Ok, THR members, where do you buy your real black powder?

PDA

Gewehr98
November 7, 2006, 09:29 PM
I've noticed a disturbing trend after I visited Cabela's in Richfield last weekend. Fewer and fewer stores are stocking genuine black powder, stocking Pyrodex and other substitutes instead. Obviously, insurance and fire department/zoning laws are putting a crimp on that. However, every now and then one finds a small gun shop out in the sticks that still stocks the holy black. Gary and Chris, I don't know if this warrants a sticky thread or not, but I'd like to see if we as THR members could create some sort of thread where folks could contribute their experience by listing the locations and stores where they managed to find stocking dealers of real black powder.

Why?

1. I'm down to my last couple pounds of Goex Cartridge since I moved to Wisconsin from Florida.

2. I can order more from Graf & Sons, but only if I pay the HazMat fee, making for a very expensive pound or two of powder.

3. I can't be the only person in these United States who'd rather not use Pyrodex or other substitutes in their black powder arms. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, THR members, where do you buy your real black powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
November 7, 2006, 09:39 PM
Darin,

I have heard this from various folks - but have been lucky I guess that my local FFL has (at last look) still kept Goex. Haven't checked local Gander for a while.

I have experimented with Triple 7 and Cleanshot but like you still want the real deal, sometimes - tho heck, I shoot BP way less than you. Because of that I still have a pound or two of Goex on the shelf.

I wonder if it is regional too as in these here parts i get the feeling the problem is less than elsewhere. Of course WalMart is almost only Pyrodex!!

OK - will sticky for a while and see what other folks are finding.

(BTW - I am so behind on reloading it's unreal and so the ''monster pills'' you so kindly sent are still awaiting mating to some brass!). It'll happen, one day :rolleyes:

Gewehr98
November 7, 2006, 09:47 PM
I sent him a batch of those same 485gr Whitworth pills, but he no longer has his big Marlin levergun. Maybe he still has the bullets...

I came up with a nice smokeless Alliant 2400 load for them, and they fairly zing out of my Sharps with a loud "Crack" and light recoil. It could be just the thing for your BFR or Ruger #1.

For the Wisconsinites, neither Gander Mountain in Madison, Janesville, or Baraboo stock the real thing - substitutes only.

Shawnee
November 7, 2006, 09:57 PM
I was going to go to Third Rail's house and steal his but changed my mind when I read about him planning to fill his entire gun barrel with black powder and touch 'er off just to see if anything notable comes of it.: eek:

Here in SW Buckeyeland my local store, such as it is:banghead: , has only Pyrodex, 777, and a wee dram of American whatchacallit rifle powder. But I recall seeing a vendor at the Dayton gun show who had a small amount of (I think) Goex and will look him up at the show in a couple weeks.

P95Carry
November 7, 2006, 10:02 PM
I like 2400 Darin - and may yet try that, tho the RL7 loads behind my 405's in BFR are real nice!

SR4759 is another one I mean to try with reduced loads - I have 8# of the stuff, which I got for playing with cast bullet rifle reloads. There are some published figures for it.

Third_Rail
November 7, 2006, 10:29 PM
Shawnee - sometimes, it's fun to test things to destruction from a safe distance. :D

Shawnee
November 7, 2006, 10:47 PM
"Safe distance" = "at least three states away" in this case! :uhoh:

Gewehr98
November 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
Where do YOU get your real black powder? The more the merrier with respect to this thread title. ;)

Third_Rail
November 7, 2006, 11:40 PM
Here (http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q=&v=&s=desc&p=3522) is a good place to start, and for the love of all, don't buy Goex if you can afford Swiss. :)

Since I've decided to splurge here and there (in a controlled manner) I've purchased some Swiss to replace my Goex which replaced my Pyrodex. It should arrive not too long from now, actually.

