Revolver question

PDA

Kahramon
November 8, 2006, 05:27 AM
I am new in firearms and have a question in particular regarding revolvers.
Is there any possibility to mount a silencer/sound suppressor on a revolver. If yes, can you describe the process how it is done and attach some pictures, please?

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
November 8, 2006, 06:34 AM
Possible, yeah, but it tends not to work very well. Too much sound escapes through the gap between the barrel and cylinder.

The "how" is easy. Mount the front sight back a bit, thread the outside of the barrel ahead of it, screw the "silencer" onto the barrel. The threaded barrel will make the gun illegal in some states though...California for one.

Eightball
November 8, 2006, 06:35 AM
Yes, but it is not worth the effort. Special pains have to be taken to close the cylinder gap, which is where hot gases escape and create noise, regardless of the muzzle. It has been done, though--people have closed the cylinder gap somehow and had an "integrally silenced" barrel threaded in.

If you want silenced, get an auto--you could probably buy a nice kimber, get a custom threaded barrel, and a nice can for it for the same price as modifying a revo to be able to do so.

Or just buy one of these things: http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg194-e.htm

miko
November 8, 2006, 04:19 PM
Russinn Nagants do not have a gap issue - there is a complete seal when the round is fired. Nagants have been successfully equipped with silencers by special ops.

miko

Ron James
November 8, 2006, 06:33 PM
You can also check with http://www.atf.gov/ for advise.

Ron James
November 8, 2006, 07:42 PM
PS, It wouldn't supprise me if this was a "bait" question from a rookie ATF agent looking for browine points from his boss.

wdlsguy
November 8, 2006, 07:53 PM
I think you're being a bit too suspicious. He says he lives in Uzbekistan in an earlier post. Perhaps suppressors are legal there. Seems like a perfectly reasonable question in any event.

Steve C
November 8, 2006, 10:13 PM
A revolver, other the the Moisen Nagants, won't be quieted enough to be like a silenced semi auto due to cylinder gap. I have seen pictures of a silencer mounted on a .44 revolver used by "tunnel rats" in Vietnam. The can looked like it was simply screwed on a threaded barrel. The idea was to reduce the muzzle blast from a handgun in the close quarters of the VC tunnels these guys went into in order to flush out the enemy rather than a silent assasin type weapon. This way the soldier could shoot an enemy and still retain his hearing to detect enemy aproaching in the dark.

SDC
November 8, 2006, 10:29 PM
The Vietnam "silenced" revolver system actually used silenced ammunition, instead of a suppressor on the revolver; it was known as the QSPR ("Quiet Special Purpose Revolver"), and built on the S&W N-frame. The ammunition had a sliding seal inside the case that was ahead of the primer and powder, but behind a payload of #4 buckshot, so when it was fired, the expanding gasses would be trapped inside the case. (The Russians currently have a very similar system based on the 7.62x39 round; see http://world.guns.ru/ammo/sp-e.htm )

Ron James
November 8, 2006, 11:13 PM
If Kahramon is from Uzekistan then I doubt that silenced or suppressed fire arms are legal. Uzekistan is an authoritarian state with limited civil rights. The State it self has turned against the US and it borders Afghanistan. The country is in a state of unrest and is follows the Islam faith. Extremist have set off a series of bombings and the goverment in turn has imprisoned or killed a number a large number of tribesmen. Yes, wanting to know how to silence a revolver may be an innocent question. He may just want to shoot gofers in his garden and not disturb his neighbors but then again maybe he's planing a trip over the border. I trust every one, but I still cut the cards.

SDC
June 24, 2007, 07:01 PM
Just to drag this ancient thread up again, I recently saw the below in Kokalis' "Weapon Tests and Evaluation"; it's a Ruger GP-100 that has been extensively modified to fire a 30-calibre cartridge that seals the barrel/cylinder gap with an O-ring arrangement. This was apparently built by Knight Engineering, and is shown with detachable shoulder-stock, built-in suppressor, scope and starlight scope (where's the slurpee machine?)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p22/StaceyC123/RevolverRifle.jpg

MCgunner
June 24, 2007, 09:13 PM
Christ, talk about your specialized firearms! I guess the idea is it doesn't leave any cases lying around? Can see no other advantage in a silenced revolver. I would think about the only market for these things would be CIA and other spook type organizations.

Who knows, maybe some special ops guy is lining Osama up in the crosshairs of one of these things as we speak. We can only hope.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!