Can I get some prices on Smith scandium commanders?

PDA

bofe954
November 9, 2006, 01:37 PM
Just curious what people are seeing. I am debating picking one up. I have seen a Gunsite model at my favorite store but I am not really that interested in it's features vs. a regular PD model.

If I thought it was priced about the same I'd get it (I don't dislike the gunsite features either, I really don't care either way).

Smith's website mentions that it is dehorned to some extent. Anyone who has a regular scandium commander care to comment on whether the edges needed rounding? Any gunshop employees handled both and could comment on any advantages- I can live with a few bucks if it has some different features but I don't want to pay for a bird painted on the slide...

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I get some prices on Smith scandium commanders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1977kaw
November 9, 2006, 02:27 PM
( old style Atomic symbol markings) commander length
I have had no issues regarding sharp edges etc. I am very pleased with my gun I paid $779 in WA state :D

mdao
November 9, 2006, 04:25 PM
I picked up my Gunsite SW1911 for $770 after shipping and FFL charges. That was about $30 more than a 1911PD would have run me. The reason I picked it up over the 1911PD was that the Gunsite has a gold bead sight system (which I prefer) vs the three dot of the 1911PD. Sending the 1911PD off to Novak's for the gold bead sight would have cost much more than the price difference between the Gunsite and the 1911PD, so the Gunsite it was.

As for the rest of it, the dehorn job on the Gunsite is mild (and unnecessary). The 1911 PD doesn't snag, and won't eat up holsters. The sharp MSH checkering is a personal preference thing. I like it, but it's tougher on clothes. The Herrett's oval grips are nice, but I replaced them with a set of slim grips for concealment.

Slvr Surfr
November 10, 2006, 03:11 AM
I have a regular Sc commander, and love it. The edges are snag free. I got mine used in good condition with night sights and ambi safety for 675.00

bofe954
November 10, 2006, 08:14 AM
I'll have to check it out again. I can't remember the price but I know it was 8 something. I'd be happy with the atomic symbol one.

Does the gold sight version on the Gunsite still have the two dots on the rear sight?

mdao
November 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
Nope, it's a gold bead front and blank rear sight on the Gunsite model.

DogBonz
November 10, 2006, 02:31 PM
$700 for mine, but its wasn't a gunsite.

9mmepiphany
November 12, 2006, 02:56 AM
i've got the Sc model with the billboard on the side, because the store was closing them out...new smaller signage coming in. it was below cost...i'm thinking about $550 (cost is $580)

i haven't noticed any real sharp edges. i'm not too happy with how the rear sight fits in the cut-out...but then it isn't a real novak either. thinking about retro-fitting a heine straight-8

Ala Dan
November 12, 2006, 09:07 AM
We don't have any S&W scandium Commanders right now, but I sold
the last one that was NIB in our shop recently for $759.88 + 9% sales tax.

prolanman
November 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
I paid $825 for my 1911Sc Commander, but I live in lower NY and we usually pay higher prices. The edges on the gun are smooth and I don't think any addtional dehorning would be needed.

Gordon
November 12, 2006, 01:15 PM
I paid $700 something on my Gunsite model- I can't remember exactly. It is very accurate with a good to go trigger. The Gunsite model has a conventional guide rod, which I like. It is a smooth gun, I CCW with it and have no complaints. After yesterday I have 3000 rounds thru mine with 0 malfunctions (using Wilson Mags- I don't like the S&W ones) which is a new record for my 1911s. I have a new Wolffe recoil spring to put in it now. I like my S&W Commander:)

The Real Hawkeye
November 12, 2006, 03:03 PM
I bought mine when they first hit the market, so I paid $900. Feel like a fool when I see what they're going for now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I get some prices on Smith scandium commanders?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!