which .233/5.56x45 semi-auto should I get ?

PDA

joneb
November 8, 2006, 10:57 PM
Do to a recent change in political power , I'll be on the hunt for a reliable , accurate and modestly priced ($800 range) .223 semi-auto that will accept AR-15/ M-16 magazines.
Thanks for your help, jj

If you enjoyed reading about "which .233/5.56x45 semi-auto should I get ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
fal 4 me
November 8, 2006, 11:02 PM
Why not just get an AR. The local Gander Mountain has Bushmasters for around $850. Otherwise there is the AR-180B. AR-15 or AR-180B, those are really your two best choices, IMO.

GTSteve03
November 8, 2006, 11:56 PM
If you can give up the M16/AR-15 mags, you can get an awesome AK professionally done by many different companies for that price. An AK in 5.56 gives you all the benefits of the AK reliability and the accuracy and low recoil of the 5.56 round.

My preference would be for one of the Saiga conversions.

Loanshark
November 8, 2006, 11:58 PM
Have you considered the AK? Saiga makes an AK derivative That's "sporterized". Or made to look like a hunting rifle. I bought one in .223 and immediatly decided I had to get one in .308 as well. They can easily and legally be converted to the tradtional AK configuration if that floats your boat, and are on par accuracy wise with an AR out of the box.

I'm sure the AR could be made more accurate but if your not useing it to shoot prarie dogs at 300 yards who cares.

It would not use the AR mags but I thought I'd metion it because I beleive it to be the best bargain going for a military style semi. I paid $250 for my .223. Oh did I mention it has a chrome lined, hammer forged barrel.

Is there a reason you are stuck on the AR/ m-16 mags? Do you allready have them or ???

stdlrf11
November 9, 2006, 01:33 AM
Olympic Arms AR15. Outstanding quality, Lifetime Warranty and reasonably priced. I bought my K3B for $700.

.45 AUTO
November 9, 2006, 02:27 AM
For a good price and high quality I would probably get a DPMS Classic or an M-4 type carbine. DPMS is a little less expensive than Bushmaster or Armalite with just as high quality.

rangerruck
November 9, 2006, 02:50 AM
i second the saiga. of course a bushmaster is made and tested like no other ar made on the planet.

5x5
November 9, 2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.arsenalinc.com/images/forum/SLR-106FR.jpg

SpookyPistolero
November 9, 2006, 08:30 PM
Thought I posted something on this thread, but it dissapeared..hmm...

I really liked the SLR-106fr's that I got to handle recently. The stock locks up really solid and the fit/finish is great. If you've got the cash I think it's a great buy.

MatthewVanitas
November 10, 2006, 01:50 AM
If you go to www.eaglefirearms.net, you can get a complete Stag lower and complete RRA upper and come out around $650 for a good AR, brand new. RRA uppers as low as $409.

Mooney's Firearms has a great deal going now on complete RRA lowers for what most folks charge for Stag. $229 for complete RRA w/ 6-pos lower.

http://mooneysfirearms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=34

-MV

GTSteve03
November 10, 2006, 01:01 PM
If you go to www.eaglefirearms.net, you can get a complete Stag lower and complete RRA upper and come out around $650 for a good AR, brand new. RRA uppers as low as $409.
Is anything from RRA on that website ever in stock? Every time I've checked it seems like just about all the uppers are out.

Bartholomew Roberts
November 10, 2006, 02:14 PM
Off topic messages deleted - If you want to discuss the change in political power or why you would buy a rifle as a result, take it to L&P or PM. If you want to suggest what type of 5.56 semi-auto jibjab should buy, this is the correct thread.

joneb
November 11, 2006, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all the input, now I have some more ammuniton for the hunt :D
Any thoughts on Rockriver AR's ?

MatthewVanitas
November 11, 2006, 01:44 AM
Hit the "Search" button at the top of the forum screen, type "RRA", and there'll be more info than you can swallow in a day.

Long/short, they're up there with Bushmaster, debatably up there close to Colt. Definitely not an "off brand".

-MV

possum
November 11, 2006, 01:57 AM
Olympic Arms AR15. Outstanding quality, Lifetime Warranty and reasonably priced. I bought my K3B for $700
+1
you also asked about rra, they make fine ar's, and they make em almost any way you could want them. i have a bushmaster and tough you might not be able to get a brand new one per say, but if you look i bet you can find a good deal. in my family alone we have owned 5 bushmasters and they all have been great.

Evil Monkey
November 11, 2006, 02:29 AM
AR180B
http://www.savvysurvivor.com/armalite_ar180b.htm

Haven't shot one but I've handled one and they are really nice. If you look hard enough, you might find them at under $600.

benEzra
November 11, 2006, 10:33 AM
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/06ela4.gif
http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR1225X&storeid=1&image=06ela4.gif&CFID=19477438&CFTOKEN=38979081

Only options I'd add would be a chrome lined barrel ($40 extra) and Smith Vortex flash suppressor instead of an A2 style ($50 extra). But if you pass on those, you could get one of these for around $900.

rangerruck
November 11, 2006, 10:43 AM
bushies are the most tested ar's out there, so if i wanted a gas operated one, that would proly be it. then there is piston driven, which i would get. then there is keltec's in all their variants, and then if you want a ak type , there is Saiga, which i do have, and will never sell.

salty
November 11, 2006, 11:17 AM
Rock River, Stag or DPMS would be my choices in that order for an AR given money and quality. The Saiga's are great values in a rifle but no hi cap mags for 223 and x39's. If you have a good pisotl then I would probably advise you to get an AK in x39 first at about $440 ish and a dozen mags. The buy a Saiga in 308 $360- Hicap mags are coming on for 308 Saiga's and you can get a decent scope setup for about $300 - so you will have a long range 308 and a close range 7.62 x 39 for about 1K.

joneb
November 12, 2006, 11:32 PM
This may "The One" http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/lr-24v.asp

MatthewVanitas
November 12, 2006, 11:52 PM
http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-de...TOKEN=38979081

Only options I'd add would be a chrome lined barrel ($40 extra) and Smith Vortex flash suppressor instead of an A2 style ($50 extra). But if you pass on those, you could get one of these for around $900.

From Mooney's Firearms of Round Rock, TX, I believe you could get that rifle, with the chrome barrel, for $700 (w/o carry handle). Then can add the carry handle of your choice for less than $100; buy it off ARF, eBay, GunBroker.

There are probably even better deals out there, but that's the one I'm aware of locally.

One Austin THR member just bought a complete RRA lower w/ 6pos for $229 from Mooney (better than Eagle's price, and in stock!). I believe he has the Middy RRA A3s for $469.

-MV

If you enjoyed reading about "which .233/5.56x45 semi-auto should I get ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!