T/C Contender problem

PDA

Rottweiler
November 13, 2006, 11:05 AM
Just bought a new barrel for my contender. It mounted up just like the other 3 I have, BUT, I can't open the action therefore I can't even take the barrel back off to see what's wrong or swap back to an operable barrel.

How do I get the barrel off?

Any ideas why this happened?

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Contender problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rbernie
November 13, 2006, 12:06 PM
Can't you remove the forearm and drift out the pivot pin even with the action locked? (I'm familiar with Encores, not Contenders..)

Rottweiler
November 13, 2006, 04:22 PM
I have the forearm off and the pivot pin out. The barrel STILL won't release from the frame when I squeeze the trigger guard.:cuss:

Next step is going to be remove the pin that the trigger guard pivots on and see what's under there

hoghunting
November 13, 2006, 05:41 PM
Put the frame in a vise and push down on the breech end of the barrel as you pull the trigger guard. You might be able to push the barrel down enough to release it. I haven't had that problem with any of mine, so I'm just making suggestions.

Ohen Cepel
November 13, 2006, 05:44 PM
Man,
nasty problem, sorry I don't have any advice for you. Please let us know in the end what the problem is. With my luck, I can see me having the same issue down the road.

Rottweiler
November 14, 2006, 07:36 AM
Tried that hoghunting, didn't work either. Trigger/triggerguard assembly is coming off when I get home from work tonight.

Geno
November 14, 2006, 09:01 AM
Take it to a gunsmith. If you mess it up, you void your warranty.

Doc2005

44AMP
November 16, 2006, 02:29 AM
There have been two or maybe three different variations of the Contender frame and barrels. Not sure exactly what the difference is, but it has something to do with the "step" on the bottom of the barrel lug. Problems like yours can happen when using a different generation frame and barrel. I have been warned that this can happen, but never full details.

Perhaps some experts out there can clear this up?

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Contender problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!