But honestly, other than Graf's... I've not seen it since about 4 years ago in any stores.

jackinil
November 8, 2006, 08:45 AM
The N-SSA,of which I'm a member, has National competition twice a year in May and October. A vendor there sells Goex,Swiss and Schuetzen along with caps just outside Fort Shenandoah[Winchester,VA] where we compete. There are always members of my unit going if I'm not so real blackpowder is not a problem.

sundance44s
November 8, 2006, 09:18 AM
The local sporting goods stores in my area have all but quit selling real Black Powder .. due to the regulations on their storage of the powder .. its a shame ...now Bass Pro here is the last to carry it and they are very proud of it ..$20.99 a can for Goex ...so i order 10 cans at a time from a company called Powder Inc . 136.00 delivered to my door ...thats hazmat shipping inculded they have a site www.PowderInc.com
not too bad i figure thats just 13.60 a can broken down . Bass Pro can keep theirs . My next order will include orders for 2 of my friends and will get it even at a better price per can ...the more ya buy in an order the cheaper it gets .

Plink
November 8, 2006, 05:27 PM
Only one store local to me sells real black powder anymore, and they want $18 a lb. for Goex. When I run low, I end up shooting that cursed Pyrodex garbage until I can make a bulk order. My last order came from Powder Inc. and I'm happy with their service. If you can't find it locally and don't want to buy a bulk order, maybe you can split an order with some friends? I couldn't find anyone local to split an order with, so I have 25 lbs. to shoot up. Which makes me giggle like a schoolgirl every time I think about it!

ewb45acp
November 8, 2006, 05:41 PM
My local "True Value" hardware store has a nice little firearms counter and has Goex in stock year round. This is Gay's True Value in Tunkhannock, for anyone in northeast PA.

Just across the bridge from Gay's is Brady & Caveny's sporting goods. they also stock Goex. I try to buy all my reloading supplies there. The owner is a real class act.

Shawnee
November 8, 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Third Rail...

Just ordered 2 lbs. of Swiss 3F from Graf's for my .44 revolvers to feed on.
Cost me $59.93 with Hazmat etc. but will take your advice that it's worth it. :)

4v50 Gary
November 8, 2006, 08:15 PM
I mail ordered a case from http://www.trackofthewolf.com. Rather cheap if you buy it by the case and split if five ways. They allow you to mix & match your f's. http://www.Mainepowderhouse.com will also do the same for you.

By the case (25 pounds), it's about $12 a pound. Call your buddies and do a group buy! Stock up now in case the British come back for Round III. I've got over 250 spare flints, and several 12 ounce water bottles filled with casted lead balls so if they do, I'm ready. We're going to have ourselves a militia drill (check Rambling Anecdotes for some entries on the antebellum militia drills). Some of them were strangely like our pie eating contests at the Rendezvous. ;)

Dave Markowitz
November 8, 2006, 08:48 PM
I get it at Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, PA (Berks County). I don't think they ship, but hopefully this'll help some fellow PA THR members.

I picked up a pound of 3Fg GOEX about a month ago for $16.

mec
November 10, 2006, 06:40 PM
the only way to get it here is to order it. Google Grafs' or Clarksville Rod and Gun- same town as Blackpowder inc. I believe. clarksville arkansas.

Loyalist Dave
November 15, 2006, 06:05 PM
I get mine in Gettysburg PA

dpote
November 15, 2006, 09:31 PM
I order from Graf's. I get enough at a time that I can eat the hazmat fee.
This is strange, because I'm fairly close to Coonie's in Hobbs, NM.
Sounds like I may have to point the Goldwing east and take a road trip.

Dave

TheWall
November 16, 2006, 06:16 PM
I buy mine at Clark Brothers in Warrenton, VA. It's about the only place in Northern VA that you can shoot outside (unless you belong to a club). As long as you buy your ammo there, you can shoot at Clark Brothers' range.

Nice folks and good selection of blackpowder supplies, including minnie balls, blackpowder and cleaning supplies.

It's a 40 minute drive from my house, but well worth it.

Not sure if they deliver.

dispatch55126
November 16, 2006, 07:55 PM
Don't count out the local general store out in the country. The only place I can find Goex Pinnacle anymore is a little general store outside Alexandria, MN...Nice selection of MilSurp as well.

Poodleshooter
November 21, 2006, 04:31 PM
The N-SSA,of which I'm a member, has National competition twice a year in May and October. A vendor there sells Goex,Swiss and Schuetzen along with caps just outside Fort Shenandoah[Winchester,VA] where we compete. There are always members of my unit going if I'm not so real blackpowder is not a problem.
I believe that's Mr. Venskoske of back creek gunshop.

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

He and his wife are excellent folks,and have good prices. Local gunshops charge a lot more in my area since so few of them have it. Accordingly I never buy from them.

