45 Auto Barrel

PDA

firefighter6526
November 10, 2006, 01:24 AM
Hey fellas,

Is there any possibility of a Colt 3.5" .45 auto barrel working in a Springfield ultra compact?? I have found one but it has a barrel bushing. My auto does not have a bushing.

The accuracy of my pistol is incredibly bad. At 15 yds it jumps all over the place ranging from pretty close to about 2-1/2 feet off target, usually low left but it floats around a bit.

Is there anything I can do to help with the accuracy like trying a different barrel?? I have searched the web for a barrel but I can't find a new one for the Ultra-Compact...any suggestions on where to find one...and also, what is a decent price range???

Thanks in advance,

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Auto Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
November 10, 2006, 01:30 AM
Contact SA Inc. http://www.springfield-armory.com/sitefeat-contactus.shtml

bubba_zenetti
November 10, 2006, 03:14 AM
dont take this in an insultuing way but shooting low to the left is often a sign jerking the trigger or sqeezing your entire hand while squeezing the trigger. guns with accuracy problems will still shoot center groups although they will be larger than a pistol that is more accurate.

almost every gun out there will outshoot its operator. accuracy when shot off hand is solely the function of the operator and not the pistol.

focus on sight alignment and trigger pull and you will be surprised how good a totally crappy pistol can shoot.

also you must realize that a 3.5 inch barrel pistol is not going to be very accurate to begin with. they are much designed for a personal defense situation where a 3-4" group at 25 yards shot from a rest is perfectly acceptable. in the range that most people use a pistol in a personal defense situation (7 yards or less) it will be more than accurate enough if the operator is doing his/her job at placing the shot.

just my .02 cents

firefighter6526
November 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
Thanks sunray, I may end up contacting them if I can't find something suitable.

Bubba, no offense taken. The reason I'm concerned about the round placement is that I am a decent shooter...not an expert by any means... but I can knock the plates down at 25yds fairly efficiently with other pistols.
While I don't expect a 3.5" barrel to be dead on, I do expect it to place the round consistantly closer than 2-1/2' at 15yds, my shotguns pattern better than that,lol. I want to be able to trust that if I am ever in the situation where I must take a shot in self defense, that the round will strike the "intended victim" and not go sailing down range.
While shooting this pistol I payed close attention to my grip and braced against the table and a post for a more steady shot. I have no doubt that some of the scattered shots are of my own doing, lol, but the gun seems to place rounds consistantly off target at short range.

I will definately work on my grip and trigger pull at my next session but I really don't think it will help very much.

Are there any other ideas tuning and such, short of changing the barrel, that may help correct some of this guns inaccuracy???

Also, the original question stands...will the Colt barrel operate in a SA??

Thanks for the response fella's.

bubba_zenetti
November 11, 2006, 02:49 AM
try giving that pistol a real good cleaning. any leading or fouling buildup can cause sloppy grouping. a good barrel can give better accuracy if it is properly fitted.

before you go on to replacing parts. shoot that pistol off a sand bag at 15 yards. if it groups better than shooting off hand then you know what the problem is.

as far as a carry gun goes. i would leave it 100% bone stock. any modifications to the pistol can leave you wide open for legal problems should the need arise that you have to use the pistol. one could argue that you modified your pistol to make it a more effective killing machine.

if you feel your pistol is inaccurate, i would suggest finding a pistol for carry that you can shoot well that is accurate to begin with.

one other thing to look at is your sights. if the rear sight is dovetailed in, you may be able to knock it around with a punch until you get at least center shot placment. do not sight a pistol in off a rest. sight in as if you were holding it in your hand.

i shoot a lot of issf/usas and nra bullseye events. all .22 caliber. we sight in our pistols off hand. one thing that remains a fact is consistancy counts. accuracy is all about being consistant. if you change the way you hold your pistol then every shot will land in a different spot no mater how you have your sights adjusted. that is why match pistols used in olympic style events are sporting anotomical grips. this allows you to hold the pistol the same way every time and in turn it allows you to keep the same sight adjustemts all the time.

accuracy all starts with the operator. rule that out before plunking down on expensive parts.

good luck! =)

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Auto Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!