New 686P

PDA

Protein anchor
November 12, 2006, 01:06 AM
Just thought I would share that I just shot my new 686P this evening, very smooth. I really like the feel. The trigger action is smooth as can be, really. Using .357 packs a bit of a punch but nothing like my 642! Using .38 is easy shooting...not much recoil at all really. Great feel and weight combine to make this a fun shooter. Just thought I would pass this along for those that have been looking at a 686. Thanks, :)

If you enjoyed reading about "New 686P" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
vta33
November 12, 2006, 03:52 AM
What, no photos of this beauty?

Stainz
November 12, 2006, 06:04 AM
Now you need to acquaint yourself with Brownell's, and order a .357/.38 'Lewis Lead Remover' and both a properly sized bronze bore and a chamber brush for your .38 642 & .357 686. You can then shoot all of the .38 lead you want, knowing that any such buildup on the forcing cone or in the rifling will be quickly removed by that 'LLR', and the chamber crud from shooting short cased (.38) rounds in your .357 686 will be removed, too. They also stock both the 5-shot and 7-shot HKS Speedloaders you need, too. The four bit S&W screwdriver set they make, a 'Magna-Tip' set, is a useful item, should you want to remove the sideplate from either revolver (It is fun spending your money!). They are fine folks to order from, with decent prices and great service.

Both revolvers will 'wear-in' nicely in 1,000+ dry-fires. First, make sure it is empty - and your ammo is locked up elsewhere. Next, remove the grips, and, using an aerosol cleaner/lube, like RemOil (Wally World, etc), use the tube to get the spray into the innards via the openings in the grip, hand, bolt stop, and trigger... and that 686's hammer, too. Flood them... then, wrapping the revolver in a clean paper towel, shake until no more excess cleaner/lube is absorbed. Repeat as necessary until the paper towel shows uncontaminated cleaner/lube. Replace the grips, find a TV show you don't like, and dry-fire away, changing hands every 50 shots... and maybe an extended break, even overnite, at 500 shots. When through, repeat that cleaner/lube step, taking care to shake the gun as dry as possible in this case. Replace the grips, unlock your ammo, and take a trip to the range - you won't believe the results... you will have greatly improved the trigger - and, built-up your trigger finger muscles, too!

You have two of the finest S&W's - may they give you years of great security, service, and entertainment!

Stainz

Protein anchor
November 12, 2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys, that is some good advice Stainz...I will look into that site and see about the itmes you suggest. VTa, as far as pics...I need to get my camera out and find the transfer cable. I will post some, hopefully soon. Thanks again, :)

Brad686
November 12, 2006, 02:10 PM
That's one thing I loved about mine when I got it, the trigger. I shot a couple other revs before, including the GP100. It's not a bad gun by any means, just not for me. The SA is also great and the gun itself is very accurate with a 4" barrel.

Arcticfox
November 12, 2006, 02:15 PM
Good decision! Hard to beat a smith. That gun will last several generations!
And I'll bet you find it a very accurate target gun as well.

SJshooter
November 12, 2006, 02:59 PM
The 686 is, in my opinioin, the great best mass-production .357 ever made and the benchmark by which all other .357s are judged.

What size barrel did you get? Post some photos!

Also, you can put the Hogue rubber grips for made for the S&W .500 on the 686 and then your .357 magnums will feel not much worse than the .38s do at current.

Brad686
November 12, 2006, 06:24 PM
Also, you can put the Hogue rubber grips for made for the S&W .500 on the 686 and then your .357 magnums will feel not much worse than the .38s do at current.

Hell, that sounds like something I may try. I was contemplating some Hogue wood grips but that sounds better.

SJshooter
November 12, 2006, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I dont like the look of rubber... BUT, those Hogue .500s cover the backstrap with a lot of recoil-reducing rubber. Really takes the pop out of magnum rounds in the L-frame.

10-Ring
November 12, 2006, 09:42 PM
Congrats! S&W does have history of making a fine wheelgun...nice to hear you found one of the good ones!

Protein anchor
November 13, 2006, 12:48 AM
I got the 4" barrel. It shoots very nicely! I will post some pics as soon as I find the camera adaptor for my USB port...where did I have that last? :)

Brad686
November 13, 2006, 01:11 AM
With the 4" you'll find yourself taking out bowling pins at 100 yrds once or twice a wheel :)

If you enjoyed reading about "New 686P" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!