Personally I recommend the following unless you want BP that costs more than Pyrodex:
A. Reenactors-these guys are usually buying in bulk. Hook up with the local group and see if you can get in on a buy.
B. Buy in bulk with friends from your range. Folks at our range have split up 25# orders from Goex and distributors (I think that's the minimum for 1 Hazmat charge). It saves a bundle anyway.

sundowner
November 21, 2006, 10:39 PM
How far are you from Richfield the is bill's sport shop just north of there that sells real black powder . phone # 920-269-4414
sundowner

TnRebel
November 22, 2006, 07:27 PM
Buffalo Bills -- Orlando Fl.

Gewehr98
November 23, 2006, 10:28 AM
Buffalo Bill's is where I got my 1874 Sharps Business Rifle, and 8 pounds of Goex FFg and Cartridge. I should've bought more there and just stuffed the extra cans in my truck when I moved North. I will get back to that store again someday, though. ;)

Mercerlake
November 26, 2006, 07:58 PM
I buy the real thing, BlackPowder, at "THE GUNWORKS" in Springfield Oregon. They also have a great on-line catalog full of Bp related shooting supplies. :)

ferg48
December 3, 2006, 06:56 PM
Accurate Arms Gun Store in Temecula CA. 17 bucks.

Hodgedons (sp?) costs 37 bucks for 777 same place... :)

Gewehr98
December 6, 2006, 11:39 PM
I will be heading to Lomira this weekend, hopefully Bill's will be open. I'm more than happy to drive an hour to get a few pounds of Holy Black, and it isn't too far from Cabela's, so I can get some Christmas shopping in, too! Thanks for the tip, this is exactly why I wanted to sticky the thread... ;)

Gewehr98
December 8, 2006, 10:28 PM
I bought two pounds of Goex Cartridge, and two pounds of Goex FFg. The inventory now stands at 5 pounds Cartridge, 5 pounds FFg. That should be enough Holy Black to keep me busy through the winter months at the reloading bench, making .45-70 BPCR rounds.

Funny how a small town sporting goods store will swing for the BP licensing and insurance, but just down the road on Highway 41, Cabela's won't. :scrutiny:

Banshee
December 8, 2006, 11:22 PM
I buy mine by the case from Maine Powder house.

pohill
December 9, 2006, 09:09 AM
I buy black powder in Maine, too, at the Kittery Trading Post ($14.00 can). The Maine Powder House is a few hours away from me, but I hear it's a great place to do business with.

dwave
December 9, 2006, 09:12 AM
Got my BP a couple of months back at the Cabelas in Wheeling WV. It was 17 per pound.

Chawbaccer
December 9, 2006, 09:21 AM
Cain's (http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/) is about ten miles down the road, about fifteen bucks a pound but no hazmat fee.

Blackhawkdc
December 9, 2006, 10:53 AM
For those of you in the state of 10000 lakes, Track of the Wolf in Elk River is the best price I've found. In fact the only place I've found locally that sells true blackpowder. They do sell over the internet also, but in bulk. http://www.trackofthewolf.com will take you there.

Seth

Steve499
December 9, 2006, 11:04 AM
Bogg's Creek gunshop in Jefferson City, Missouri. They carry Goex in stock and will special order Swiss ($17.00) for you.

Steve

Ditchtiger
December 9, 2006, 11:29 AM
www.thegunworks.com Springfield,Or. The largest Blackpowder shop west of the Mississippi.

Smilin Jack
December 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
www.thegunworks.com

in Springfield, Oregon. Less than an hours' drive from the house, and they have SO much stuff. They even make bp gun barrels etc. They sell from their website too.

Like the man says: It's the biggest black powder store west of the Mississippi.

Most of the rendezvous have trade tables that sell powder, shot, rifles, clothes etc. Last Goex I got was at "Winter Bend Rendezvou" for $14. I try to keep "several" cans ahead just in case...

I do like the idea of getting 24 cans in a case with your friends to divide up.

