Question on buying from CMP, FFL

PDA

mindwip
November 8, 2006, 02:45 PM
I want to buy some M1s from CMP, but i dont see where they have a spot for your FFL dealer. So my question is do i need a FFL dealer? (i live in CA)

I have heard others on this forum say they ship to your door, but i thought that was illegal, unless you had a C&R.

Please help, i figure asking here is faster then emailing them and waiting 2 days for an answer, sense a lot of poeple have ordered from CMP here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on buying from CMP, FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Scoupe
November 8, 2006, 02:48 PM
Buying from CMP exempts the requirement of going through an FFL holder. They will FedEx it to your door after all the proper paperwork is filled out.

jthuang
November 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
Yep, no FFL required. My SG M1 was sent directly to my door.

PS they ran out of Service Grade M1s in August/Sept but now have more in stock (for now). Buy 'em while you can.

SoCalShooter
November 8, 2006, 03:01 PM
I have not sent my paper work in yet :( I am so lazy, cant wait to have a rifle shipped to my door. Does anyone else think that the concept that the government can ship a weapon to your door but you cant get an FFL to ship a rifle to your door?

jthuang
November 8, 2006, 03:04 PM
I have not sent my paper work in yet I am so lazy

You wanna compare notes about being lazy? I shot the CMP qualifier in 1998 (!!!) and waited until 2006 to order my first CMP gun. :neener:

Doing so, I cost myself around $300 seeing as "regular" CMP M1s were going for $180-200 in 1998, whereas my Service Grade M1 ran me $550. :mad:

ocabj
November 8, 2006, 03:14 PM
If you want to handpick out a rife, you have about 4 hours left to get to Camp Pendleton before the CMP truck leaves. There should be rack grade and field grade rifles, rack grade woodless Danes, SG reparked barrelled receivers, Kimber M82s, and H&R M12s left.

mindwip
November 8, 2006, 03:24 PM
I was told they did not have service grade rifles there so i did not go to the sales, but i did go to the class on sat. 4 hours long but worth it, learing how to handle a m1 was great. Even learned the thumb trick.

Thanks for answering the question, i will be mailing it of today, i am ordering 3 i think, 2 service grade and one rack/fleid grade to convert into a 308.

What do you guys think would be better to use as a 308 platforum field or rack?

ocabj
November 8, 2006, 03:52 PM
I was told they did not have service grade rifles there so i did not go to the sales

Rack Grade rifle ($395) + Service Grade barrelled receiver ($300) = $695

Service Grade rifle = $550

$695 - $550 = $145 difference. I think a rack grade barrelled receiver is worth more than $145, especially if the barrel is a WWII era considering you can sell that barrel for around $75 or better, which in worst case would leave you a receiver for $70. Can't get any better than that.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with just ordering a service grade rifle straight up. Slightly longer wait since the rack grade rifles and service grade barrelled receiver are currently in-stock, but whatever is easiest for you.

As far as rebarrelling for 308, just get a rack grade and learn how to clean wood.

Mr White
November 8, 2006, 04:14 PM
Does anyone else think that the concept that the government can ship a weapon to your door but you cant get an FFL to ship a rifle to your door?Actually, the CMP isn't part of the government. Its a privately owned corporation. It was created after Clinton put the kibosh to the DCM, which was a government entity.

Roccobro
November 8, 2006, 04:43 PM
I couldn't get a straight answer nor a copy of my shooting clubs affiliation. I just passed as the paperwork was more a hassle than getting my C&R.

Justin

jthuang
November 8, 2006, 04:59 PM
I couldn't get a straight answer nor a copy of my shooting clubs affiliation.

My shooting club wasn't CMP affiliated until a few years ago.

That said, you can just join the Garand Collector's Association. It is $20/yr and it qualifies.

Then you will be good to go and you can submit your paperwork.

Justin

ocabj
November 8, 2006, 05:02 PM
I've always tried to explain the whole CMP process to people at my range. But some people just have a hard time understanding it, even though CMP purchases are so simple to comprehend.

I just don't bother anymore. Whenever someone asks me about how to get a Garand from the CMP, I just write down the website URL for them and let them read it. If they can't figure it out, oh well. More Garands for the rest of us.

mindwip
November 8, 2006, 07:08 PM
its easy to understand what they want, but its hard to know if you fit in to that area. Like the marksmanship you need to buy one, its not really that clear on some of what the details are. All i did was send them an email, so it was not that hard to figure out.

It was nice to know that i already had everything i needed to buy from them with out trying.

again thanks for answering my questions

mindwip
November 9, 2006, 11:34 PM
Sent in my paper work. will post pics when they get here

Dr. Dickie
November 10, 2006, 07:42 AM
"Sent in my paper work. will post pics when they get here"
They? Good man, it takes three to make the stacking swivel work:D
Beware though, there is just something about a Garand. After owning and shooting one, everthing else is just a rifle.

mindwip
November 10, 2006, 01:54 PM
yeah i ordered 2 service and one field. One service will get a scope, and the other gets left alone. The field grade will be rebarreled in 308.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Question on buying from CMP, FFL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!