Practicing With My 649

PDA

ACP230
November 7, 2006, 12:42 AM
I got to the range for an hour, or so, today.

My son was sighting-in his Remington .308 and I shot a Walther (Manurhin) PP for a while, then practiced with my 649.

I had a silhouette target up at 50 feet and worked on shooting the gun dry and then reloading using Bianchi Speed Strips. They were still "Slow Strips" when I used them, but the practice was worth it.

I hadn't shot the 649 for a while due to having to shoot other guns for articles and sighting-in deer rifles. I shot better than I expected. Some groups were around five or six inches fired standing, two-handed, double action. I also did OK on headshots shooting single-action. I sometimes shoot the PP better than the Smith, but today they were about the same.

I used my reloads with 158 grain LSWC and Unique powder and Winchester primers for practice ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Practicing With My 649" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kurt
November 7, 2006, 12:50 AM
Yes indeed, it's nice to "re-discover" shooting the J frames.

I carry them and keep a few around, but sadly don't practice as much as I should with them.

Maybe the cost of Buffalo Bore loads has something to do with that. ;)

MatthewVanitas
November 7, 2006, 12:56 AM
What a coincidence; I just picked up my 649 today.

Haven't gotten it to the range yet, but my first act was to toss a Tyler T-grip onto it. Been playing with it a bit tonight, and pretty pleased.

I have Crimson Trace grips coming in for it (bought on impulse for $120). Not so much interested in them for carry, as for use in dry-fire exercises. Curious to see if I can learn to keep the dot on the target all the way through the trigger pull.

I'll have to do some reading up on fine-tuning mine. The SA is good, but the DA is a little heavy. Then again, maybe that's best for a CCW gun with no manual safety.

-MV

ACP230
November 7, 2006, 11:33 AM
I put a Tyler T-Grip on an M49 soon after I bought it. (My older son has it now).
Later, I added the Uncle Mike's (Butler Creek) rubber boot grips. They came already installed on the 649.

The T-Grip made it easier to shoot the M49, but boot grips are much better for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Practicing With My 649" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!