Is Pelican case Pick 'N' Pluck foam any good?

PDA

MarshallDodge
November 11, 2006, 09:47 PM
I need to redo the foam in one of my Pelican cases and I was wondering if their Pick 'N' Pluck foam is any good?
http://www.pelicanproducts.us/cataspx16.html

Does it hold up to pulling items like guns or mags in and out or does it tend to fall apart?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Pelican case Pick 'N' Pluck foam any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DouglasW
November 11, 2006, 09:53 PM
My pelican case with pick-and-pluck foam served me well for a couple of years while travelling with handguns...but then I decided to simplify and just carry a j-frame in one of these (http://www.center-of-mass.com/) when I fly. Much less bulky and lighter than my pelican case.

To answer your question, my pick-and-pluck foam held up well to repeated use.

raz-0
November 11, 2006, 11:59 PM
The pick and pluck is pretty solid as long as you pick and pluck right.

The biggest thing to watch out for is if you want to do anything that doesn't involve plucking a whole "french-fry" of foam top to bottom. lets say you wanted to make a gun shape, but only to 50% depth. If you pluck out the gun shape, piece by piece, you are screwed. If you pluck the gun shape as one big piece and cut it in half, it'll work, but be annoying. If you pluck a couple french-fries out and go in with a razor blade to slice the fries at the halfway mark before plucking, then make a second pass to smooth it out, it will work well for a good long time.

Alternately, you can lossen up the top half of the fry than twist and tear, and go back with a razor blade and clean up after the shape is made.

Also, don't expect one or two "fry" thick walls to do mcuh good organizing stuff unless the hollow is shallow. Pretty much like they show in the picture. 3-4 wiode walls for deep holes, 1-2 for shallow holes.

DragonRider
November 15, 2006, 10:26 PM
What I do is pick and pluck as needed, I keep it as a fairly large cut out so I can cut it in half to make the 50% depth if needed. I also will use the cleaning cloth to help buffer the gun and raise it in the case if needed.

Also save the sections you dont use. I have a general shape for my handgun case. And I add foam as needed for the particular gun. Also a box of ammunition under the gun with cleaning cloth can help you get the right depth as needed.

John

roo_ster
November 18, 2006, 11:06 PM
I have used Pelicans for firearms when in the army & for computer equipment in my currrent occupation.

Teh pick & pluck works well, but a spray can of contact cement is your friend. Get the shape you desire and then use the CC to glue all the layers tpgehter (if your case is deep enough to require several layers).

Robert Hairless
November 21, 2006, 07:02 AM
Nice tip, Jason. Thanks.

dtalley
November 21, 2006, 02:55 PM
I have done as Raz-O and DragonRider said but used an electric knife to cut it in half. Saves a lot of time, than using a razor blade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is Pelican case Pick 'N' Pluck foam any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!