Need help finding pistol for girlfriend

PDA

redneckdan
November 10, 2006, 12:21 AM
Jen finally found a pistol she liked. We had tried my k-frame smith with target grips, my 1911, a glock 17, and an H&K (anyone else see the connection?). She didn't like any of them. Then the DOH! hit me. All thee above have huge grips. Another RO had his beretta cougar 8000 and it was a perfect fit. Only snag is they are no longer made. Can anyone suggest pistols with similar grips that we could try? thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help finding pistol for girlfriend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
daysleeprx
November 10, 2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=221957&highlight=small+grips

whm1974
November 10, 2006, 01:14 AM
Try putting rubber grips on your K frame. She might like it then.

-Bill

MatthewVanitas
November 10, 2006, 02:05 AM
Why not just buy a Cougar?

If your girlfriend likes it more than any other gun, I advise you get one!

"No longer in production" doesn't mean a lot. There are still tons of them, used and NIB, floating around the used market.

A cursory glance at Gunbroker shows that you can probably get one in the mid-$300s if you keep your eye open for a couple weeks. Or post in the THR classifieds, or the classified at BerettaForum. Might want to mention in the Title that it's for your girlfriend, maybe that'll get you a better deal.

If you're flexible on type, the Cougar came in quite a few variants, both in the 8000 series and 9000 series. Probably can read up on it here on THR.

After all the complaining from other guys about how it's hard to find a gun that the girlfriend likes, I'd say you're quite lucky that she found a good one.

-MV

jlh26oo
November 10, 2006, 02:18 AM
How dare you. How dare you.

<takes cover> :uhoh:

Waywatcher
November 10, 2006, 02:24 AM
My wife loved my XD-9 when I had it. (She's 5' even and small handed) I will buy a new one as soon as they start selling parts for it again.

She doesn't care for my Glock 19 though for what its worth.

You could also try a mil-spec 1911 with the short trigger and arched MSH, my wife likes it.

Slvr Surfr
November 10, 2006, 03:01 AM
I just went through this experiance my self. I took my girl to the range and let her shoot glocks, Xds, and my ruger GP100 w/.38s. Of all she enjoyed the ruger most. She could handle the recoil easily, and it was simple. The next gun I had her try was the Ruger SP 101. She loved it. I ended up getting her a NIB w/ 3" barrel. Its perfect for her since its not too small/big a grip. The gun takes moderate .357 loads quite nicely also. I firmly believe she could operate the semi autos, but racking the slide was not easy for her to do. The revolver seemed to be the most logical.

makarovnik
November 10, 2006, 03:03 AM
Of all the guns you mentioned the 1911 should be the best fit for a small hand. (Assuming single stack). My wife can barely reach the double action trigger on a J-frame but she has no problem holding a 1911A1. Try a Kahr 9mm or a Kel-Tec .32 or .380. I wouldn't totally rule out a Beretta Bobcat or Tomcat either. I wouldn't want to be shot by a Beretta loaded with Stingers.

redneckdan
November 10, 2006, 09:23 AM
i have a milspec stainless. Jen said the gun just felt to massive, like she couldn't get a good grip on it. I'll ask one of the other officers to bring his XD next week and have Jen try that.

Nickodemus
November 10, 2006, 09:29 AM
My advice is to get her a full size, a lot easier to use for a beginning shooter because the longer sight radius and lighter recoil. Then go to a shop or range and have her feel the grip of many pistols until she likes one and it feels solid in her hands. Then I would come back here and ask if her choice is a good reliable model of pistol.

heritagesb
November 10, 2006, 12:46 PM
I guess I'm not clear here....the Cougar is still in production and you can buy it NIB. Beretta simply transferred it to their Stoeger subsidiary who now produces the gun and sells it as their own. It is readily available.

B yond
November 10, 2006, 12:55 PM
The grip has been thinned and contoured so much that its almost too small for my hands, but perfect for my wife. It also has some kind of recoil management mechanism (camblock?) that helps reduce felt recoil. It's fairly accurate, and best of all, its a .45.

hkusp
November 10, 2006, 04:30 PM
The new Springer EMP has one small and comfy grip. But $1,000 shelf price.

Anna's Dad
November 10, 2006, 06:42 PM
Check out the Ruger P345

It seems counterintuitive given the reputation of .45s and, in particular, Rugers (big and bulky) but my wife (who is 4'11" with hands like a smurf) enjoys my Ruger P345 more than any of my other guns. It is, in fact, our primary home defense gun because she feels she can handle it better than anything else I have.

redneckdan
December 18, 2006, 07:49 AM
sorry to resurect the dead but I have more info. I found a set of standard smith and wesson grips for my k-frame, jen said these felt comfortable and shot some impressive groups with them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help finding pistol for girlfriend" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!