Smilin Jack
Western Oreogn

Cincinnati Slim
December 14, 2006, 10:33 AM
Howdy,

I can drive out to the NMLRA range in Friendship Indiana (about 50 miles)
and get Goex for only $ 10.00 a pound.:cool:

Beautiful place to shoot outdoors !:)

The Bass Pro Shop at Cincinnati Mills is about 20 miles from me. They have Goex black powder and all the substitutes. Goex fff is twice the price at Friendship at $ 20.00 a pound, Triple Seven is $ 22.00 and you have to ask a clerk for the real black since they keep it in a magazine somewheres. The subs are right out on the shelves. I'm guessing the deal is the same for most Bass Pros. Sure wish I had a Cabela's nearby !

Cheers,

Slim

Wwalstrom
December 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
Another place in the Metro that sells Goex is the Frontiersman, in St. Louis Park ... at $19/lb :eek:

sundance44s
December 14, 2006, 11:29 AM
The BassProShop here keeps the goex in the back room in a special storage container ...something they had to do 2 years ago over strick laws . They`ve gotten prouder of it too 20.99 a can ...i bought one can at that price and came home and ordered a case from Powderinc ... i shoot too much for their prices ..I feel much better haveing 10 cans at a time now ..don`t have to worrie about if or when i can get it anymore . Next order is going to be split with a friend so the price per can will get even cheaper . The more ya order the cheaper it gets . And when ordering over the net. no sales tax ..much better deal .

230RN
October 3, 2007, 01:48 PM
The Blunderbuss on West Colfax has it.

jrfoxx
October 3, 2007, 04:38 PM
I'm lucky that just 15 minutes from me is a shop owned by a VERY nice, helpful, knowledgeabe, older couple, that sells blackpowder guns and accessories/supplies exclusively.If your not as fortunate as I am to have a place like this nearby, then sadly there is often little choice but to order online and pay tne horrible fees.Sadly, inline muzzleloaders seem to bet the most popular by far, and thus, most places tend to only stock pyrodex pellets, sabot rounds, etc (around here at least).

tkendrick
October 3, 2007, 05:02 PM
Phoenix

There's a vendor generally shows at the NMLRA Winter shoot at Ben Avery every year. I usually stock up with 10 or 12 lbs every time he's here, and the prices are excellent, around 12 bucks a can IIRC.

DixieTexian
October 3, 2007, 07:04 PM
I can get it from George's Pawn Shop in Longview, TX for about $18 a can, I think. It's Goex.

SAKOHUNTER
October 3, 2007, 07:21 PM
I get mine through the muzzle loading club I belong to....Goex 3f for $12 a can.

They order it by the case to give us those prices.

4v50 Gary
October 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
Track of the Wolf and that was years ago.

Millwright
October 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
Several stores sell BP in my "area" ......NEPA. Yeah, I know where Tunkhanok (or however its pelled ) is, but a little too far... >MW

Jefferson Herb
November 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
Maine powder house,Track of the Wolf,Coonies,Powder inc,Graf and sons[only ones who let you order less than 25lbs].
The laws concerning Black powder are forcing many to stop carrying,In Eureka ca Bucksport is 22.00 a lb;and the only game in town.
If you have a black powder club,they should have it on hand.
Fed law is no more than 50 lbs,shipped directly to adult signature,may be distributed to club members,family and friends;WITH OUT MAKING A PENNY!! Otherwise you are in retail and have to comply with fed license.
Now really if you only have a pound or two,you're not doing your part.
Shotgun shells in break open types are great to use bp shells,track of the wolf can help with wads etc,and they are faster than some skeet loads,balanced
loads powder shot-volume.Lets not forget that all old firearms were made to use bp.

gotgcoalman
November 18, 2008, 04:43 PM
I get proper bp off mate who runs club i'm in.

13/pound about $30

if all else fails

Hogsons 777 3fG
40/pound nearly $100
(dedication or madness)

if it goes BANG at the end of the day and you hit what your'e aiming @ how can you put a price on such a great sport

ps UK prices are a rip off.
depending on exchange rates lol

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
November 18, 2008, 04:45 PM
You might try this place. I think by even paying the hazmat fee, Goex is about
12.00 delivered to your door.
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
November 18, 2008, 04:58 PM
I also by at Friendship. This last Sept. it was 11.00 for Goex.

gotgcoalman
November 18, 2008, 05:02 PM
will they ship to the UK?

Think the UPS guy will be edgey

nw_hunter
November 18, 2008, 08:58 PM
Powder Inc. is a Distributor for Goex and other Black powders.

