Proper way to chamber 1st round in a 1911

PDA

mwpslp
November 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
I have seen some posts recently that lead me to believe that I may be doing something wrong. In a 1911 pattern .45 I have always inserted the mag and hit the slide release. I understand this may over time cause a problem with the extractor. Can anyone elaborate for me please?

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper way to chamber 1st round in a 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
November 7, 2006, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you're doin' it correctly. Lotsa myths abound, and no way to know who started'em. Mostly Armchair Commandos, Chairborne Rangers, and the omnipresent gun shop expert, I suspect.

Releasing the slide on an empty gun is generally accepted to be a no-no...but the only way it'll bother the extractor is if the extractor is hitting the rear of the barrel...which ain't good, no matter how you handle the gun.

Jac
November 7, 2006, 11:15 AM
The only way I've heard of hurting the extractor is if you drop a round into the chamber and then drop the slide... but not if it's picking one up from the mag.

mwpslp
November 7, 2006, 11:17 AM
I thougt it said something about it pushing the extractor over the lip of the case with too much force or something to that effect. I figured the only other way to do it would be to ride the slide forward but I was not sure if that was correct. Just tryin to do the right thing. Thanks Tuner.

1911Tuner
November 7, 2006, 11:39 AM
Quote:

>I thougt it said something about it pushing the extractor over the lip of the case with too much force or something to that effect.<

That applies when a round is dropped into the chamber and the slide released on it. When it feeds from the magazine, the rim slides under the extractor from below and behind the claw...as per design.

Black Majik
November 7, 2006, 11:49 AM
Pretty much well covered by Tuner, as usual.

Chambering from magazine, whether using slide stop (which is what you are doing) or slingshotting the slide is ok.

Dropping a round into the chamber and dropping the slide is a no-no, and will eventually chip the extractor claw.

TX1911fan
November 7, 2006, 11:58 AM
Don't ride the slide either. In teaching new shooters on my 1911, almost every time they ride the slide it fails to go into battery. Either use the slide release, or slingshot the slide and just let it go.

Clipper
November 7, 2006, 12:08 PM
Riding the slide is also a prime way to create a habbit that can result in getting a hand shot. I have a shooting (or should I say shot) buddy with the scar to prove it...Trouble was, since his was malfunctioning, he did it with my (same as his, KT .380) pistol. :banghead: Just lucky I was using the opportunity to blow up the last of my WWB hardball, since the next box of ammo in the rotation was silvertip HPs...

mwpslp
November 7, 2006, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info. That clears it up for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Proper way to chamber 1st round in a 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!