Feeding a .303 Enfield

PDA

Bart Noir
May 20, 2003, 02:24 PM
My brother got a No.4 Mk 1 so I did also. Soon I hope to be on the same rifle range with him, to establish bragging rights. I have some ammo in stripper clips and some not in clips. There might be some tricks to loading the clips, feeding the rounds out of clips, or loading the rifle with loose rounds. I say this because of the rims on the cartridges and the rumors of something really, really scary called "rim-lock". Do these rifles need some special technique in loading, so that the rounds will feed out of the magazine without my brother laughing at me?

Bart Noir
"An expert is someone who has already made all the possible mistakes." I've almost got the certificate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Feeding a .303 Enfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sactown
May 20, 2003, 02:27 PM
Ammo in the clips needs to be loaded in a pattern:

__---__---__

9mmepiphany
May 20, 2003, 02:58 PM
polishing the inside of the clips will smooth their feeding.

try some of the new PMP ammo from south africa. it is non-corrosive, brass cased and boxer primed.

Dave Markowitz
May 20, 2003, 03:41 PM
Sactown has it right. Stripper clips for Lee-Enfileds need to be loaded "two up, three down". His diagram is showing you the position of the cartridge rims in the clip.

Andrew Wyatt
May 20, 2003, 04:16 PM
the stripper clips need to be loaded one up, one down, like described.

the magazines need to be loaded so the rim of the round next up to feed is ahead of the one behind it.

Willard
May 20, 2003, 04:22 PM
If the stripper clips feel like the rounds are sticking when you load polish the insides with emory cloth.
If the cases are bulged near the base you can order a new bolt head (get the next number higher than your current one) and tighten up the headspace.
Get the adjustable rear sight if you don't have one. SMLE's can be wonderfully accurate, even with old ammo. I regularly outshoot AK's and AR's with mine at rattle battles.
Use your index finger and thumb to work the bolt, use your middle finger to work the trigger. It can sound like a semi auto if you are fast enough.

Willard

If you enjoyed reading about "Feeding a .303 Enfield" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!