Question for women who carry...

PDA

Ladybug
May 20, 2003, 02:07 PM
Now that I have my perfect little ccw gun, I need to try to figure out how best to carry it. I asked about backpacks in a similar thread, but I do want some sort of holster as well. My main problem is that I will be attending school in the ghetto, so I definately want the gun with me there and back, but I can't carry into the actual building. Also, summers get pretty toasty in Arkansas, and I usually end up wearing summer dresses and sandals - not much room there to stick a gun. When it gets cold, it shouldn't be a problem - the Sig fits into my jacket and coat pockets (gosh, I love that gun!) How do you guys do it, and what are your suggestions?

TIA

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for women who carry..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JeanC
May 20, 2003, 02:27 PM
This is a question I have myself. I have not yet applied for my CCW, but I've been racking my brain about the best way to carry. I'm a big girl and finding a way to carry on my person comfortably is a problem. I look at all the pics on line for various methods for women to carry on their body and all the models are thin women. Not one is anywhere near as curvey as I am (think Venus of Willendorf :D ). I do have a purse with a nice concealed pocket in it tho, so that is how I plan on carrying mine when I get my permit.

I can't carry at work tho as I work for a university where the regents have a regulation that disarms all faculty, staff and students. Hubby can carry on campus, he's a regular community person, but I can't :fire:

Trisha
May 20, 2003, 03:58 PM
Hi!
You might want to try an inexpensive improvisation I've found works awfully well - and it's simple:
A FOBUS Roto-paddle holster slips perfectly into the lower half of an elastic athletic knee brace. If you're right handed, put the brace on your left knee and slip the paddle right in, so that the top of the slide is about level with the top of your kneecap. It makes for an accessible draw seated or standing, and a broomstick/summer skirt (at most with a light slip) and it disappears.
The holster slips out for secure storage in your personal vehicle when you are required to obey local disarmament laws in an instant. The paddle surface can be made to be more comfortable in warmer weather with some peel-and-stick moleskin.
An absolutely silent (FOBUS can rattle a bit) alternative is the suede-lined HELLWEG KSTC with SBP option for more drop adjustment; but HELLWEG is somewhat pricier, and takes a strip of heavy, stretchable neoprene with some velcro to secure it to the knee brace (a couple minutes with a sewing machine).
Another option is to attach an Uncle Mikes ballistic nylon holster to the bottom edge of a comfortable sports bra for a horizontal, across-the-body draw - it works great with trapeeze or untucked light tops that don't get tucked in or are so light that they'd display the holster through the fabric.

I hope these ideas help!

Trisha

SADshooter
May 20, 2003, 04:03 PM
I'm no lady, ;) but I do have a suggestion. I have been using one of the Anderson Enterprises fanny packs from www.gungear.com for years. They offer multiple sizes, nylon or leather, and the nylon packs can be ordered bi-tone. Yes, fanny packs do have disadvantages over concealed on-body holsters, but with casual, "sporty" clothing in hot climates, I think its a viable option.

pax
May 21, 2003, 02:00 PM
Ladybug,

I'm not a fan of off-body carry, such as in a purse or backpack. There are just too many ways that can go wrong. I dunno, maybe it would work for you. But me, well, I put my stuff down sometimes. What good is a gun that is clear across the room from me, back where I was sitting when I dashed for a good hiding place, or on top of the table I am hiding underneath? It's just too likely to happen that my gun will be out of reach when I need it.

Most women have waists that are smaller than their hips (I don't even want to hear about the exceptions, all you skinny women with no curves! :p). The natural curves of a woman's body make it hard for most of us to carry in the classically-preferred spot on the point of the hip -- that is, unless we want to look like lumpy water buffalos on steroids.

A lot of women try just this one spot on the point of the hip, since it's where the men in their lives tell them they are supposed to carry, and discover that it not only doesn't feel good, but that it makes them look as fat and lumpy as Jabba the Hutt. From this, they conclude that they can't carry a weapon and they just give up. Some of them try this spot with an oversized gun, and discover that even Jabba the Hutt's gun would have printed noticeably.

There are other options. Several women I know use a belly-band regularly. They've never worked for me, but might for you. Flat guns work better for this than wheel guns. Move it around a bit and see if you can find the magic spot, which is different from one person to the next. One woman I know carries hers under her left breast, where the fabric pulls away from her body; another wears hers down around her waistline; another wears hers around her left side under her arm.
Try taking a regular IWB holster, and move it around on your belt until you find a comfortable spot. For me, it's the spot halfway between my right hip and my belly button ('appendix carry'). Your magic spot might be in front of the hip, like mine, or you might find the spot behind the hip to work well.
Try an IWB holster in the cross draw position.
An ankle holster might work for you, if you habitually wear slacks.
If you ordinarily wear dresses and skirts, consider trying a good thigh holster.
I dunno what kind of gun you have, but if it's small enough, you might consider getting a pocket holster for it. The Kel-Tec P32 is the best at this that I know of.
A friend of mine has a really cute vest with built in holsters on either side. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to wear this every day, but (see the rest of the post below).
Another lady I know uses a shoulder holster fairly often. She often wears business suits and is also fond of bolero jackets.

Any one of these options will probably work for you sometimes. Probably no one of these will work all the time. I'm spoiled because my lifestyle lets me wear jeans most days of the week, in a climate where people wear sweatshirts & jackets almost year-round. Even so, I've had to find other options in addition to my main carry method of IWB appendix. Dressing up is a challenge -- it is possible to find skirts that have belt loops wide enough to accept a sturdy gun belt, but you can't wear an IWB holster with a one piece dress.

Frankly, I think holsters and carry options are kind of like shoes for a lot of women: you'll have to change them when you change your outfit. Just don't give up until you find what works.

HTH.

pax

Dress simply. If you wear a dinner jacket, don't wear anything else on it ... like lunch or dinner. -- George Burns

BigG
May 21, 2003, 02:25 PM
...lumpy water buffalos on steroids ...Jabba the Hutt...

What a visual! :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Question for women who carry..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!