New Wizzard?

PDA

Recon By Fire
May 20, 2003, 04:20 AM
Ok, Now that good old Charlie is no longer the head of the NRA, who is going to take is place? We all know that Wayne LaPierre is the man behind the curtin, but who is going to be the new wizzard?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Wizzard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim March
May 20, 2003, 04:56 AM
For the moment, it's Kayne Robinson. I hope I've spelled that right. I think he's a one-year placeholder; he's an OK guy but with little public recognition outside of political insiders.

His past (deep) involvement in the Republican party will be a no-go for an election year but won't do much damage this year. My guess: they're planning on rolling out a "heavy hitter" next spring who will come as a surprise to the media, it'll be fairly big news, and that in turn will help deliver momentum through the campaign season. The original plan was probably to have Heston do the "handoff" in '04 but, his health failed too soon :(.

If I'm right, they'll put a LOT of hoopla in the new spring of '04 Prez, do as big a media push as possible. Who will it be? I'd guess either Tom Selleck or wazzizname, the black basketball player. Both were featured in huge hanging "I'm the NRA" ads at the 2002 Reno yearly meeting, along with Heston. Dangit, what's his name? I don't follow that game. Anyways, somebody will chime in soon :). I do recall that he's known as a level-headed guy, and might prove an inspired choice with a younger crowd and urban minorities which sure as heck wouldn't hurt any.

Dave Markowitz
May 20, 2003, 08:18 AM
or wazzizname, the black basketball player

Kareem Abdul Jabbar?

Wouldn't that get the libs' panties in a knot? Hard to call us a bunch of racist rednecks when the NRA prez is a black muslim! (Of course, they'll still call us racist rednecks. :rolleyes: )

Monte Harrison
May 20, 2003, 08:51 AM
Karl Malone? Is he even interested in the job?

general
May 20, 2003, 11:20 AM
in the future...?
LtCol. Ollie North?

Correia
May 20, 2003, 11:24 AM
I like Karl Malone, but he doesn't strike me as being a very good choice. Have you ever heard the man speak in person? :) He is a great guy from what I understand, but he is no Charlton Heston when it comes to public speaking.

Hot brass
May 20, 2003, 11:35 AM
Tom Sellick????????

D.W. Drang
May 20, 2003, 12:20 PM
Tom Selleck just wants to make movies. He's a Good Guy, on our side and all that, but he does not want to get into politics. Maybe later on, in a few decades when he's such an icon that getting into politics won't cause him not to get the roles...

How about Cybil Shepard? :evil: I guess Sarah Michelle Gellar is too young. I don't know that either of them are actually On Our Side, but Cybil owns guns, and Sarah has made statements in magazine interviews that sound like she might be. Lordy, can you imagine the comments? "From Moses to Buffy!"

Who's the black comedian who is into Cowboy Shooting? Sinbad?

blades67
May 20, 2003, 12:54 PM
I guess we'll just have to wait and see.:scrutiny:

Jim March
May 20, 2003, 04:01 PM
KARL MALONE, that's who I was thinking of. And no, I haven't heard him speak but...hey, anybody can learn! Heh...with enough practice, I've gotten halfway decent at it and if *I* can do it, so can Karl. Other than that, there's a LOT of positives having a black sports figure in the slot.

Ollie? Oh HELL no. Please GOD no. Too "polarizing". Nice guy and all, but...<shudder>...

We have to reach out to the Dems and "slightly sheeple-ish".

Tom Selleck is another strong possible. We might have to drag him into it kicking and screaming :). But then again, one school of thought says that's actually a qualification for leadership :D.

Sarah Michell Geller: too young. Needs about 10 more years.

Drew Carey: wildcard, but in my opinion the best choice. Razor-sharp wit, Marine, well-known, lots of "youth appeal".

Anyways. Point is, one of these or similar will be a "big surprise" in the spring of '04 and will lead a push to the polls in November.

seeker_two
May 20, 2003, 04:12 PM
Karl Malone. I was going to guess David Robinson...

I'd like to see a woman president this time around. Someone like Louise Mandrell or Susan Haywood would be a great choice.

But then, I'd want to put Ted Nugent in charge of the ILA branch...:evil:

cordex
May 20, 2003, 04:17 PM
I'd like to see a woman president this time around.
Paging Tamara ... Paging Ms. Tamara.
What've you got planned for the next few years?

Peetmoss
May 20, 2003, 06:10 PM
This really ticks me off. Everyone has a hissy fit when a famous person speakes out against our common beliefs. Then when it's time to pick a new president of our most visable "friend" all these famous names come up. Whats the deal here folks? You guys can't have your cake and eat it too.

