Snap Caps

PDA

wvhunter
November 10, 2006, 10:43 AM
I am still relatively new to firing my 30.06 and still getting used to the recoil issue and trigger pull. I can get about 3 inch groupings at 100 yards with a few that hit out of that circle. I think I do ok during the first 6-10 shots then I start getting recoil shy and get jerky with the trigger. I generally tend to place a pad against my arm after a few shots on the range to help out. I was wondering if practicing trigger pull with snap caps would be a good idea. Would this harm the firing pin at all after repeated use?

If you enjoyed reading about "Snap Caps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave Rishar
November 10, 2006, 03:18 PM
Dry firing with Snap Caps isn't any more harmful than running ammunition through it.

Without starting the infamous dry firing = damage debate, the vast majority of firearms can be dry fired with nothing in the chamber without hurting anything. Consult your owner's manual for more information; if it says that dry firing is fine, skip the Snap Caps and spend the money on more ammunition instead.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that dry firing is an effective and inexpensive method for maintaining and even improving marksmanship if you can reliably call your shots and you're honest with yourself.

wvhunter
November 10, 2006, 05:12 PM
I have a tikka t3 30.06. I went to the their website and read the manual, but there is no mention of dry firing. Does anyone with a tikka suggest it?

Koobuh
November 10, 2006, 06:12 PM
The whole point of snap caps is to protect the firing pin/other action parts from damage while dry firing. ;)
Even if the manual says dry-firing is OK, I'd still use snap caps. The nicest cost... what, $8 for two off of Midway? How much does gunsmithing work/parts cost nowadays?
I look at it as cheap insurance.

Also, you can work on your flinch problem through the ball-and-dummy drill. Get a friend to come with you to the range (you should do this anyway) and have them load your rifle for you. They should alternate a live round with a snap cap somewhat randomly, simply so you don't know whether the rifle will go off. This not only helps diagnose flinching, it provides an opportunity to train your body to calm down before resuming live fire.
If you start flinching badly, your friend should immediately switch you to a snap cap, for at least one more shot, and continue until your flinch dies down.

The goal is to be as steady as a rock, no matter what, whether there's a snap cap or a live round in the chamber.

You also may have the butt in the wrong part of your shoulder. Try moving it into the meat of your chest rather than directly over the joint or on your clavicle.
That, and just keep shooting. Buy some cheap ammo and blast away for a couple sessions, without too long of a dry spell between them. You'll eventually become immune to the kick.
You may also benefit from doubling up your ear protection- plugs and muffs.

yongxingfreesty
November 10, 2006, 06:15 PM
koobuh^^ im gonna have to try that. same problem for me.

wvhunter
November 10, 2006, 06:21 PM
thanks for the advice, i think ill give old midway a call tonight. i have no problem spending a few bucks on some dummy shells if it means avoiding some big problems later. i just hate waiting, i hope they ship fast...

As a side note, do you recommend use of a pad during range shooting or should i try to tough it out to get used to the kick? After about 8 rounds my I can start to feel those shells, do I need to get that tolerance up?

The Deer Hunter
November 10, 2006, 07:00 PM
Just get snap caps anyways

boilingleadbath
November 10, 2006, 07:17 PM
I've got a rifle in 6.5mm rem. mag. - and midway doesn't seem to stock that size of snap caps.
Could I just machine a brass (or aluminum) "button" and stick it in the primer pocket of an empty case?

If you enjoyed reading about "Snap Caps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!