Help please...Colt Police Positive grips


November 11, 2006, 08:52 PM
I just picked up a Colt Police Positive today. It currently has the UGLIEST white plastic grips I've ever seen! :barf: Not to mention that they are about 1/4" too short (where the top meets the frame... bottom fits fine).

It's a little worn but the price was right.

I'd like to start looking for the correct grips but I'm not sure what they should look like. Serial number is 376,594. I think the DOB should be about 1937 ??
I'm not sure if they should be the old black plastic COLT grips or the wooden ones.

I believe the gun takes the shorter Colt .38 round (.38 SW). The cylinder length is 1 1/4". Is this a D frame?

As soon as I can get it cleaned up and wearing the proper grips, I'll post a pic. I'd like to find some grips that have a little wear and match the finish on the gun.

The backstrap is marked Ry. Ex. Agy. which I believe is the old Railway Express Agency (Company?).

Thanks for the help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help please...Colt Police Positive grips" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
November 11, 2006, 09:13 PM
Very cool. Can you post pics? That will help with any and all questions you might have.

If you decide to upgrade the grip with a Tyler T-Grip (run a THR search if unfamiliar w/ this accessory), Colt D-frame models often come up for $5 on eBay, if you watch for a couple weeks.


November 11, 2006, 09:26 PM
A 1937 should have checkered walnut with a Silver Colt medallion.

Be careful when shopping, because these early guns had a full length grip frame.
Guns made after 1965 have a short grip frame and the grips overlap on the bottom.

November 11, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hey Thanks!

I don't think it'll help to post pics since the gun doesn't have the correct grips.

I did some searching and found 2 types of grips for the Police Positive:

1) Police Positive Wide Square Butt
2) Police Positive Round Butt (also fits Banker, Cobra, & Colt Det. Spec.)

I don't see any mention of "full length grips".... :confused:

The bottom of the frame is square, so I know I need square butt grips.

November 12, 2006, 02:15 AM
What dwheel was saying is the early guns had a longer grip frame from those made after 1965. There are 2 different size stocks for the D-frames. The early long stocks can be a little harder to find.

November 12, 2006, 02:55 PM
Brownell's has Vintage Grips which are hard, back rubber reproductions of the original grips. Here is the link:

November 12, 2006, 03:01 PM
Vintage Grips Inc ( is another grip reproduction source. Here is a Police Positive with some of their grips. A little fitting, and a little weathering with some steel wool and voila!

Lets see a pic of that shooter digi!

November 12, 2006, 08:52 PM
Here's a picture of the difference between the post-1965 grips frame, and the older long butt frame.

Note that this is a rounded butt as used on the Detective Special. Your Police Positive Special will be the same length only the bottom will not be rounded off.

Here's a picture of the correct walnut grips. NOTE: The medallions should be Silver for a 30's model:

Here's a picture of the overlapping grips as used on the later short frame models.
Note how the grip overlap on the bottom. These will NOT fit your gun.

November 12, 2006, 09:17 PM

Thanks so much! I was going to post a question asking what they looked like. You beat me to it! Thanks for the pics.

The proper grips have a definite look to them. I'll make a couple of calls tomorrow and see if I can find some.

If not, there's a gun show coming up in two weeks.... it'll give me something to look for.

The gun is soaking in some kerosene right now... I wanted to clean it out a little. I will post some pics when I get the new grips.

November 12, 2006, 09:18 PM

Good looking Police Positive! That's next on my list..

If you enjoyed reading about "Help please...Colt Police Positive grips" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!