Another senseless gun death?

PDA

srschick
May 20, 2003, 05:16 PM
found this at some idiots site http://www.gunguys.com/mailbag.htm (www.gunguys.com/mailbag.htm) :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another senseless gun death

My uncle was a munitions instructor in World War II, so he was more familiar with safe handling of guns then the average pistol-packing ???????. A few days ago, he was cleaning one of his guns and it discharged hitting him in the head. The wound was inoperable because of the bullet's close proximity to his brain. He died at 9:45am this morning -- highly sedated and yet still screaming in pain. Now tell me again why it is important to own a f***ing firearm?

Katherine Colletti
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um..... "so he was more familiar with safe handling of guns then the average pistol-packing ???????"

Obviously not, if he was cleaning a LOADED firearm :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Another senseless gun death?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ledbetter
May 20, 2003, 05:58 PM
Obviously the gun's fault.

She's right, no one should be allowed to own a firearm, since her geezer uncle "expert" couldn't remember Rule Number 1.:rolleyes:

The letters at that site are a riot. They're either from idiots like the above or from RKBA advocates who are offended by the sheer amount of stupidity that appears under the name of "Mike Magnum."

dinosaur
May 20, 2003, 06:01 PM
I saw this buried on that site Micro posted. Yeah, he was familiar with firearms being a munitions instructor. :rolleyes: Well, it took him 60 years to figure out what he was doing wrong. Not that I really believe what I read on those sites.

Don`t even bother with these people. Without a rigidly structured environment, they couldn`t survive.:barf:

Standing Wolf
May 20, 2003, 09:04 PM
Leftists are moral and intellectual parasites—and poor writers into the bargain.

Feanaro
May 20, 2003, 09:08 PM
Her uncle's fault, not the gun's.

P95Carry
May 20, 2003, 09:14 PM
This sh*t really takes my breath away .... and that comment from dear ''Katherine'' is so absurd, like it was the gun's fault! Sheesh.

I mean............. you wanna clean a gun? Right .... seems well logical to EMPTY it first, yeah? How in hell did a guy with supposedly this much experience achieve this height of negligence.? What was he smoking?:(

blades67
May 20, 2003, 09:23 PM
If he knew more than the average gun owner, why didn't he know enough to empty the gun before cleaning it and not to point it at his head while it was loaded?:scrutiny: :rolleyes:

She's just mad because he won the Darwin Award first.:rolleyes:

DMK
May 20, 2003, 10:02 PM
Ok, what's the difference between this guy and the guy who sticks a fork in his toaster without unplugging it? :rolleyes:

Now tell me again why it is important to own a f***ing toaster? :fire:

QuickDraw
May 20, 2003, 10:19 PM
highly sedated and yet still screaming in pain. :confused:

Something tells me this was added to make it "scary".:rolleyes:

If someone is "highly sedated",they wouldn't be screaming
or anything else for that matter.I've been in pain,been highly sedated,I didn't scream.I did drool a little though :D .

QuickDraw

goalie
May 20, 2003, 10:31 PM
Guys,

Accidental discharge is what they call it when they are too polite to call it a suicide. When I worked on an ambulance I saw a few "gun cleaning" accidents that were blatant attempts to spare the family from dealing with a suicide. I find it amazing that people actually will believe that someone who made it through 60-80 years on this planet and used firearms from the ripe old age of 8 without incident (including a stint in the service) all of the sudden "forget" to unload their handgun and then somehow "accidentally" squeeze the trigger while the thing is conveniently (or not, depending on if he/she really wanted to commit suicide) pointed right at their head. :rolleyes:

I guess if you have the cleaning gear out, they will call it an accident and no one cares. Well, unless you are within the first year or so of a big life-insurance policy. They the ods are a lot greater that it will be contested by the insurance company if there is a "suicide clause" with a waiting period in the policy.

sonny
May 20, 2003, 10:38 PM
I'm sure I'm gonna catch hell for this.....but have you or have you not heard of people who are well schooled in firearms safety making ONE fatal mistake in their lives?
Nobody thinks bad stuff can happen to them.....I'm sure the geezer THOUGHT the gun was clear....agree?....why else was he attempting to clean it?
Call me an idiot but one time at a toll both I rolled a little to far up with my car ......I put it in reverse, backed up a couple of feet ,paid the toll and hit the gas .......durrrrrr....I went backwards (forgot to put the car back in gear)I was alert enough to hit the brake imidiatelly and put the car back in drive.
I work in constuction and I know a countless # of men that are missing fingers and what not......I guess they are idiots too?
I don't think so....It's a dangerous life ...constuction that is.
Pointing the gun at his head?.....MISTAKE.....Not checking ,double checking and triple checking the chamber BIG MISTAKE
If this girl thinks everyone should have to pay the price for her uncles negligence.....I say she's dead wrong......but hell if I'm not going to consider this story as a "it could happen to you" kind of story.
My point?......Anyone who thinks that they are negligance or mistake proof is fooling themselves.....Nobody thinks they are making a FATAL mistake WHILE they are making it.anyone see my point?

capt_happypants
May 20, 2003, 11:50 PM
It's not just a matter of one mistake - he violated all four principles of gun safety. I've been around two NDs, and thank God both individuals followed followed Rule 2.