I want the NRA president to be a working man, that is taking time off from his normal career to do what he thinks is improtant. I want the same thing of all my represenitives in the goverment. None of these celebs give one rats ??? about joe schome the truck driver or the garbage man. We are all mear peseants to them. GET A CLUE PEOPLE.

Jim March
May 20, 2003, 06:22 PM
Peetmoss, I couldn't disagree more.

Heston proved the concept: the media won't cover an appearance by "The NRA President". They WILL cover an appearance by Heston, Selleck, Mandrell, Haywood (good choices!) or similar.

Heston held huge rallied in five key states, attracting arena-fulls of union member gun owners and probably put Dubya in the white house for that reason.

A "working man" couldn't have done that.

Drizzt
May 20, 2003, 06:26 PM
Are you sure you're not talking about Charles Barkley?

Correia
May 20, 2003, 06:26 PM
Jim is 100% right. Like it or not, celebrity figure heads get more attention.

pytron
May 20, 2003, 06:30 PM
Drew Carey would be awesome. I'm a "youth" (mid 20s) so I guess that fits.

I agree that it would be best to have someone famous. After all, what are we going to do for bumper stickers that say "Charlton Heston is my president"? "Kayne Robinson is my president" just doesn't have the same ring to it, you know.

-Pytron

Jim March
May 20, 2003, 11:10 PM
No, "Sir Charles" doesn't have a whole lotta rep as level-headed.

Karl Malone does.

It was Karl's poster that was about 30ft tall, one of a set of three that included Selleck and Heston at the Reno NRA convention of 2002. Which is one of the reasons I think he might be a candidate.

The NUGE would be great! :D Not an easy guy to control though :p. But seriously, one real positive with Ted is that he's well-respected by both the "hunting" and "self defense" factions of the NRA membership...and there's not a whole lotta people who can say that.

He'd probably be considered too radical by the conservative faction in Fairfax though. Ditto Drew Carey.

It's probably Selleck's if he'll take it, I'd say Karl Malone would be the #2 pick.

See...there's a variety of "infiltrators" back in NRA HQ. One group wants to turn it into an adjunt of the GOP, which is long-term very dangerous. Another wants to get it wrapped up in the "Christian Conservative/Moral Majority" movement (or what's left of it). It was that latter bunch that wanted the California NRA grassroots guys to back Dan Lungren for Governor against Davis. Lungren is Catholic and they were hoping he'd go wildly "pro-life", but the problem was Lungren was really much closer to "Fascist" than anything, was wildly anti-gun, and the California guys rebelled.

Now, the good news is the idiots that want to lead the NRA into the "Moral Majority" direction have faded from view. Thank God, pardon the pun. But the "National Republican Association" advocates still have a quiet voice and they can be almost as bad at times on "conservative social issues". That sort won't back a wildman like Ted or Drew.

Sigh.

Anyways. I did a google search for:

"Karl Malone" NRA

...and got a lot of very interesting material.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/04/02/malone.governor/ - he's been considering politics? A year as NRA Prez would give him some recognition in an arena that doesn't involve hardwood floors and guys in stripes :).

http://archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1998/040198/Jazz980401.html - ehhhhh...ooops :eek:. If true, not good!

Monte Harrison
May 21, 2003, 10:06 AM
Utah Jazz star forward Karl Malone, known to fans as "the Mailman," is considering running for governor of Arkansas once he retires from professional basketball, his agent told CNN Tuesday. Hey, why the hell not! If Minnesota can have a former pro rassler, why can't we have a roundballer? Not a bad following act for Huckaby.

Russ
May 21, 2003, 10:21 AM
Plunk down your $35 bucks to join the NRA and the American Rifleman Magazine talks all about Kayne Robinson in the last issue. He seems like a good man.

If the NRA wants to get only celebrities to be president then they will have a tough time. Most people in entertainment son't want to piss off a good portion of the public that happens to be anti NRA. How does the mainstream media portray us? NRA, the right wing extremist group!

Heston had his career, made a fortune, won a couple of Oscars and was ready for retirement.

Selleck, Carey and those relatively young actors and sports figures still have many years ahead of them and no point in pissing off the public too bad. Look at those idiots Sean Penn and Tim Robbins and their big mouths about Iraq. I won't pay to see anything they do again. Sean Penn sucked anyway but Robbins has made some good films.

If NRA can get a famous person near the end of their career, they will have another Heston.

CMcDermott
May 21, 2003, 10:37 AM
The timing is bad for Karl Malone. He wants to play two more years to break Kareem's career scoring record. Jabbar would be good, but as he just got a college coaching job I don't think he'll have the time.

I don't know if a comedian would be taken seriously, which would be a problem for Sinbad or Drew Carey. Not an unsurmountable problem, but either would have to put in a lot of work on the issues the first year to gain the respect they need to do the job successfully.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Wizzard?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!