help me out here...

PDA

SkaerE
May 19, 2003, 08:39 PM
i like to take good pictures of my firearms/knives etc. for when i need to sell, or just to show someone.

plus, its good to catalog firearms, serial numbers etc...

anyhow, i want a good digital camera for these purposes.

i think ive got it narrowed down to these two, but chime in if you know of any good one that meet my criteria.

i want:

manual and auto focus
3 or more mega pixels
under $550 or thereabouts
adjustable shutter speed (manual)

so far, these 2 are the finalists.

Nikon Coolpix 995
Fuji FinePix S602

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "help me out here..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
blades67
May 19, 2003, 08:49 PM
I prefer the Nikon myself.

Mike Irwin
May 19, 2003, 08:50 PM
I've got a Fuji FinePix 2600Z, 2 megapixel.

It's a very good camera at a very good price, relatively easy to use, pretty easy to set up on the computer.

One of the biggest things about photographing guns & knives is a diffuse source of light that won't create glaring hotspots on the metal.

Standing Wolf
May 19, 2003, 08:56 PM
I bought my first Nikon in 1994. I still have it. It still works. I've bought two more Nikons and some lenses. They're all good.

That saidâ„¢, if I were starting over, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the premium for the Nikon name, not to mention accessories. I think Nikon wants to be a way of life.

SkaerE
May 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
One of the biggest things about photographing guns & knives is a diffuse source of light that won't create glaring hotspots on the metal.

sure is,

right now i use kind of a jerry-rigged setup, but it seems to work.

i took a 1 million candle power spotlight and put a piece of notebook paper over the lens. VERY bright, but diffused completely (ie, no one bright spot)

i like it so far :)

although a cloudy but still bright day is good as well.

my camera right now (canon 1.3 MP) has autofocus (which i HATE) and no provision for macro focus (up close) it never seems to focus on what i want it to. but hell, its great for trips (small and auto) but not for what i want now...

so, Nikon or Fuji? hmmm...

does Nikon even make the 995 anymore? i had heard they were discontinued. i wonder if they were/why they were. the Fuji seems like it would be more durable.

does anyone have either of THESE cameras? it'd be great if someone here had both :evil:

thanks

762x51
May 20, 2003, 11:09 AM
You are correct....the 995 has been discontinued. Have you looked at the Canon Powershot G3? I just bought one for $539 after reading all the reviews on it. It hasn't been delivered yet though so I can't comment on it personally.

Try www.dpreview.com for some great in depth info.

NRA4LIFE
May 20, 2003, 11:15 AM
I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300, 4 MP. I love it.

SkaerE
May 20, 2003, 11:17 AM
ok, how about from these...

Canon Powershot G3
Sony Cybershot DSC-F717
Nikon CoolPix 5000
Fuji FinePix 602Z

the pain in the ??? is, the more i look for info/reviews etc...the more i find that look good :)

Steve Smith
May 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
Mike Irwin has the Fuji FinePix 2600, I have a 2800 model. I think they're GREAT.

Snowdog
May 20, 2003, 11:38 AM
I was looking to buy a cheap digital camera, nothing expensive at all, maybe under $150 if possible.

Last year, or close to that, I bought a FujiFilm Finepix 2300 2.1 Mega Pixel for $90 new in box off E-bay. I'm happy with it but feel an AC Jack would be great, as this camera will eat 4 AA batteries faster than I've ever seen them go.
Not much on features... only comes with an 8MB memory card (can be upgraded, of course), but with the 1.5 (roughly) LCD screen, I can keep only the pics I want and delete the rest.

Mike Irwin
May 20, 2003, 11:38 AM
One of the best things about the Fuji cameras (I don't know if they make the 2600/2800 series anymore) is that they are relatively cheap. IIRC I paid about $230 all told for mine when it was on sale.

It uses SmartMedia cards, which are great. They're small and unobtrusive, and relatively inexpensive compared to other media sources.

It will also take a movie clip of approximately 15 seconds length -- no sound though.

If there's one drawback to the camera it is that it is on the small size for my hands, but that's not a really big deal.

This is just a toss-off picture I did outside my house after the big snow in February. I didn't do any editing on it other than to resize it a bit, and I did lighten it a bit as it was pretty drab out.

I think for the size and price the camera gives excellent results.

I've also posted a number of gun pix I've done with the camera, but those haven't turned out as well as I still don't have my light source set correctly.

Ah, reading Snow Dog's message reminded me... The 2600 uses 2 nicad rechargables that come with the camera, along with the charger. It recommends against using any other battery. The batteries last quite a long time, and recharge fairly quickly. Flash will, of course, eat them up, but it wouldn't be a problem to get another set and just swap them out.

The 2600 does have a power adpater port, but didn't come with the little transformer pack.

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL26/932748/1714717/20273325.jpg

Steve Smith
May 20, 2003, 11:48 AM
I've forgotten all the reasons I went with the 2800 over the 2600, but I'm sure either is good. I went with a 128M card, and I can record 10 minutes of video. Or roughly 400 pictures at the reasonably high quality level or about 150 of the very high quality (forgot all the stats, I just push the button).

Oleg Volk
May 20, 2003, 12:32 PM
Someone I know is selling the 3MP Nikon 990 I used for several months to take photos for my web site. If anyone is interested, let me know. It comes with a custom flash bracket and a hot shoe flash, so it is possible to bounce light off a white wall or a ceiling for results like these:
Buckmark (http://www.a-human-right.com/buckmark2.jpg)
Buckmark, USP, knife (http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/selfdefensekit_s.jpg)
Mossberg 500 (http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/s_solution2.jpg)
All these were done without any studio lights, just with the hot shoe flash bounced off the ceiling. The camera fits all your required characteristics, comes with the flash, bracket and (expensive) Nikon connector cable, all for $450. One advantage it has over the 995 is that the lens has a larger maximum aperture.

(Some studio pics of a CZ75 with that camera: 1 (http://www.olegvolk.net/work/swat/cz75/cz75-11.jpg), 2 (http://www.olegvolk.net/work/swat/cz75/mag-brake.jpg).

If you enjoyed reading about "help me out here..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!