every gun will be different. Try as many brands as you can, it will be time well spent.

jimmyraythomason
July 15, 2009, 08:13 PM
CCI Maxi Mags are all I use anymore..

Uncle Mike
July 15, 2009, 09:11 PM
Federal 40gr solid FMJ, does OK in the Volquartsen carbon fiber tensioned barrel Ruger 77/22, you can cover the groups at 50y with a nickle.

This is the squirrel getter, the solids give you the range, or the ability to pop a whistle pig while squirrelin' and they do not blow your tree rat apart.

mgkdrgn
July 15, 2009, 10:38 PM
Avoid the Armscor, it has very thin brass and is unreliable. My Marlin 25MN shoots best with standard Winchester SuperX gray box from Wal-Mart.

If push came to shove, that would be my choice. I have SuperX solid points in my BlackWidow that is my daily carry. They also performed the best in my Mossberg 640KB "Chuckster".

CCI is starting to do some interesting things with 22Mag, but I haven't had a chance to shoot any of them yet.

Heck
July 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
anyone use those flex tipped hornadys?

SGW42
July 15, 2009, 10:54 PM
Winchester Supreme (black box) hollow points have been the most accurate for me. Tried them on a whim and was really surprised.

Winchester Super X FMJ shoot pretty good as well.

CCI Maxi-Mag FMJ has been a dissapointent in my guns, honestly.

Tried some Remington rubber ballistic-tipped super duper doo-hicky type .22 Mag and I remember it was accurate enough but I only put about 20 rnds down range so I don't have a sure opinion on them. Expensive though.

351 WINCHESTER
July 15, 2009, 10:58 PM
I've tried them all. I keep comming back to the original w/w 40gr. jhp. We tested a bunch in ballistic gel. and the w/w did the best. I've tried the dynapoints, but they just lack the velocity and are not jacketed. All .22 mag. is downloaded since it's introduction, but remains a powerful round in many loadings. Check out our results in gel. www.brassfetcher.com and take your pick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 magnum ammo for plinking/hunting/general use?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!