Now I went and did it.

PDA

dodge
May 20, 2003, 04:22 PM
For years I've been wanting a Marlin 45/70 but been holding off due to stories that I've been told about the recoil. Well about a month ago my friend and I went shooting and he happened to have one in stainless. After shooting it, it became a must have item on my wish list. I ordered a guide gun in blue w/o ports and now I wondered what the big trouble is with the recoil. With factory rounds I don't feel that it's any worse the my 30-06 and so much more fun to shoot. Now I need to make up my mind on whether I want to scope it or not. The only problem I have with it right now is the price of factory rounds ($20.95/20 rounds) and I know that before to long a set of loading dies will grace my loading bench. Can't hardly wait until deer season to try it out on a deer. Oh, yeah, My son shot it today and got his nose a little too close to his thumb after I warned him about hanging on to it because it would buck and roar but you may know how teenagers are knowing everything. He also wants to try it out for deer season but dad has first try with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Now I went and did it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawkman
May 20, 2003, 05:19 PM
Factory 405gr loads run about 1300 fps, which is far lower pressures than the GG can handle. Handload a few up to max and pressure then you may notice some recoil!:D

Preacherman
May 20, 2003, 10:42 PM
... or try a few of the Garrett Hammerheads or Buffalo Bore stompers through it. Ouch! Still, very nice to know that you can get that much thump on the receiving end as well... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Now I went and did it." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!