This wasn't an accident. Dear old Gramps ended his life by choice, not by accident.

jmbg29
May 21, 2003, 12:11 AM
Another senseless gun death? Guns are not alive, ergo they cannot die. Next question.

sonny
May 21, 2003, 12:19 AM
Capt,
This wasn't an accident. Dear old Gramps ended his life by choice, not by accident
I'm not sure exactly what you mean....suicide?

Ladybug
May 21, 2003, 12:26 AM
but have you or have you not heard of people who are well schooled in firearms safety making ONE fatal mistake in their lives?

ONE mistake... like not unloading the gun? or pointing it at his head? or pulling the trigger?

R127
May 21, 2003, 12:29 AM
My guess is there's no uncle, and Katherine is a male.

sonny
May 21, 2003, 12:45 AM
Ladybug ,
All I'm suggesting is that it HAS unfortunatly happened before to people who have had a PREVIOUS history of proper gun handling and safety........I guess my point was not clear....it was a question...Kind of a yes or no question.... If this story is true it is not the first time and it won't be the last time that something like this CAN happen.....I'm not blaming the gun.....I'm blaming human error

mephisto
May 21, 2003, 12:55 AM
When I was a kid my mom told me that my grandpas brother died while he was cleaning his gun. I was 6 so I did not think of the facts of what it takes to clean a gun. While I was a boy scout we had a man come to one of our troop meetings and we had a class on firearm safty. Needless to say that at the end of our class I had come to realize that my moms uncle had shot himself. Its sad that we live in the realm of fear, a fear of not knowing the truth of so many things. Where a stupid person with a sense of "duty" can place a vote, A vote that has the same weigth as a person who has studied the facts and knows the truth. I cant clean a gun with a bullet in it, how can I get my boresnake through it? Just a fact.

Mephisto

Nippy
May 21, 2003, 03:04 AM
When I clean my gun i drop the mag and check if im clear. Then I remove the barrel. AND then I start to clean my gun from the inside.... I don't see how else you can clean your gun. This is probably a fake story made up by some person that has never cleaned a gun before or the dude shot himself (suicide) and the family being embarassed about it reported it as an accident.

mini14jac
May 21, 2003, 09:31 AM
I've got to agree with goalie on this one.
How many of you actually point the gun at your head when cleaning it?

If I want to look down the barrel, it does no good unless the chamber is open, so I can see sunlight, right?
This guy offed himself, and the police didn't want to publish the word "suicide", to avoid embarassing the family.

Yes, NDs do happen, even to long time shooters who should know better.
Maybe into the floor, the wall, their leg, their buddy's head, ..... but into their own head??? What are the odds?

Growing up, I had a buddy whose sister was killed by her cop husband. She was lying on the couch asleep, while he was "cleaning" his gun. (This was in the days before Glock.)
Yeah, it could have been an honest accident, but knowing the guy, seeing him sleeping with high school girls a few weeks after the funeral, I just don't buy it.

Carlos Cabeza
May 21, 2003, 10:18 AM
If you suffer from ignorance, carelessness and stupidity............
it will eventually get you.................

Oleg Volk
May 21, 2003, 10:38 AM
That site is a parody and so the cases/letters posted aren't even real.

P95Carry
May 21, 2003, 11:50 AM
"RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY "

Others have mentioned it but I'll repeat it ....... if any of the four should never be broken, it is this one ....... adherance to this should guarantee no harm to anyone.

I can confess to two A/D's (N/D's!!) ....... One was in a compo' .... bit too eager on the line with trigger before targets turned .... shot into the ground .... no problems except I was disqualified!:(

The other ...... racking a 20G Mossy 500 ... thinking mag was empty .... it wasn't ... went to dry fire, as I thought .. Bang! Stupid in the extreme but ..... it was pointing at floor .. concrete ... no harm to anyone ..... just my ego! Salutary lesson.

This case is one that can be dissected and discussed ad infinitum ... but it still comes back to something beyond negligence IMO, whatever you say sonny ........ this was way too many errors - for any gun owner!

shermacman
May 21, 2003, 02:18 PM
What 'cleaning' procedure involves a live, chambered round, safety off, with the barrel pointed at your skull, finger on the trigger?

If you enjoyed reading about "Another senseless gun death?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!