Cleaning the revolver barrel?

PDA

Wayne02
November 13, 2006, 12:27 AM
What's your technique for cleaning and lubing your revolver barrels from the cylinder end? Anybody use the knockout rope cleaning product or the bore snake rope cleaning product? If so, how do they work?

Do you apply solvent and/or clp (lubricant type stuff) to the rope?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning the revolver barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
razorburn
November 13, 2006, 12:52 AM
Yes. They work just fine. Very simple, just pop out the cylinder, drop the boresnakes weight through it, and pull. I put some hoppes 9 at the head of the rope.

RON in PA
November 13, 2006, 01:45 AM
Boresnake works fine for me, I apply a few drops of Breakfree CLP to the section with the brass brush.

SJshooter
November 13, 2006, 03:38 AM
I spray the barrel with FP-10 (I prefer it to breakfree) and then run a bore snake thru. I do this at the range when I am done shooting and the barrel is still warm. This makes the cleaning at home SO. MUCH. EASIER.

Once home, I give my gun the following routine. This takes anywhere from 15-45 minutes, although I usually take the full 45 because I like to get my guns looking nearly unfired before put-away.

http://attrition.org/technical/firearms/357clean/

http://www.geocities.com/kemays/cleanrev.html

TonyT
November 13, 2006, 11:32 AM
For CF revolvers, I swipe a bronze brush through the barrel and cylinders 3 or 4 times and then followup with some Hoppes #9 on a cloth patch. For rimfire revolvers a patch soaked in Hoppes #9 attached to some nylon monfilament line does the trick.

Wayne02
November 13, 2006, 12:24 PM
Boresnake works fine for me, I apply a few drops of Breakfree CLP to the section with the brass brush.

Do you use any solvent during cleaning? If so do you put that on the snake as well?

I guess what I'm wondering is if the bore snake should be used for both cleaning (with solvent) and lubing (with clp or other), OR should the bore snake only be used for cleaning, and a patch(s) be used for after cleaning lubrication/protection?

Seems like you would not want to mix both solvent and lube on the same snake?

How are you guys washing your snakes? The gun cleaning snakes I mean. :)

2ndamd
November 13, 2006, 12:43 PM
I use both solvant and CLP on the snake.

I put Barnes in front of the brush and CLP toward the end of the snake. One step cleaning and lubing.

SJshooter
November 13, 2006, 01:10 PM
You can't really use the snake to lube. You gotta tug it through too much, they get dirty and they have bristles. You can wash them, but I usually give them 20-30 uses before I just buy another one. The same solvent you put on the snake to get rid of the fouling also eats away at the snake's bristles.

I find running the snake through when the barrel is warm after shooting saves me about 10-20 pulls with a wire brush, maybe more. I keep it in the bag it came in, in my range bag. Done shooting, pull the snake, put the snake in the bag. When I get home and then clean, that snake has done a lot of work for me.

Just run a wet/damp patch through when you are all done and that is all the lubing your barrel should need at the end. Just a light film to prevent corrosion.

Wayne02
November 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
When you guys run your patch through the barrel what do you use for this?

I've been playing around with the string trimmer/knot concept and while this works ok for pulling the patch through from the cylinder end. It seems like something that would hold the patch in a more uniform round shape as it goes through the barrel would be better?

Yeah, I know, I'm getting too anal about this. ;)

GunNut
November 14, 2006, 02:41 PM
I guess I'll have to pick up a boresnake and try it on my Colt New Frontier.

This is one reason I really like my semi-autos, they're easy to clean.

Steve

Confederate
November 14, 2006, 06:22 PM
I like swabbing the barrel with a large nylon bristle brush soaked with Hoppes, then using a snake bore cleaner to get out the gunk. I also use standard patches with BreakFree when everything's clean and dry.

SJshooter
November 15, 2006, 02:50 AM
I've been playing around with the string trimmer/knot concept and while this works ok for pulling the patch through from the cylinder end. It seems like something that would hold the patch in a more uniform round shape as it goes through the barrel would be better?

You're looking for a "jag" tip. This screws into your cleaning rod and pushes the patch through tightly.

Wayne02
November 15, 2006, 10:00 AM
You're looking for a "jag" tip. This screws into your cleaning rod and pushes the patch through tightly.

Yes, I do have those, but how do you "push" the patch through the barrel from the cylinder end?

SJshooter
November 15, 2006, 10:40 AM
Yes, I do have those, but how do you "push" the patch through the barrel from the cylinder end?

You "pull" it back through from the front!

TX1911fan
November 15, 2006, 11:09 AM
I have been using a pistol cleaning rod and going in from the muzzle end, but I just can't get comfortable with that. I'm going to start using my Otis kit or a bore snake and going in from the other end. Makes me feel more comfortable.

Wayne02
November 15, 2006, 01:10 PM
You "pull" it back through from the front!

Hmm, I don't think you are tracking with me here. The post deals with cleaning revolver barrel from the cylinder end to avoid potential crown damage, thus the discussion re bore snakes and such. I understand the use of a patch jag when running it down the barrel from the muzzle end, how is the patch jag used from the cylinder end?????

Wayne02
November 15, 2006, 01:12 PM
I have been using a pistol cleaning rod and going in from the muzzle end, but I just can't get comfortable with that. I'm going to start using my Otis kit or a bore snake and going in from the other end. Makes me feel more comfortable.

Yep, that's what I've been thinking as well...

Shakey357
November 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
I saw that TX1911 fan was uncomfortable running the cleaning rod jag and patch in from the muzzle end. My suggestion is that after swinging the cylinder out, place a small piece of wood in the space where the cylinder was. If you force the cleaning rod thru too fast and/or hard it hits the wood before nicking up your revolver. It also stops anything from happening to the firing pin/hammer hole. It's worked on about half-a-dozen revolvers for me. However, I am intrigued with the "bore snakes" that everyone is discussing. I'll have to try one of those.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning the revolver barrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!