CMMG AR-15

PDA

Tarendol
November 8, 2006, 02:33 PM
I've been wanting an AR for some time now. However, I am poor and it would cost me well over a years savings to buy one at the moment (and mess up my plans for getting some surplus rifles). However, I have to weigh in the possibility of a new AWB, which is making me seriously consider going ahead and

I live relatively close to CMMG and I was thinking of getting one of their rifles. They seem to be highly rated. Can any one give me a recommendation? Should I even be worrying about a new AWB? I have also been considering the SU-16 as a semi-auto .223 but I've never actually seen one for sale (or one in stock online).

If you enjoyed reading about "CMMG AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Gary G23
November 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
With Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the house yes I think you should be worried. CMMG makes good stuff. Go for it. Most of us that were gun owners during the last ban wished we had purchased more stuff when we had the chance.

Tarendol
November 8, 2006, 04:14 PM
I guess my real issue is that I don't really need an AR-15, I just want one, and $1,000 is a lot for something I don't need (at the moment at least). I don't have a SHTF rifle so I could justify it that way...

f4t9r
November 8, 2006, 04:16 PM
You deserve it , Just do it !!!!!!!

Bartholomew Roberts
November 8, 2006, 04:24 PM
If you want an AR15 at some time in the future, I would seriously consider making the purchase now. The political situation is by no means a doomsday scenario; but it definitely isn't going to be as sunny as it has been and uncertainty in the firearms business often leads to even higher prices.

I have a CMMG barrel on one of my rifles and have been pleased with it. It strikes me as being comparable quality to most of the other chrome-lined barrels on the market right now (except the Armalite which is noticeably better).

Tarendol
November 8, 2006, 05:06 PM
Thank you for your replies.

If you want an AR15 at some time in the future, I would seriously consider making the purchase now. The political situation is by no means a doomsday scenario; but it definitely isn't going to be as sunny as it has been and uncertainty in the firearms business often leads to even higher prices.

Yes, this is my thought exactly.

If this was an issue of going into debt or not eating or something then it wouldn't be a real choice; but I can afford the rifle. I just won't be able to afford anything else for some time.

Anyway, sorry for using the forum as a testing board for my own thoughts, I just really had to write something. It's a hard choice for me.

MrAcheson
November 8, 2006, 06:15 PM
I have a CMMG upper on my AR. It a lot nicer than the lower I assembled myself, thats for darn sure.

Bridger
November 8, 2006, 07:22 PM
Do it! Get it! You'll soon love it too

bofe954
November 9, 2006, 12:56 PM
You could pick up a stripped lower reciever for the same price as a mil-surp. I think you would need a pretty powerful ban to eliminate parts kits and uppers. If you are not mechanically inclined you could get a complete lower (even a big name brand would be $200 or so) and then watch the boards for used uppers.

wdlsguy
November 9, 2006, 02:01 PM
Seconding what bofe954 said. You can put together a perfectly serviceable AR for a lot less than $1000.

Tarendol
November 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
So, I ended up getting a CMMG! It was actually interesting, I was totally planning on getting a 16" mid-length but after holding all the rifles they had I fell in love with the 14.5" mid-length. I know 14.5" with the permanent flash hider is not favored on THR but I just liked the feel of it better. I have to admit I feel a little guilty about getting the 14.5", I keep thinking about the 1.5" of barrel I am missing... but it honestly does feel better in my hands.

Spencer
November 13, 2006, 09:51 PM
Go ahead and get your AR. If you settle for anything less than you really want, like the SU-16, no matter how you try to rationalize it, you probably won't be satisfied.

Especially with the democrats back in power.

Edit: Sorry didn't read down until this point.

Good you like your purchase. Well does it really matter what THR thinks? You like it better, that's a good enough reason in itself. :D

Bartholomew Roberts
November 13, 2006, 10:11 PM
Hey, the whole point of a rifle is to get what you want, not what other people like. My first AR was an Olympic AR15 with an 11.5" stainless steel barrel and a 5" permanently attached flash hider.

soul_rapier
November 13, 2006, 11:00 PM
i had a m4 type built for around $700 i could have got it cheaper but i didnt find no stripped lowers at the gun show . so that cost a little more then i wanted but its all together and works great .i set there and watched the gunsmith put it together and it looked fairly simple didnt even have to head space it he said if you know what you are doin you dont have to worry about that barrel torque is 55 lbs. so i hope this helps oh yeah i didnt have to pay the gunsmith best friend's dad so i got off cheap 1/2 gallon of vodka all he wanted here's some of the places i got the parts from www.rguns.net www.jtdistributing.com

VA27
November 13, 2006, 11:07 PM
I put a 1:7 chrome lined CMMG barrel on my Bushy and I couldn't be happier. It's even accurate with my Ceiner 22 adaptor and Agila SSS.

MachIVshooter
November 14, 2006, 12:13 AM
Armalite is still clearancing right now. IIRC, you can pick up a complete lower (marked Eagle) for $220 and a complete 16" upper for $265. Not sure if the lower comes with a stock, but you can get a telescoping one for$40. That would bring your total to ~$550 with a couple mags.

Armalite sale items (http://www.armalite.com/sales/specials/excess/Excess031008.htm)

Edit: Just realized that Upper is a receiver/barrel kit. Going to need many parts. A complete upper is $500.

springmom
November 14, 2006, 12:28 AM
Goodness, Bartholomew, when I PM'ed you about optics, I didn't realize your first was an Olympic Arms :D

I had to chuckle reading this: I was at the range putting my new Olympic Arms 16" through a sort of break in (not quite the extent they recommend) and shooting to zero it in. Next to me was a guy with another AR, a 20". We got to talking during breaks between sessions, and he was down at the High Caliber Gun Show this weekend (as were we) and got HIS Ar for exactly the same reason. So did I.

Without being Chicken Little, I think it's prudent to get things now that may be difficult later (and more expensive). I've got several more mags on order, as does DH for his "new" WW-II era M-1 carbine. At this point, we feel pretty comfortable with the guns we have, so the rest of the year will be buying mags and ammo (and a scope and mount for that AR, Bartholomew!)

If I were you, I'd get it. Heck, I *did* get it. Go for it.

Then go out and shoot it and have a GREAT time. These guns are FUN!!!!!

Springmom

soul_rapier
November 14, 2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.rangersales.com/index.php?main_page=index

10-Ring
November 14, 2006, 01:29 AM
Don't worry about what others think...you only have to impress you ;)

blacksuit
November 14, 2006, 03:10 PM
Man I would say go for it... Wait until you find a good deal and then just do it. I wanted one for a long time, and like you am poor...lol. I waited and found a good deal and bought it.

tford
November 23, 2006, 04:34 PM
I would contact Hicks trading Station in Pinckneyville, Illinois. These are great people, and I am sure you will come away with a really nice AR-15 at a very good price, I did.:)

tford

If you enjoyed reading about "CMMG AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!