Taurus .22 question

PDA

olywa
November 9, 2006, 03:37 PM
I recently had a chance to look over a couple of Taurus 357 and 38 revolvers for the first time. All of my wheelguns are currently Rugers (DA & SA), but I was impressed enough with the Tauri to consider picking one up. Specifically, I've been wanting a .22 Snubby to throw in my pocket when I go river fishing or just walking in the woods. So I went to the Taurus web site and took a hard look at the 2" Model 94 UL in stainless. Has anyone got one of these? I can't find any locally to handle and I'd sure like to hear some personal experience before ordering one cold.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus .22 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mnrivrat
November 9, 2006, 07:09 PM
Just helped with a purchase for my aunt and she bought the 94B2UL which is the same as what you are looking at except in blued version.

I have a standard 94B4 which I cut the barrel down to 3 inches on and my aunt also has a 941B4 which is the 4 inch in .22 magnum.

I have a couple other Taurus's as well.

I like the Taurus guns and they seem to be a reasonablely priced, and serviceable guns. Their external fit and finish is very good, their internal fit could be better in some guns. My aunts 2 inch UL shoots just fine but is a little loose on the lock-up . This will vary with different guns and my 94 locks up like it was set in concrete.

The weight of the Taurus UL is more than it's S&W counterpart the Model 317, but it is not bad , and $200 cheaper.

Jim PHL
November 9, 2006, 07:18 PM
I had a model94 4" blued for a while. I was impressed with fit and finish (really nice bluing) and it was accurate and reliable and had a great single action trigger. The double action trigger was stiff and heavy. I could never get used to it and it didn't seem to improve, even after sending it back to Taurus. I ended up trading it away.
(Some time later I bought a used S+W Model 18 4" blue. I highly recommend it although if you find a used one you might still pay more for it than a new Taurus. Worth it in my opinion. With online purchase-gunbroker- shipping and local FFL it ended up costing me just under $400)

Confederate
November 9, 2006, 07:19 PM
Taurus has always made a product that is exteriorly beautiful, but they just aren't up to Ruger and Smith standards. If you recognize that from the get go, fine, but my choice would be a Smith and Wesson .22.

ronto
November 9, 2006, 07:32 PM
I have a Taurus semi-auto that I'm happy with. However, before buying one of their revolvers I suggest you read the following:

www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/no_taurus_work.html

10-Ring
November 9, 2006, 11:46 PM
My 4" 94 has been a mixed bag. Fit & finish as good at best - the rear sight moves & you shoot so every few shots, you have to readjust them; the trigger is long-ish & gritty but manageable...But, I have put 1000's of rounds through it and it was the gun I taught myself to shoot DAO. Now, when I pick up a gun w/ a nicer trigger, it's EASY :D
I still have that 94 - and still put several 1000's of rounds through it every year :D

olywa
November 10, 2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Seems like Taurus is hit-or-miss. I wish someone had a decent selection so I could do a little cherry pickin', but it's hard to find many in inventory around where I live. Guess I'll keep my eyes open at the shows. I'd like a Smith but they deserve better than a back-up role in my tackle box.

Ditchtiger
November 11, 2006, 12:07 AM
Picked up a 3" 9 shot Taurus revolver for $200. I can out shoot my friends that use .22 rifles. OK, they are not the best of shooters but this gun is scary accurate at 50 yards easy. I bought it since it was a good deal but after shooting it I wouldn't get rid of it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus .22 question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!