357 shooting high

PDA

tssievert
November 12, 2006, 05:53 PM
i have a rossi 357 that shoots high with every load i try. i've only loaded 158 grain jhps for it, berrys and hornady. with the 38 powered loads it shoots way high, like a foot and a half. when i speed them up to 357 power levels it gets closer, like 6 inches. my question is would a lighter or heavier bullet lower my point of impact?

thanks

btw this is all at 25 yards

If you enjoyed reading about "357 shooting high" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Archie
November 12, 2006, 06:14 PM
Heavier bullets give more momentum, which cause the gun to rotate up more in recoil prior to the bullet leaving the barrel.

Slower loads stay in the barrel longer, which means they have longer to be effected by the motion of the barrel.

So, heavier bullets print higher. Slower bullets print higher. These are separate functions. However, since heavier bullets in a given caliber are typically slower, the effect doubles up. Light, fast bullets print lower.

Usually, there's enough adjustment in adjustable sights to correct your sight picture. For a fixed sight gun, this can be problematic.

Jacobus Rex
November 12, 2006, 07:00 PM
As Archie said, slower bullets will hit higher. It can have a pretty dramatic effect. I used to have an 8" barreled Dan Wesson that shot dead on with normal loads but shot about 8" high at 10 yards with low velocity wadcutters.

The problem is caused by the recoil impulse starting before the bullet exits the barrel.

highlander 5
November 12, 2006, 07:53 PM
try a lighter bullet.The bullet hitting higher or lower is a result of where the bullet leaves in the recoil arc.
Speer manuals used to have a very good explanation of the effect of bullet weight and target impact but I can't find it in the # 13 manual.

The Bushmaster
November 12, 2006, 10:46 PM
Drop to a 140 grain bullet and try again...

Clark
November 13, 2006, 09:59 AM
I have a revolver that I want to shoot 250 gr bullets fast, but the revolver's sights were not made for it.

I could just shoot lighter bullets, but....

I welded on some more front sight height
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=25775&d=1119584159

Doug b
November 13, 2006, 11:03 AM
Tssievert the light /heavy bullet issue you asked about has been covered well.I wonder though are you sighting in on a depressed muzzle,as in, the muzzle is higher than the target.If so this will cause everything to shoot high.

Nhsport
November 14, 2006, 02:55 PM
Many of the lighter or shorter 357's will shoot different loads to wildly different points . You can try different loads (both weight and power). I agree that it isn't really shooting that much higher or lower but recoiling or twisting different in your hand.

If you enjoyed reading about "357 shooting high" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!