Blackhawk rebarreled

PDA

mugsie
November 12, 2006, 10:28 AM
I just purchased a Ruger Blackhawk and it looks like it was rebarreled by an amature. The sights are off top dead center - they are about 15 degrees to the left. It's almost as though someone didn't fully screw the barrel in all the way. It's extremly accurate however the way it is but looks funky. I was wondering, is this something I can just give to a decent gunsmith and have him screw in the barrel a couple more degrees? It is that simple or do I need to return it to the store and try to get them to take it back. This is the only thing wrong with the gun. BTW - I paid 270 for it. Thanks...

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk rebarreled" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Azrael256
November 12, 2006, 07:21 PM
A good 'smith should be able to fix it. It may require a tad bit of machine work, but it's definitely doable. Cranking the barrel down a turn is a common rebuild procedure for a well-worn revolver. I don't know how it affects the Blackhawk specifically, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Somebody probably screwed in the barrel as far as it would go, not knowing that you don't just screw it in and start shooting. There's fitting to be done to make it sit both straight and tight.

Jim Watson
November 12, 2006, 07:50 PM
Not visible in store lighting?

Is it a Ruger barrel or aftermarket?
If Ruger, I would get Ruger to fix it.
If not, finding the decent gunsmith will be the trick.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blackhawk rebarreled" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!