getting a replacement .22 handgun

PDA

whm1974
November 9, 2006, 11:59 PM
Due to my handguns getting stolen I need to replace my S&W 22A(sniff). I shoot too fast at the range and I perfer revolvers anyway so I'm going to replace it with a .22 LR DA revolver.

Three thoughts:

Taurus model 94SS 2" or 4"
Charter 2000 Patherfinder
HS Sential. I found one of these at a gunshop when I brought my S&W Model 10. I now wish I brought that instead.

Are H&R .22 revolvers any good? I did see one when I picked my Rossi 357 last week. Only $129 but w/ a 6" barrel. I perfer a 2" or 4".

I don't know when I'll buy but any other make that I should keep an eye out for?

-Bill

If you enjoyed reading about "getting a replacement .22 handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dienekes
November 10, 2006, 12:09 AM
S&W. The cost, even for a nice used one, will be substantially more than the guns you mention but the satisfaction will be great and last a lifetime.

There are various permutations on the J frame, the 617 series, and best of all to me, the K-22 (Model 17) and the Model 18.

It just doesn't get any better.

The Real Wyatt
November 10, 2006, 12:14 AM
Get the 4" Taurus.
A no brainer.
A really fine gun at a moderate cost.
How could you go wrong?

whm1974
November 10, 2006, 12:34 AM
It just doesn't get any better.

The 317 last time I've seen one at the gunshop wasn't too bad but the first gunshop I went to after I got my FOID card two years wanted $500 for a 10 shot S&W .22(4" or 6" barrel). His used stuff wasn't that bad, the HS was only $189.

How could you go wrong?

I have read online that some of them bind after only 50 rnds, I shoot a whole box of 500 when I shooting! I also read some bad thing about the patherfinder and S&W as well.

-Bill

borrowedtime69
November 10, 2006, 01:35 AM
you might want to look into another Taurus along with the 94. I bought a blued older model 94 for my wife. i actually really like to shoot it too, nice little gun, but the grip is too small for my hand.

The other Taurus you should check out is the 970 Tracker .22 LR.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/440918.JPG

ive had mine for almost a year now. the trigger had to be pulled a few hundredtimes to smooth it out. i keep my thumb on the hammer to soften the stikes. im shooting CCI Velocitors in it with great effect. its a big solid gun that i think will out last me. -Eric

whm1974
November 10, 2006, 01:57 AM
I really don't like long barrels.

-Bill

moewadle
November 10, 2006, 02:23 AM
as they made simple "work horse" guns that had no frills and no fancy extras. I think you would have pretty good quality 22 if you bought an H & R from the 70s or when ever.

whm1974
November 10, 2006, 02:27 AM
thanks I'll keep that in mind

-Bill

ronto
November 10, 2006, 06:01 PM
Before buying a Taurus revolver I suggest you read the following by a well-known gunsmith that specializes in revolvers:

www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/no_taurus_work.html

ugaarguy
November 10, 2006, 06:39 PM
Whm, The old S&W 22 revolvers are well worth the money. If you don't like longer bbls, the K-22 Combat Masterpiece (Pre '57)/Model 18 (Post '57) would be good. They have the target type adjustable rear sight with a Baughmann ramp style front site, and generally had 4" bbls. They're more expensive than a new Taurus, less expensive than a new S&W, and will blow either away in craftsmanship, fit, and finish, and they have the sweetest DA triggers. They're just great revolvers.

orionengnr
November 10, 2006, 07:34 PM
+1 on the S&W M-18.
I bought one about six months ago.

Not all that hard to find; in nice shape expect to pay $400. I've seen some rattier ones for $300-325, but the nice ones will appreciate, something I doubt a new S&W or any Taurus will ever do. :neener:

whm1974
November 11, 2006, 12:55 AM
Before buying a Taurus revolver I suggest you read the following by a well-known gunsmith that specializes in revolvers:

I doupt I will ever get custom work on any gun I will own. I don't plan on owing a gun expenisve enough to be worth customizing(DIY aside).

Whm, The old S&W 22 revolvers are well worth the money.

They may be, however I don't have the kind of money to buy a masterpiece like this.

+1 on the S&W M-18.
I bought one about six months ago.

Not all that hard to find; in nice shape expect to pay $400. I've seen some rattier ones for $300-325, but the nice ones will appreciate, something I doubt a new S&W or any Taurus will ever do.

last time I've seen an S&W M-17/M-22 was in a pawnshop some years go. The guy wanted more then $400 for it. And half the finish was worn off as well.

I don't have $500+ to spend on the best .22 revolver in the world. So I have to settle for good enough.

-Bill

whm1974
November 11, 2006, 01:58 AM
I did some checking around and ran across Heritage Manufacturing Rough Rider single action revolvers. Now I would very much perfer a DA .22 but they are $300 or much more. The only cheap used ones I see are from companys now out of business or no longer making them.