Check out the KIK powder they carry. I use it now, and can't tell any difference in it, or Goex. I like the price of KIK It's real black powder, not a Sub.! Brad

4v50 Gary
November 19, 2008, 12:03 AM
Thirteen pounds for a lb of black powder? Are you sure they're not selling you precious metals like silver or platinum?

the-ghost
November 19, 2008, 12:40 AM
get mine at the blunderbuss in denver, goex or swiss when its in stock.

Smokin_Gun
November 19, 2008, 01:57 AM
Get mine at a Local place called the Gun Shop in Lancaster, CA... $16.85 a pound Goex.cPick up a couple three lbs. at a time.
Otherwise would order from Powder Inc. as Sundance mentioned...

SG

Shultzhaus
November 19, 2008, 06:25 AM
I guess I'm lucky. I have several places within 50 miles.
Scott's - 5 miles $20, Kinsey's Outdoor - Elizabethtown PA 20 miles $14.50 Bass Pro, Harrisburg PA ? can, Dixon's $19 I go to Kinsey's and get several cans, and the cost of the trip is covered.

Eagle103
November 19, 2008, 03:08 PM
Graf and Sons carries it. It looks like they even package it themselves.
http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522

Jimfern
November 19, 2008, 03:11 PM
I get it there. Last time I bought it, Goex was $9.99 a can.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
November 19, 2008, 08:30 PM
Here is the cheapest for powder.
http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

BHP FAN
November 19, 2008, 09:16 PM
Cooniesblkpdr@aol.com

scrat
November 19, 2008, 09:38 PM
shooting range or gun shops its pretty well stocked out here

JACK STEELE
November 20, 2008, 01:34 PM
GET MINE FROM GRAFS, CANT FIND ANY AROUND HERE WITHIN A HUNDRED MILES:banghead:

Sagetown
January 11, 2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/FourBee/blackpowdersblackpowdertest.jpg

Goex = $12.75 EXPRESS $17.75 KIK = $10.60 SWISS $19.25

POWDER INC.

It is less expensive for me to have it shipped, rather than drive 1 hour and pick it up myself . :D

mykeal
January 11, 2009, 05:28 PM
Powder, Inc's prices have changed:

5, 10, 25 or 50 lbs/order only, no partial cases
Hazmat fee, shipping, handling, insurance included
Goex: cost/lb varies with amount ordered, see below
1 lb total cost: not available
5 lb total cost: $99.75, or $19.95 /lb
10 lb total cost: $160.50, or $16.05 /lb
25 lb total cost: $325.00, or $13.00 /lb

Swiss:
5 lb total cost: $132.25, or $26.45 /lb
10 lb total cost: $225.50, or $22.55 /lb
25 lb total cost: $498.75, or $19.95 /lb

KIK
5 lb total cost: $89.00, or $17.80 /lb
10 lb total cost: $139.00, or $13.90 /lb
25 lb total cost: $260.00, or $10.40 /lb

mykeal
January 11, 2009, 05:34 PM
Just for the heck of it, here's the results of a little survey I did based on some of the inputs in this thread. Prices are as of 5 pm EST 1/11/2009:

Graf & Sons
http://www.grafs.com/powders/3522
Can order any amount in 1 lb increments up to 50 lbs
Goex: $13.59 /lb
Hazmat fee: $22.50 ($45.00 for 21 lbs & above)
Shipping: $0.00
Handling & insurance: $4.50
1 lb total cost: $40.59, or $40.59 /lb
5 lb total cost: $94.95, or $18.99 /lb
20 lb total cost: $298.80, or $14.94 /lb
25 lb total cost: $389.25, or $15.57 /lb

Graf black powder: $11.99 /lb (+Haz & PHS)
Swiss: $19.99 /lb (+Haz & PHS)

Powder, Inc.
http://www.powderinc.com/
5, 10, 25 or 50 lbs/order only, no partial cases
Goex: cost/lb varies with amount ordered, see below
1 lb total cost: not available
5 lb total cost: $99.75, or $19.95 /lb
10 lb total cost: $160.50, or $16.05 /lb
25 lb total cost: $325.00, or $13.00 /lb

Swiss:
5 lb total cost: $132.25, or $26.45 /lb
10 lb total cost: $225.50, or $22.55 /lb
25 lb total cost: $498.75, or $19.95 /lb

