mosin scout mount

PDA

DeftwillP
November 9, 2006, 06:56 PM
So I just received Darrel's scout mount and it is one nice looking piece. But I ran into a problem only three steps into instructions :D

"Using the Needle Nose Pliers and Screwdriver, lift out RSL Spring."

Is the spring that flat piece of shiny metal with the star embossed on it? If so, mine is not going to freely come out as he suggests in the step before it. I can't seem to get the thing above the rest of the rear sight leaf mount so that I can pull it out with the pliers.

Can someone offer some advice here?

If you enjoyed reading about "mosin scout mount" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cosmoline
November 9, 2006, 08:19 PM
You removed the sight itself by tapping out the drift pin, right? If so you just grip the exposed end of the spring and pull it up and out, pulling towards the muzzle end.

DeftwillP
November 9, 2006, 09:00 PM
I drifted out the pin and removed the leaf. The spring itself does not want to rise above the walls of leaf holding base, it that makes sense. I can't put the needle nose pliers on it because it is still too low.

Cosmoline
November 9, 2006, 10:39 PM
If you've removed the sight the spring should rise up more than enough to grab the end of it. Can you post a picture of the problem?

What type of Mosin is this?

DeftwillP
November 9, 2006, 10:44 PM
Once I removed the rear sight leaf, the spring stayed laying down inside. I finally got it by prying it out with a screwdriver gently enough to not mar anything.

Now that I've got that mount on, I can't seem to make it pivot any. It is canted too far forward. I can't seem to press down on the back of it to make it level. It looks as if there is already metal to metal contact on the rsl base.:banghead:

DeftwillP
November 10, 2006, 11:29 PM
It's a m38. I still can't manage to cock the mount down any in the back. When I put the rings and scope on, they point much lower than the "bore-sighted" picture. I'll try to find my cheap calipers here in a little and measure the distance from the bottom of the mount to the receiver so that somebody here might be able to compare.

Cosmoline
November 11, 2006, 01:55 AM
I'd suggest posting over on Darrell's forum.

If you enjoyed reading about "mosin scout mount" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!