Another S&W J Frame Question (grips)


November 10, 2006, 01:03 AM
Has anyone replaced the boot grips on their J-Frame snub nose with something larger. I'm speaking of something like the Pachmayr 'gripper' grips, or maybe Butler Creek grips of a similar size.
It's probably just me, but the felt recoil from a snub nose with little boot grips is more than I care to handle. I also realize that putting larger grips on such a small revolver does away with a certain amount of concealability, but if it made the weapon more pleasant to shoot, I would think practice sessions would be a little more productive.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another S&W J Frame Question (grips)" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
November 10, 2006, 01:30 AM
I did replace the wood grip on my 36 with paymeyer rubber grips that have a large grip area. It did make a big diffence. Even shooting light load with the wood grips hurt.


November 10, 2006, 11:51 AM
Yes, I replace the grips on both of mine - I found a deal on ebay 4 used J frame grips for $5 I used a Pachmeyer looks like the decelerator and the other is the small one with the finger groves...much improvement on handling follow-up shots.

November 10, 2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I did. Thought it was cool at first. I've since switched back to the factory wood with a Tyler-T grip adapter. Much more concealable not very much less controlable.

Don Worsham
November 10, 2006, 08:19 PM
I put this Hogue grip on my S&W model 642.

It hides well in the front pocket of a standard pair of jeans. However, when you put your hand in the space fills up and the draw (for me) is difficult. I now wear Sportsman Guide brand carpenter jeans which have larger front pockets. Plenty of room to keep your hand on the gun and no problem quickly drawing it out.

November 11, 2006, 12:45 AM
Those Hogues are the best kept secret going. I LOVE em. Work great, and 22 dollars???


November 11, 2006, 08:42 AM
I put the hogues on my magnum J frame,it
made it real easy to shoot even with full
power 357's.

November 11, 2006, 11:22 AM
These....not so easy with .357, but boy do they look good. :D Ahrends Cocobolo.

November 11, 2006, 01:17 PM
Personally, I cannot stand rubber grips on small frame revolvers. For me they tend to "grab" cover garments, making concealablilty an issue. Additionally the extra bulk makes the weapon harder to draw. For a shooting they are wonderfull, for carrying, not so much IMHO.

November 11, 2006, 06:24 PM
For those who don't want rubber, CDNN offers a J Frame "Compact Gripper" checkered walnut stock with finger grooves that can be used with square or round butt guns. It is their catalog no. SIL711C, $9.99, made in Italy. I bought one of these and installed it on my S&W model 63, which is .22 caliber. I have no idea how you would like it for firing higher power rounds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Another S&W J Frame Question (grips)" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!