The only reason I'm even looking at these is due to the low price, ~$200 or less. I havenever fired SA revolver before so what is it like?

-Bill

ronto
November 11, 2006, 10:53 AM
Even if you're not doing "custom work", what Cunningham is talking about is the "quality" of Taurus revolvers.
Just trying to be of help... LOL and I hope you find what you're looking for.

SJshooter
November 11, 2006, 12:36 PM
Buy a Smith. The 617 is a fantastic K-frame shooter and the 317 isnt bad for fun plinking from a small gun. The way .22 revolvers gum up, I wouldn't want one of those other brands.

ugaarguy
November 11, 2006, 01:21 PM
last time I've seen an S&W M-17/M-22 was in a pawnshop some years go. The guy wanted more then $400 for it. And half the finish was worn off as well.

I don't have $500+ to spend on the best .22 revolver in the world. So I have to settle for good enough.

Whm, where are you located? I brought up the K-22 because I bought mine for not much more money than a new Taurus. Finish is excellent, save a slight blemish on the right side belw the cylinder, and it has typical wear on the muzzle and other sharp edges as you would expect on 50 year old gun. I went to a large shop in Boise, Id. that keeps a very good stockof S&W revolvers on hand. My 5 screw K-22 was just over $400, a new Tarus 94 was a little over $300, and a new S&W 617 was in the higher end of the $500 range. A 4 screw M-17 or M-18 should be less than a K-22. I've also observed that pawn shop prices vary widely. One I went into wanted "no less than" $500 for 2 & 1/2" bbl S&W M10, a pistol that would run in the mid $200s at the local gun shops. Pawn shops can vary widely. All that to say I wasn't trying to be a S&W snob, I was hoping to help you find a very nice pistol for only a little more coin. If the S&Ws still interest you Mark at www.summitgunbroker.com has been well spoken of here on THR for helping folks find wanted guns at good prices.

If you're also interested in a SA revolver the Ruger Single Six is very well made and quite fun to shoot. They run in the low $300s new, and even less used.

Hopefully all this helps, and please let us know if we can do more for you.

Confederate
November 11, 2006, 01:51 PM
Smith Model 617, 17 or 18. You won't regret it. (The 617 comes with a 10-shot cylinder.)

22-rimfire
November 11, 2006, 03:00 PM
From your list, the answer is easy; buy a Taurus. Just because a revolver is a 22 does not mean it is supposed to be cheap. You might keep your eyes open for a Ruger SP101 in 22. The other revolvers you listed are about worth what you pay for them. They shoot.

whm1974
November 11, 2006, 10:43 PM
If you're also interested in a SA revolver the Ruger Single Six is very well made and quite fun to shoot. They run in the low $300s new, and even less used.

I'm not really interested in a SA revolver. The only reason I'm even looking at the rough rider is because it's cheap.

The gunshop I go to had a 317 for $312 last year. And I would perfer a S&W to a taurus. but...

-Bill

whm1974
November 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
Thinking, I could get the Rough Rider by the end of the month, I do have the money for it, or I could cut expensives(inculding not eating) and try to get a M-18 or K-22 if I ever find one...

I could could get the taurus or S&W 317 but it would be next year sometime.

-Bill

22-rimfire
November 13, 2006, 12:08 AM
It might be worth the wait to get a better quality lifetime investment 22 revolver.

whm1974
November 13, 2006, 12:12 AM
It might be worth the wait to get a better quality lifetime investment 22 revolver.

I was always told to get what you really want. I would be happyer in the long run.

I really want that Taurus 94....

-Bill

TonyT
November 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
Try the new S&W 617 or get one of the older K-22's (or Model 63's if you refer the smaller frame).

highlander 5
November 13, 2006, 12:51 PM
I have an older 617 6 shot 6' barrel love it to death.
Best shot to date picked off a 12 gauge shotgun shell at 25 yards off a sleeping bag:what: ,put the pistol back in the case and quit while I was ahead.

whm1974
November 14, 2006, 06:18 PM
I have an older 617 6 shot 6' barrel love it to death.

I have a dislike for long barrels.

-Bill

karlsgunbunker
November 14, 2006, 11:39 PM
I reccomend the Heritage revolvers. I bought 2 to teach my boys to shoot about $120 with 2 cylinders .22/.22 mag.

elasee
November 15, 2006, 08:26 AM
I just purchased a Taurus 94 last week. A blue 2" model. I'm very pleased with the one I got. Fit, finish, and accuracy all very good. The sights are excellent, even though they aren't used. I use this revolver for point shooting practice instead of my model 85.

If you enjoyed reading about "getting a replacement .22 handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!