My principles of self defense

PDA

Cosmoline
May 19, 2003, 07:14 PM
-Favor the long gun over the short

-Only use the short gun if you have no other choice

-Favor the more powerful cartridge over the less

-Worry more about hitting the target than overpenetrating

-"Stopping" the aggressor is a lay euphemism. If deadly force is justified, killing is probably going to be the only way to stop them. Unless you're a ninja or something.

-Aim for the chest, and use something that will blow out as much tissue as possible. A great big hole in the back = no possibility that the aggressor will continue, no matter how much PCP he's taken.

I know these are brutal maxims, but so is the use of deadly force. That's why it's called DEADLY force. If you're going to use it, by definition you've got to kill or be killed. In other words, if you don't absolutely have to kill with the first shot, deadly force probably isn't justified in the first place.

If you enjoyed reading about "My principles of self defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
spacemanspiff
May 19, 2003, 07:21 PM
*gaaaaassssppp!!* shame on you cosmoline! how dare you premeditate such horrible acts of violence! it sounds like you cant wait to commit murder under the guise of 'self-defense'. you bad bad bad bad man.

ooops, sorry about that, i think i was just possessed, dunno if it was by an angel or a demon. :evil:

edit - i just noticed this is/was my 777th post. therefore, it MUST have been an angel that possessed me, as we all know that the number "7" represents godly perfection, and of course "6" is less than perfect and therefore evil. to further prove this point is the fact that "7" is in triplicate: 777. three represents emphasis. so basically, 'God' was really trying to drive some point home, unfortunately i have forgotten what that point was. :D

blades67
May 19, 2003, 07:27 PM
My principle of self defense is to shoot until the threat stops being a threat.

cordex
May 19, 2003, 07:59 PM
My principals of self defense are these:
- If you can walk away, walk away.
- If you can't walk away, run away.
- If you can't run away, you probably should have walked away earlier.
- If you have to defend yourself, do it right the first time.

Quintin Likely
May 19, 2003, 08:13 PM
It's always better to give than to receive (especially if items being exchanged are rounds going downrange).

Empty the magazine until the threat is neutralized. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

And there's nothing wrong with the strategic retreat. :)

TechBrute
May 19, 2003, 08:26 PM
If they find me dead, I will be surrounded by empty brass.

P95Carry
May 19, 2003, 08:54 PM
If they find me dead, I will be surrounded by empty brass. TechBrute ... I'll amend that a bit for me ......

''If they find me dead, I will hope to be surrounded by empty brass.'' :p Might just affect the construct of my epitaph!:D

Quintin Likely
May 19, 2003, 09:30 PM
There may come a day where someone will kill you with your own gun. But they should have to beat you to death with it, since you've expired all of your ammo on the threat. ;)

TechBrute
May 19, 2003, 09:36 PM
308, I like that. It may just appear in my signature sooner or later.

Quintin Likely
May 19, 2003, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately, I can't remember for the life of me where I pilfered that from...:confused:

winwun
May 20, 2003, 07:26 AM
Everyone is fond of playing "what-if". I have often thought that the way my luck runs, the countless rounds that I have loaded will be enjoyed by the punk whose first round is a lucky .22 short HP that took me between the eyes.

FWIW, I remember a guy in my outfit that somehow, on the pistol range, ran out in front of the line and took a FMJ out of a 1911 right between the eyes and he lived. He was a veggie, but he was alive. I visited him at the hospital and it was sad and creepy, the tiny bandage covering the entry. I don't know what the exit looked like. He didn't know anyone, but his eyes would follow vehicles and people walking outside his window. I don't know how long he lived.

Thumper
May 20, 2003, 07:51 AM
A308Winchester,

Your quote is attributable to Clint Smith.

Cosmoline
May 20, 2003, 04:52 PM
I'm a believer in delivering all the force you need with one shot. If you have to keep capping off rounds, each round puts you closer to the edge of manslaughter. If the cops find somebody with six holes in them, they may wonder at what point this fellow was no longer a deadly threat. You see the problem?

If the body has NO chest and is holding a pistol, the case is pretty much closed assuming there's no evidence of tom-foolery.

BB93YJ
May 21, 2003, 02:52 AM
Cop: " Sir, why did you shoot him eight times?"

Me: " That's all these Wilson Rodgers magazines hold..."

:evil:

Ryder
May 21, 2003, 03:15 AM
All your life be mine?

:D I really am a non-violent kinda guy :D

But there's no such thing as a fair fight and
I don't intend to be a fair loser at dying.

goalie
May 21, 2003, 09:20 AM
Either the conditions for one to use deadly force will have been met, or they will not have been met. How many times you shoot the person is not going to matter unless you shot him when he was already on the ground and obviously not a threat, and even then, if the shooting is deemed self defense (you were a reluctant participant, you considered retreat *unless in your home in SOME states, but not mine*, you were in fear for you life or limb) in the sense that the FIRST round you sent at the bad guy was justifiable, then it will end up being a good shoot.

Jeeper
May 21, 2003, 12:20 PM
My principals of self defense are these:
- If you can walk away, walk away.
- If you can't walk away, run away.
- If you can't run away, you probably should have walked away earlier.
- If you have to defend yourself, do it right the first time.

This is my basic principles also. 99.999999% of the time your brain is the best weapon. Dont get into situations where there might be a problem. If you cant avoid it then

Do it right the first time. If they are still standing or capable of shooting or harming you then keep shooting until they are not a threat

A person can harm you even if you have already shot them. I think alot of people think that one round is going to do it.

pax
May 21, 2003, 01:18 PM
My rules:

Pay attention to the world around you and you'll never have to use any of this stuff.

Use the Monty Python defense first ("Run away! Run away!")

Don't draw your gun unless you intend to shoot; don't point your gun at another human being unless you don't mind killing them.

Don't fire unless there is an immediate and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm to the innocent (and make durn sure you know who the "innocent" is).

Keep shooting until the threat has stopped. Don't quit until the threat is no longer a threat.

Stop shooting when the threat has stopped.

pax

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit softly. -- Theodore Roosevelt

Feanaro
May 21, 2003, 04:19 PM
308 stole the "beat you with your gun" thing from the Marine Corp gunfight rules. http://www.biznizzy.com/cgi-bin/news1/comments.cgi?view=54

If you enjoyed reading about "My principles of self defense" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!