629 date of manufacture question

PDA

scandiumcannon
November 12, 2006, 05:47 PM
I just picked up a S&W 8" 629 on an impulse buy. I had actually planned to buy a 6.5" barrel in a few months, but found a used gun in great shape & jumped on it. In any event, I was wondering how old this .44 mag is, if it can handle hot mags like new 629's, if this gun has a warranty like new S&W's and if it's safe to dry fire. The only numbers that I can find on the frame are:
BKD 93xx
&
MOD 629-3
Any information will be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

If you enjoyed reading about "629 date of manufacture question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
November 12, 2006, 05:57 PM
M629-3 is between 1990 and 1994.

Not sure re the BKD - but the SN should be on grip frame base ... check with grips off. Post the first few letters and numbers.

IIRC this gun will be metallurgically sound, tho I still hesitate to put uber hot stuff (still safe loads I might add!) thru like I might in a Ruger. Gun won't burst but might loosen quicker over time with sustained heavies.

scandiumcannon
November 12, 2006, 06:09 PM
Just popped off the grips & found the numbers:
9037 6xx
Thanks again

P95Carry
November 12, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hmmm - red face!

Checked to see if I could link that SN to dates but in SC of S&W could not find anything for N frames beyond the N numbered ones.

Maybe Fuff or Jim Watson can help on this.

If you enjoyed reading about "629 date of manufacture question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!