Cleaning 642 Internals

PDA

Hydra-Shok
November 13, 2006, 11:47 PM
When I take the side plate off the right side of the 642 sometimes the cogs and springs & stuff are dirty & it looks like over "oiled" Should they be dry" or lubed with light silicon, or Hopp's or WHAT. Cleaned everything with good non-corrosive degreaser/oiler and just dabbed a little silicon liquid on triger slide on frame bottom. All else is dry. Should I be doing anything else.. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning 642 Internals" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
November 13, 2006, 11:55 PM
A squirt of WD-40 will do. You shouldn't have to take the side plate off for anything but doing a trigger job.

Hydra-Shok
November 13, 2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks very much

Waywatcher
November 14, 2006, 12:44 AM
WD-40 will harden into gunk and give you a nice gritty trigger. I would use a very, very small amount of CLP.

Hydra-Shok
November 14, 2006, 09:58 AM
sorry to be goofy but what is CLP is the same a like remington gun oil? thanks

PythonFan
November 14, 2006, 10:41 AM
CLP = clean/lube/protect, like breakfree etc.

I think any light machine oil should work ok.

FunYet
November 14, 2006, 10:50 AM
Not sure if it's correct or not but I've been told that DW40 can seep under primers and render ammo unusable.

P95Carry
November 14, 2006, 05:40 PM
A squirt of WD-40 will do.

No - no - no!!! WD stands for water displacement - and the product has no serious lube qualities. Once the voltile content has evaporated off then as Waywatcher mentions - you are most likely gonna be left with gummy residue!

Some do say that enough WD can permeate primers and render them unviable. It would take a significant surplus floating around IMO to do this and in fact any thin lube could be equally effective at doing this.

Less is more with gun lube - and Breakfree is one good choice. These days too even Mobil1 is very versatile. Lube can attract crud so an excess does no favors.

Majic
November 14, 2006, 07:07 PM
Except for a wet firearm that won't be cleaned right away WD-40 should be kept far away.
Lightly lube with one of the many gun lubes on the market today. A little lube goes a long ways.

JLaw
November 14, 2006, 10:26 PM
WD-40 is a no-no...

I bought a revolver that had been "cleaned" with WD-40, the firing pin and firing pin spring were so gunked up that the firing pin acted like it had no spring. So when you closed the cylinder of the revolver, if the muzzle was pointed down, the cylinder would not close because the firing pin would hit the back side of the ammunition in the cylinder.

If you want to clean it out with something, clean it out with some of the gun cleaner in a spray can, then re-lube it from there.

JLaw

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning 642 Internals" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!