KIK
5 lb total cost: $89.00, or $17.80 /lb
10 lb total cost: $139.00, or $13.90 /lb
25 lb total cost: $260.00, or $10.40 /lb

Track Of The Wolf
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/
25 or 50 lb case lots only
Goex:
25 lb total cost: $360.75, or $14.43 /lb
Swiss:
25 lb total cost: $627.00, or $25.08 /lb

Maine Powder House
http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/
5, 10 or 25 lb lots only
Must call for pricing on 5 and 10 lb lots
Goex:
25 lb total cost: $350.00, or $14.00 /lb
Swiss:
25 lb total cost: $497.00, or $19.88 /lb
Schuetzen:
25 lb total cost: $350.00, or $14.00 /lb

Back Creek Gun Shop
http://www.blackpowderva.com/
Must call for UPS shipping rates, hazmat fee unknown
Goex:
1 lb cans -
1 lb total cost: $13.50 (+Haz, PHS), or $13.50 /lb
25 lb total cost: $315.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $12.60 /lb
25 lb bulk-
25 lb total cost: $270.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $10.80 /lb

Schuetzen:
1 lb cans-
1 lb total cost: $13.50 (+Haz, PHS), or $13.50 /lb
25 lb total cost: $315.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $12.60 /lb
To reenactors:
1 lb cans-
1 lb total cost: $11.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $11.00 /lb
25 lb total cost: $250.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $10.00 /lb
25 lb bulk-
25 lb total cost: $215.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $8.60 /lb

Swiss:
1 lb cans -
1 lb total cost: $20.50 (+Haz, PHS), or $20.50 /lb
25 lb total cost: $485.00 (+Haz, PHS), or $10.40 /lb

Cain’s Outdoor
http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/product.asp
Hazmat fee: $20 /order up to 25 lbs, $40/ order 25-50 lbs
PHS: unknown
Goex: $18.95 /lb, but out of stock
No other black powders listed.

Jack’s Powder Keg
http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/
25 lb only by mail order
Goex:
25 lb total cost: $315.00, or $12.60 /lb

Jack’s Battle Powder:
25 lb total cost: $255.00, or $10.20 /lb

Sagetown
January 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hey Mykeal: :)
I don't doubt what you say as of 1/11/2009's prices from GOEX ($99.75), as everything is going up in price right now.

My 12/17/2008 invoice for 5 cans of assorted Black Powder was >>>$73.10
at the prices I mentioned. {$26.65} **That's a pretty good hike. Glad I got mine when I did. It will last me for awhile, as I don't shoot all that often.:D

Ginormous
March 22, 2009, 05:26 PM
Mom and pop gun shop with a leaning towards black powder shooting:

Deercreek Gun Shop
280 S Fairground St SE
Marietta, GA 30060
(770) 425-5060‎

Goex black powder kept on site in a proper BP magazine at about $20 a pound:

Fg
FFg
FFFg
FFFFg

Also, BP accessories, leather, locks, flints and an on site gunsmith were present when I visited.

TMC4232
March 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
In the Phoenix, Arizona area Bass Pro Shops still sells GOEX for about $19 per can. Most gun shops here no longer carry it because of city fire codes and insurance requirements.

Get it while you can guys. These may be the "good old days".

Gewehr98
March 22, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'll post what the prices were for my purchases when I make the trip.

I've also been told that I should contact some of the local fireworks distributors in Southern Wisconsin. It appears they may have a way to keep me supplied, although I don't know what it is that they'd provide. Chinese fireworks powder ain't exactly Goex Cartridge, if you know what I mean... :D

DutchmanDick
March 22, 2009, 09:44 PM
I just ordered a 25-pound case (12 pounds FFFg, 13 pounds FFg) of KIK powder from Powder Inc. Prices seemed pretty reasonable. A friend of mine orders his from Graf & Sons.

TMC4232
March 22, 2009, 09:59 PM
How do you guys store so much black powder? I have 3 cans each of FFg and FFFg in my Liberty gun safe along with several cans of smokeless powders, but was just curious if you large volume buyers use a dedicated safe for so many pounds of explosives in your homes.

