Simmons 30mm "Red Dot", any opinion?

PDA

ZeSpectre
November 13, 2006, 11:46 AM
Saw the Simmons 30mm "red dot" type sight for $40 while I was out over the weekend. Thought that might be a fun thing to add to the collection even though I don't have a specific use for it at the moment.

Anyone got any working knowledge of this sight?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Simmons 30mm "Red Dot", any opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Werewolf
November 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
I have no experience with the $40 Simmons but have have owned or own 3 different BSA $40 red dots, A Bushnell and a number of Chinese Red Dots.

The BSA's held up to AR-15's, a Saiga Rifle 7.62X39, a .357 Mag but failed (partially when attached to my .44 Mag - the dot stayed put but stuff flaked off the inside and stuck to both the front and back lenses). The chinese red dots surprisingly have stood up to everything I've thrown at them. The Bushnell Trophy model failed right out of the Box - it's replacement still sits on my .357 and works well.

For what I want they work fine but I no longer buy $40 red dots. Why not? Parralax is an issue - big time. The dot sometimes has flare which is annoying and they go thru batteries like crazy. My Nikon Red Dot on the other hand is a quality optical sight. Parralax isn't an issue. The dot is round and focused and it rides my .44 Mag when I put it on their with NO problems.

MY POINT?
When it comes to red dots you get what you pay for and I can't imagine that a $40 Simmons red dot would be any better than any other $40 dollar red dot. If I'm wrong someone let me know because I'm a cheap SOB and if I can get a decent red dot sight for $40 then I'm all for it.

ZeSpectre
November 13, 2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks Werewolf, It's probably going to live on a .22LR so it wouldn't get banged around.

If you enjoyed reading about "Simmons 30mm "Red Dot", any opinion?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!