Gewehr98
March 22, 2009, 10:05 PM
Honest. I bought it at a DRMO auction many years ago, and it's perfect for storing propellants. The bright yellow color I can do without, but all my smokeless and BP sit in there just fine. :D

It looks a lot like the one on the left here:

http://advancedwarehousesolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/pag111.jpg

TMC4232
March 22, 2009, 10:34 PM
Gewehr98,
Wow, that looks first class. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Ginormous
March 22, 2009, 10:36 PM
Stack On gun safe from Northern Tool - at the far end of the house, away from all exits we might use in case of fire. Makes a nice vase holder. Heh.

DoubleDeuce 1
March 22, 2009, 10:43 PM
Take a look at Jack's Powder Keg. It will be worth your time. Jack is a real gentleman and a pleasure to do business with. Give him a call on the toll free number.:cool:

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
March 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
I get mine, Goex & Swiss at Friendship Indiana. Anyone who attends the shoots can get it there. I think the price last year was 11.00 a lb.

NCWanderer
June 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
Anyone know where I can buy BP in North Carolina? Hopefully in the Triad area.

Sagetown
June 2, 2009, 09:33 PM
NCWanderer; Local purchases of real black such as GOEX is getting harder and harder to find. I hope you can find some locally, but if not you have several options on the previous page. Five pound minimum is required for some mail orders, while others require larger Lots.
Sage.........

NCWanderer
June 2, 2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks Sagetown, I kinda figure that's what I'll have to do. All I have is a pound that was given to me by a friend who said it was about 12 years old. I guess age don't matter with BP because it fires with any problems.

TMC4232
June 3, 2009, 03:16 AM
Can't help you here in Arizona but the only place I know of to buy GOEX Black Powde is Bass Pro Shops. I just picked up 5 cans of FFg for the Walkers and .54 Hawken. Sooner or later, it will be "too dangerous" to sell.

Shultzhaus
June 3, 2009, 06:07 AM
So far these Goex retailers are available in SE PA:
Bass Pro - Harrisburg
Kinsey's Outdoor - Elizabethtown
Shyda's - Lebanon
Dixon's - Krumville (near Kutztown)
Scott's Skeet - Willow Street
Price ranges - 15.95 to 18.95

Hawkeye748
June 3, 2009, 10:15 AM
Here is a link to Goex Distributors:

www.goexpowder.com

There are dealers around that also sell, but the price is usually higher.

Smokin_Gun
June 3, 2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/index.html

Publius1688
July 5, 2009, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, here's a recommendation. Check around and see if there are any civil war re-enactors in your area. They routinely travel to "events" where sutlers sell powder. I'm willing to bet one of them would be willing to pick up a # or two for you!

coltdoctor
August 1, 2009, 07:57 PM
White Elephant, Spokane WA

Ratdog68
August 1, 2009, 08:18 PM
White Elephant, Spokane WA
My Uncle Stan's favorite place to shop... then from there, Old Country Buffet.

coltdoctor
August 1, 2009, 08:37 PM
You're talkin some good waffles!

Ratdog68
August 1, 2009, 08:39 PM
Never been there for breakfast.

Smokin_Gun
August 2, 2009, 05:34 AM
Powder Inc...

billnpatti
August 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
Go to the Goex web site at www.goexpowder.com and click on the distributors list on the left side of the screen. That will give you the name of the nearest distributor. Contact them to find out where you can buy the good stuff.

billnpatti
August 2, 2009, 08:04 AM
It looks as if your closest distributor is CSI Sports, LLC in Sauk Rapids, MN.

TMC4232
August 2, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hey Poodleshooter.........that's an interesting handle you got there. How did you come about it?

On Black Powder I still get mine at Bass Pro Shops in Mesa, Arizona. That is about the only place in the Phoenix area that I know of. Going to buy another 3 lbs today!!

arcticap
August 9, 2009, 12:22 AM
There's a large public shooting range with a gun shop in Wallingford, CT that usually stocks it but their prices tend to be high. They also carry a wide variety of muzzle loading shooting supplies.
Located off of Exit 15 of I-91, south of the intersections with the Merritt Parkway & I-691 in south Central Connecticut.

http://www.bluetrailrange.com/Home_Page.html

http://local.yahoo.com/info-10591262-blue-trail-range-gun-store-wallingford

If you enjoyed reading about "Ok, THR members, where do you buy your real black powder?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!